Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by BevG, Oct 16, 2021.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So I love reading but go in spurts. I have been working early voting with lots of waiting on voters to show up. I am currently in my third book by the same author. I would recommend his books for their interesting content, laugh-out-loud sass, and general "easy to pick up/put down" ness. Why did I pick them? They were on my daughter's shelf.

All by Fredrik Backman:
    A Man Called Ove
    My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She is Sorry
    Britt-Marie Was Here (current read and a sequel about a character in Grandmother book, so read that one first)

Also read The Lovely Bones - okay but not a favorite

I am also reading Your Brain's Not Broken by Tamara Rosier. A book on ADHD, but really a lot of good life strategies that any of us could use.

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  2. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Wow - I just love that you're reading Swedish books. I actually brought home a book by Fredrik Backman from work (work at the library) the other day. Seems it's translated to English as well - Anxious People. I have heard it is really funny. I've only read the book about Ove (Love it!), not the other 2 you mentioned.

I've read 2 other books of him: Beartown & Us Against You. REALLY good, but those are NOT comedy/funny - they are about what happens in a small town when the hockey team's big star rapes a young girl. Part 3 in the trilogy was released just last week in Sweden.

If you want to read another funny book I can recommend the Swedish book The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

bellbird and gonewiththewind like this.
  3. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Fredrik Backman is a favorite! Anxious People is so good. I agree with @tanteva about the Beartown series. It's a little darker than his other books (although they all touch on very difficult themes).

4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I've read everything Backman has written! There's a 3rd one coming out for the Beartown series- it's released but not yet in English. I can't wait!

5. tanteva

Wow. I had no idea Fredrik Backman was so popular. I didn't even know he was translated.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I really enjoyed the movie The Lovely Bones, but forgot it was a book.

Thanks for the other recommendation! I'd heard of A man called Ove but haven't read it.

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh, I loved reading A Man Called Ove and Britt-Marie Was Here, but not the Grandmother one. I'll have to pick that one up and the Beartown series - thanks for those recommendations.

The Lovely Bones was a good read for me at the time, quite a few years back. I didn't see the movie, though.

I'm currently reading every book by Tana French. Her books are the basis of the Dublin Murders on Starz. They aren't gory. I mean, any murder is, but it's not gratuitous. She's a master at plot and character development. Every one of them I've highly enjoyed and can recommend.

So far, I've read:
    The Likeness
    Faithful Place
    The Secret Place
    Broken Harbor
    In the Woods
    The Witch Elm

I'm currently on The Trespasser and then I'll have The Searcher left to finish her works up.

I also read Shuggie Bain recently, which was recommended to me by a Facebook friend. It's by Douglas Stuart.

8. tanteva

I cannot get over that you like Ove! Ove is the most Swedish character I've ever "met" in a book. LOL

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I read a lot of suspense/thrillers/mysteries, most recently enjoyed Local Woman Missing, Don't You Cry and The Other Mrs by Mary Kubica. I just finished False Witness by Karin Slaughter. By the end of November I switch over to the Xmas romances for December reading. I'm waiting for Santa Cruise by Fern Michaels, The Christmas Wedding Guest by Susan Mallery, The Secret of Snow by Viola Shipman and Eight Perfect Hours by Lia Louis.

I'm also waiting for The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber but it may not get a digital release in time for me to read it prior to Xmas (I don't read these post holiday).

BevG likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've loved all the books I've read by Fredrik Backman. I read Ove and Brit Marie, but not the Grandmother one (yet). It's on my list. I recently read Anxious People and it was definitely different... a little lighter. I also read Beartown and the 2nd one... I did not know there was a 3rd one in that series, so I will definitely read that when it comes out here!

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

bellbird and tanteva like this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i still haven't had a chance to read Ove - we read Britt-Marie here for Bookclub a few years back, she's definitely a character i won't forget. Beartown was a bit more confronting with it's issues but his writing style appeals to me and i'd probably read his shopping list!

Karen likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i have to ask after reading In the Woods, which i thought was the first book
    the main guy (i can't remember his name now, he was the detective that was the original boy that came out of the woods after his friends disappeared), is he in any of the subsequent books and do they solve the original crime from when he was a boy??? it sounded like his female partner (again i'm blanking on her name) & the third detective guy were in the next 2 books and i was not so much interested in them than the mystery from way back involving that initial detective/boy from the woods so i didn't keep going with them.

sorry didn't mean to take the thread off on a tangent - carry on!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that was funny as a movie too, i bought the book after seeing it but haven't read it but can only assume, as with most books ,that it's better than the film adaptation

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

No further answers to his friends disappearing. Sorry. :( He is not in any further books, other than a mention because his partner does show up in subsequent books. I really enjoyed the other books, even though they really don't have anything to do with the mystery that remained unsolved. They have their own twists and turns which I found highly entertaining.

bellbird likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm a fan of cozy mysteries and have been working my way through the different series by Lynn Cahoon. I've read all available books/novellas of the Tourist Trap mysteries available (next one coming in March) and everything available in the Farm-To-Fork series (next one out in January).

I prefer quick, easy reads that can easily be picked up if interrupted. I've got a few other cozy mysteries to read. I do also like biographical reads and have a bunch of them on my Kindle. But I have to be in the right mood to read them.

If any of you remember the horrible kidnapping story of 3 young girls in Cleveland in 2013, I highly recommend the book by Michelle Knight. She was the first victim that was held for 10 years. It is called "Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, A Life Reclaimed". When I picked it up to read, I couldn't put it down!

Another true crime book that actually is somewhat personal to me is David Yonke's "Sin, Shame, and Secrets: The Murder of a Nun, the conviction of a Priest, and the Cover-up in the Catholic Church". Another book I couldn't put down. I knew both the murder victim and the murderer since I worked at the hospital where the murder took place in 1980.

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Well glad I didn't read the others hoping then, thanks for letting me know!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. tanteva

Can't really tell, haven't seen the movie, but you're probably right.

bellbird likes this.
  19. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

A Man Called Ove was my favourite read last year, it made me laugh and cry. I haven't read the other books by Fredrick Backman yet but they are on my TBR list. I am in a massive reading slump lately I haven't read anything in ages.

Karen likes this.
  20. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

thanks for letting me know about Fredrik Bachman, I haven't heard of him before and I see that his books are translated here!! I'm very curious about the Ove one...gotta check Amazon for my kindle!!

Karen likes this.