Puzzles | Pad Patter 10.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Oct 13, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is National Train Your Brain Day. For training, they refer to puzzles and logic games. I know I've mentioned before that I love playing logic games! I have a few apps that I use, and I tend to do at least one puzzle daily. I like word searches and fill-in's too, but not crosswords. I don't like having to figure out which 5 letter word starting with P they thought of for happy. Because I can think of a few!
    My husband isn't a logic puzzle person. He bought Nintendo's Brain Age and he likes to play that. He likes crossword puzzles.
    My son is not into puzzles at all! They did some puzzles as an activity last night, and he basically quit because he couldn't find one piece. Apparently, I need to break out our puzzles more and train him in patience.

What about you? Are you someone who enjoys puzzles? Do you avoid them? Do you have a favorite type?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've gotten back into doing jigsaw puzzles during the winter. Started about 5 years ago. I was doing them in December to keep my mind off of the holidays and Dad's birthday since it was the first year without him. Then I realized that doing puzzles was something he enjoyed doing as well. It made me feel closer to him.

So every December I pull out the puzzles. I keep a list in my purse of the puzzles I have and I'll check Wal-Mart every so often to see if there's one I don't have. So I have a stock of ones I need to do. And, just yesterday I ordered 7 puzzles from the Buffalo Games website :)

Long before the internet I enjoyed doing the story Logic puzzles with the grids. There were issues put out monthly. I still have some that I haven't completed.

3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I do just about any puzzle I can find - jigsaw, crosswords, word search, sudoku. The USA Today has a great puzzle page. I do them because my dad loved puzzles. He could them in ink. But then he got a brain tumor and couldn't put the pen to the paper. I was sad. Every puzzle I do, I do in his memory.

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Sudoku here as well, really easy though - otherwise I give up.
    Lately it's Township and Spider Solitaire that consumes my free time, not puzzles but games on my phone.
    Makes waiting a breeze.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I like word fill-in puzzles but not cross-words. Word finds are sort of meh. I like Banana-Grams but not Scrabble. I like Sudoku - I even played it via a phone app for quite awhile. We often do jigsaw puzzles while on vacation. I used to play Spider solitaire a lot and the Mahjong tiles. Really not doing puzzles at all any more.

6. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I've been hunting for a puzzle for a while! I'm just picky about the designs (and price). I've seen those roll-up mats for pausing puzzles and want one of those.

7. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I love puzzles and logic games! Usually I do puzzles and then box them up. But I did a beautiful 2000 pc Disney one that I stuck on puzzle paper and hung up. Layout below. Also funny story, my sister gave me a puzzle for a gift once and the picture on box and actual puzzle was different. Challenge accepted. Did the puzzle with no reference. It was hard, but I did it in about a week!

[​IMG]

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Many, many, many years ago I got a carry case for jigsaw puzzles. I bought 2, one for mom and dad (Christmas present) and one for me. I still have one of them, don't know what happened to the other.

It is about 30x25x1.5 in size. Has a handle for carrying it and flaps that close using velcro. Inside it has 2 boxes that hold the pieces and the bottom of it has pre-printed sizing for puzzles. When you are doing a puzzle and need to put it aside for awhile, the boxes just sit on top of it and have a foam padding to keep everything in place. Mom and Dad used that when they went to Florida in the winter since their trailer didn't have much space. Dad would put it on a small table and work on the puzzles then fold it up when not working on it. It is also great because of the edge so pieces won't go anywhere!

LivyBug likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

OK, so it's no secret I'm not a fan of most games. My cousin cheating in Candyland has forever scarred me. LOL I will play Farkle but otherwise, I'm not interested. I'd rather read a book or cross stitch if I need to keep my mind or hands busy.

I don't know if I've ever shared my aversion to puzzles. One of my earliest childhood memories is being given a puzzle as a gift and crying and pitching a fit because I didn't want it. There was a kerfuffle about me saying thank you and that's about all I remember. So I've never really enjoyed putting puzzles together.

I like word searches and some crossword puzzles. I have done Sudoku before as well.

I read every day, several times a day. It's a habit I've had since I was in elementary school/5th grade. I've read different articles that reading is a great stimulator for reducing dementia (along with board games and puzzles). I figure I'm doing myself a good service with all the reading I do. :)

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I love all kinds of word puzzles.

About other puzzles I'm quite neutral.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love word searches. My youngest DD was in and out of the hospital for about 2 years when she was younger and that's one of the things that kept us sane. We'd do word searches constantly and see who could finish a page the fastest.

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I hate logic games, hate them with a passion. LOL!!!!

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Big fat no to word searches and jigsaw puzzles! They drive me crazy and make me twitchy just to think about lol. Crosswords and logic puzzles are not terrible, but I more a fan of brain games and and things like that. I used to play the Brain Age game all the time.

14. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I like puzzles and games! Love, love, love having game nights with friends & family. If I do jigsaw puzzles I have to really like the picture or else I have no desire to do it! lol

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We just finished a 2000 piece puzzle! Picture on the bottom left.

I like having a puzzle out where we can work on it when we have a few minutes. It allows time to just not really do anything and talk and hang out. We've had lots of funny and meaningful conversations around puzzles.

[​IMG]

16. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Love jigsaws, but haven't dared to try it lately because of the fur balls that rule this house. I'm sure they would love to play with the pieces.

We do a lot of cross words, really like that too. We always have a couple of cross words going at work in the coffee/lunch break room. Really fun to solve it together, since everyone know different things, and associate in different ways.

And I'm obessessed with games of the match-3-kind. Right now I'm playing Knittens, which must have been made with me in mind. You watch skeins of yarn, then uses the yarn to knit clothes for your cats.

17. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I love all kinds of puzzles since I was a little girl. I love jigsaw puzzles too, but the biggest I completed was 1000 pieces, it's on my living room wall. Actually, 2 of them are on my wall!!

18. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

I love jigsaw puzzles. My mom and I used to build them together when I was young. 1000 piece puzzles are my favorite. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  19. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart