First World Problems | Pad Patter 10.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 17, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Any first world problems going on in your life these days??

Friday afternoon Chance and I decided we'd get the grass mowing out of the way so that we wouldn't have to worry about it this weekend. The mower was struggling a bit, so I stopped it to pull some grass out from underneath. My watch was in the way, so I took it off and set it to the side, thinking to myself "don't forget to pick it back up". Guess who forgot to pick it back up. I started the mower, pushed one time, and heard *crunch*. Bye bye Apple Watch :(
    It was an older one and I was looking to possibly upgrade soon, but I really relied on that sucker a lot lol. I've worn it every day for 3 years and have gotten use to it notifying me of everything!

Another one for me was the day Facebook was down. We were trying to order Chick-Fil-A for dinner and I couldn't log in to my account on the app because it's linked to my FB account :giggle

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We've been dealing with internet problems for about a month, particularly bad in the past week. The signal will completely cut off or is so slow nothing will load. The service tech came out at 8:00 am on Saturday morning (waking me from my beauty rest LOL) and now we have a new modem/router and some cable changed, and we are rocking and rolling again. But before then, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I remember when there was no internet or the first days of dial up and waiting half an hour to connect my work laptop. I would have been grateful for the service we've been having. But now that we have the fastest/best, it is hard to go backwards.

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Still have a computer that doesn't have everything I need since a restart made it think it was a new installation and made me go through set up. Did it to me twice. I refuse to restart it until a tech friend can be here while it does.

The new setup wiped all my settings for my programs and at first I thought all my documents were gone since clicking on the links in file explorer show nothing. Thankfully everything was found in the Users folder in file explorer. Digi scrapping fold still in tact thankfully!

I have a subscription to Office 365 and the restart completely wiped that out as well. It also corrupted my PSP 2021 so I had to download it again and go through all the registration and setup again. (2nd restart wiped it all out again). My Picasa database disappeared as well. I had played with tagging in Bridge a couple weeks ago and Bridge was gone. After downloading it again, no tags were there. I did find a txt file of tags from before and after going through the stuff that had been tagged using Windows Properties, I fixed the txt file and imported it.

So all this week I have been saving anything I do on both the hard drive and 2 EHD's. That includes exporting passwords saved in MS Edge and printing the file along with my passwords spreadsheet. Also printed copies of some of the registration keys for important software. If I modify a spreadsheet, it gets saved in 2 places right away.

My start menu has some programs listed twice since I've had to reinstall them. I have no idea how to get rid of the one that doesn't work. I've run multiple scans since it happened a week ago Saturday and everything comes back as being OK. I just don't know why a restart forced it to do a new computer setup. So for the most part I have only been surfing the web using it this week. No scrapping.

And, you know those emails you get from some websites when you login from a different device asking if it was you... getting those as well. Even my bank thinks I'm using a different computer.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

My son is being honored in a school ceremony for National Merit Commended Scholars. But all I can think about it today is, "Shoot--that means I need to find time to go buy appropriate shoes for him!" We did the pants last weekend and he said he was pretty sure his old shoes fit, but they do not.

IntenseMagic and bestcee like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Jan, that's a shame about your Apple watch! I'd be sick, but if you were thinking about a new one - now's the time. Mine mysteriously stopped running recently and we were SO close to getting me a new one. We even went to look at them, but I drug my feet on the price. DH started playing around with my watch and voila! I don't know what he did but it started working again. I was SO glad we didn't plunk all that money down for a new one.

My 9 month old great granddaughter, Kinleigh and her mommy were here for a few days. They flew home to Michigan today. We had a great time with the baby.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We had load shedding again recently - that's where the power grid does rolling blackouts for two hour stretches.
    However we splurged on a battery back up system which now runs the plugs in the house - not the lights (but lamps will work), not aircon, stove and geyser. Still being able to watch tv, make tea or have the wifi running all the time - simply life-changing!

Karen, IntenseMagic and bestcee like this.
  7. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I would have cried about my watch even if it was old. That sucks.

We use an app to turn on/off the lights in the house and every once in awhile it will fall off the network. So all you can do is keep refreshing the app because it will say living room light not found. You would think I would just walk over and turn it on/off but what’s the point of the app then?

IntenseMagic and Memaw2Wm like this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

That really sucks about the watch.
    I really struggle if the internet goes down and I can't open up my phone apps. I use them all throughout the day to check the weather, Weight Watchers app (which went down for a day last week which really drove me nuts b/c, heaven forbid, I would have to write some info down on a piece of paper LOL), library app, pinterest and other social medial sites along with the digi stuff of course.

Our lawnmower crapped out a few wkends ago and we get it back today, it was in for repairs. I can remember my dad having a push mower when I was a kid and couldn't imagine anyone doing that now. So, we will be happy to get the mower back and if the weather cooperates, we'll have cut grass next wkend.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Completely First World Problem:
    My mother in law keeps wanting to have the family events on her calendar. But when I add them, she deletes them because "it's not my thing". :confused::mad: We had to take her off the family calendar because she kept deleting stuff we needed to know about.

10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Two weekends ago my monitor went on the fritz ... no clue if I hit a wrong button, accidentally changed a setting or what. Reset it (multiple times), turned it on and off, shut down the monitor and CPU and waited 12+ hours ... pixels were still brightening/fading and even changing colors. So I ordered a new monitor. Was on vacation last week and didn't use my desktop. Turned in on last night and the monitor worked fine.

ARGH!!! On the bright side the old monitor is 10+ years old and square. New monitor is a wide screen, but still I hate that I wasted money. Oh well, at least the new monitor was on sale. Now I need to get it hooked up.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

Our service has been crappy recently, too. I'm sure we need a new modem/router. They are pretty old. I remember the dial up days well, and it taking a whole day to download a song. Now it drives me nuts if something takes more than a minute.

Gosh, what a pain. So glad that you didn't lose your documents and things! I hope you're able to figure out the cause and that it doesn't happen again!!

Yep, had to do that last week for my son, only it was red shirt for school ambassadors. He just *knew* he had one.

I was pretty sick about it. It was pristine, not a scratch, I had taken such good care of it and was hoping to sell it to help pay for a new one since the trade in value was nothing. I just reminded DH that I have a birthday coming :)

I was pretty much sick to my stomach. Like I told Cheryl, I treated that thing like my baby. It was pristine, even after 3 years.
    But yeah, I totally get you on the smart bulbs and stuff. We have one in the living room and our porch light. Our internet was down yesterday for awhile and I couldn't tell Alexa to turn off the living room light, so it just stayed on all day, rather than walking over and turning it off lol.

rach3975 and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

Oh wow! I bet that battery back up system is for sure life-changing!

Yep, I'm with you if I can't access my apps!
    I had a riding mower for a while and switched back to a push mower, but it's AWD so it does most of the work :) That's what happened with my watch, the AWD cable got jammed with grass and I was digging it out. On days I'm really tired, I sure miss the riding mower lol

Oh geez!! I'm sure that was super frustrating.

Ooh I have so totally hit weird buttons on my monitor and thrown it out of whack, but yay for the new one!! Enjoy it!!

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My most recent first world problem was when my company asked me to pick between 2 iPads that I was to receive as a gift for working here for 25 years. :giggle (I posted in another thread about this) but I had to choose between a slightly larger iPad that had less space, or a slightly smaller iPad with more storage. Lol. I can't tell you how much time I spent reading about the differences between the two trying to decide what I was going to use the iPad for etc.

@IntenseMagic so sorry about your watch. I'd be heart broken too. I have an OLD version 3 that I baby too. My hubby's is completely scratched up and I can't imagine what he's doing to even get any scratches on it. I wear my all day, every day and I do some crazy stuff with building with power tools, cleaning, cooking, painting, etc and I've never scratched mine (Thankfully)!

@gonewiththewind we had a similar experience with our internet about a month ago. We finally had a technician come and he found where a squirrel chewed out line from the pole to our house and it had water in it which would make it sporadically spotty. He replaced the whole line and now we are flying again! :D

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We've had issues for a long time now. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we've had a tech come out since March 2020. The techs range in experience and customer service. The one that came Saturday was what I call a "weird" one. He mumbles and through his mask we could hardly understand him. He keeps insisting that we replace the cable that runs through the attic even though every.single.time. they come out, it's an issue on them . . . either at the box on the street, at the pole, or at the entrance to the house. On top of that, we had a crappy modem/router (that we pay them monthly for BTW) . . . and once that was replaced, we're all good.

It's definitely a first world problem! Once you get used to super high speeds, it's difficult to go back in time and accept dial up connections. LOL

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh... the technician sure can make a difference, can't they? Ours was amazing and knew right away when he plugged some gadget into the back of our modem that there was water in the line. I have no idea how, other than he had experience. I'm glad you finally got a new modem/router. We replaced ours before calling the tech guy in too. We quit renting ours because we had no control over when/if it could be replaced and in the long run we've saved money. I'm glad you're finally back up and running with speedy internet. It's really insane how much of our house relies on good internet. :giggle

gonewiththewind likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

I totally get that! I'd do the same. I research stuff to death before making a decision!!
    And yeah, mine was a 3 as well and totally scratch free. I had worn it every single day for 3 years...showers, pool, building things, painting, you name it *sigh*.

Karen likes this.