Credit Tracking & Linking

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Oct 8, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Anyone have any great tips to streamline the process? I find it a bit of a chore at the end to remember what I’ve used and then do the links especially if I’ve used a lot of products. I’m trying to figure out “best practice” for me before MOC in January.

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

In Affinity I can see the file name of all the items I used for a layout in the resources dialog. I believe there is something similar in Photoshop, I'll let one of the photoshop users help you there. I only credit the kits etc in the gallery, I don't list each individual item unless the challenge specifically requests it.

In ACDSee I have an MOC tag that I put on everything I get from the store. Once a kit is retired, or a designer leaves I remove that MOC tag from the relevant products. So during MOC I only take items from my stash that have the MOC tag. That way I know they are definitely in the store. After I post in the gallery I open up the store and search for each kit/bundle/template I have used and then edit the gallery post to put the store links in.

bestcee likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

I have an MOC tag already which is a step in the right direction @Angela Toucan. I just find doing lots of links a bit of a pain, 2 or 3 I can do ok - I had 11 links on my latest layout and still managed to not link two of the products. It wasn’t til I looked at the credits later on that I saw two links were missing

4. littlekiwi

I’ve used the sticky note section on Windows 10 and that for the most part works so it’s just the linking that I probably want to streamline a bit.

5. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

My tracking method is pretty basic, but it works for me. When I'm scrapping (I use Photoshop CC), I also have an MS Word file open where I keep track of supplies and fonts. Then, when I upload my layout, I just cut-and-paste the chunk of credits text into the Description box under my LO.

I then open up another internet tab, go to the TLP store, and find the relevant products for linking. I then toggle between the store and the gallery upload box to add my links. I don't submit the LO until I have completed all credits and links.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi

On quite a few of my Watch Cheryl Scrap LIVE sessions, you'll see me adding my credits into the FILE INFO box. I add the product name as I go and then when I'm done with the layout, I pop over to the store to grab the links.

Here are some screen shots with information on how I do it:

In Photoshop CC, I use the File Info box to include my credits so they are attached with my PSD or TIF. The File Info box is also included with Photoshop Elements.

Go to FILE>FILE INFO.

SavingCredits.jpg

Once you click on FILE INFO, you'll get this pop-up. I use the DESCRIPTION AREA. Right now, you can only see the kit name, the kit link, and my fonts, but it will hold several lines of text if you have multiple supplies. This way, when I'm ready to post online, I open up the PSD, click on FILE INFO, and copy and paste as many times as I need to, and it's always there, especially if I go back to an older PSD and want to reuse a kit - it's handy to have.

SavingCredits2.jpg

Here's the layout in the gallery so you can see how the copy/paste shows up in our gallery:

[​IMG]

7. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

@gonewiththewind Every time I watch one of your videos, I think, "I really should start using this method..."

It makes more sense to attach the credits to the .PSD file, and might even save me time in the end. So why haven't I switched to this obviously superior method? Eh, I guess I get lazy about changing my routine!

gonewiththewind and littlekiwi like this.
  8. littlekiwi

Thanks @gonewiththewind I have kind of used “file info” at times too especially for CT work. I just hadn’t thought to add the links there too so that may be my solution to it all.

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I do like Cheryl with the file info and adding the links to the kits there.

However, MOC is a slightly different beast for me. I find I default to a few kits quite often, so I will start an excel sheet where I put the designer in the first cell, the kit name in the second, and the link to the kit in the third cell. That way I can copy and paste from excel pretty easily.

KimJ and littlekiwi like this.
  10. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm a spreadsheet user too, similar to what Courtney described.

The only other tip I have is that when I download/unzip any new purchase, I put a shortcut to the product store listing in the folder. It makes it really easy to find it again that way. :)

11. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Like Cheryl I use The File Info Box in Photoshop CC I find it very practical.
    What I also do when I download and unzip a new purchase! I click on my unzipped product then read the information and in comments I copy the product address!
    I am using an IMac I don't know if other computers have this capability!

Capture d’écran 2021-10-09 à 10.27.07.png

12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I also do what cheryl does- but when I'm posting, the file system will also have the info in the properties tab- then I just copy/paste from there:
    fileinfo.JPG

bestcee likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a combination of @gonewiththewind (file info) & @bestcee/@KimJ (spreadsheet).

14. littlekiwi

I have finally tagged all of my MOC supplies and have set up a spreadsheet with (and I'm embarrassed by the sheer number), nearly 1200 products that are still in the shop. Honestly seeing how much stuff that I already have and can use for MOC means I shouldn't need to head into the store and buy something for a particular challenge hopefully.

Tree City and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Good job! Now that you've got it all done just treat your stash as a store and go shopping there when you have a challenge to do.

I haven't been buying a lot lately but just shopping my stash. This month I'm not even tempted by much since so many kits are geared toward autumn and Halloween. I have so many kits for both of those already and some that have never been used. The only thing I have had to buy lately are football kits since I now have a bunch of new football photos to scrap and the kits I already had have been used many times!

littlekiwi likes this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yay! And wow! LOL

Seriously, though, having this organized will help you immensely during MOC.

littlekiwi likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Dady and gonewiththewind like this.
  18. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper Shopping my stash is the plan now.

I’m not tempted by a lot of kits either during October to December either especially if they are super seasonal.

19. littlekiwi

That was so my reaction too

gonewiththewind likes this.