Handbag | Pad Patter 10.10

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 10, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

According to my weird holiday calendar, today is Handbag Day!
    [​IMG]
    I have given up carrying a handbag/purse altogether since school started this year. I bought a backpack to carry to work and when I go in the store I just pull out my wallet with my keys attached and carry that. I go back and forth between wanting to carry a small bag because I hate digging through a bit one full of junk, to wanting to carry a big one so that I can have junk :giggle Now I have the junk, but I don't have to carry it around all the time.

Do you carry a handbag/purse? Any specific kind you like best? Do you have designer bags?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my - a purse! I wish I didn't ever have to carry one, again. Unfortunately, I don't have pockets to carry my phone, etc. necessities in, so ugh I still have to carry one. My purse is very old - it's a Fossill and I've had it for years. I paid "an arm and a leg" for it but it's been worth it's weight in gold. I HAVE to have a drop down compartment that has slots for my credit cards, license, etc. in it and it HAS to be cross-body! I actually hate purses and can't stand to "dig". I'm SO particular that I'm actually looking for somebody to make me a purse according to my specifications. I see all of these cool purses - I love the purses that have animal hides on them - but they never have my "must-haves". I cannot carry an additional wallet to have to dig out of my purse.

IntenseMagic and weaselwatchr like this.
  3. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I went through this very expensive phase when all I bought was Coach bags. Like a lot of Coach bags. So many in fact that we were invited to special sales events. I even bought the keychains to hang from the bags to decorate them. And then I just stopped. And now I don't even carry a purse. I literally have a wallet and my keys. I hate going to a locker to get my stuff from work so I just keep my wallet in my lab coat or the narcotics safe. Nor do I carry a purse when I just go out. My hubby's pockets are my purse now.

I just hold my phone.

IntenseMagic and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I love purses - and yes, designer purses. It started when my sister gave me a Dooney & Burke and has gone onto Coach. But my relationship with purses is always evolving.
    This is where I am now:
    * I only want a crossbody bag - it has to be fit for traveling
    * It can't be too small - I like my phone, extra charger, credit card holder, coin purse, inhaler, a pin, my keys ... etc. to fit.
    * It can't be too big - if the purse gets too heavy, I get grumpy. The bigger the purse, the more stuff I put in it (I can't stop myself) and then the heavier it gets
    * When my current Coach crossbody which I did get on sale for $89 needs replacement, I don't see myself getting another designer purse. I just don't have to have that anymore. And there are so many cute non-designer crossbodies out there.
    * I don't change purses to match outfits or seasons - I use the same purse until it dies

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love handbags! I have Coach, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Brighton, and a handful of other bags. The ones I have I've been gifted, or I've purchased second hand.

Right now, I'm using a handbag that belonged to my sister-in-law. It's a Michael Kors, and I love the color.

PXL_20211011_050843420.jpg

I have a felt purse organizer inside. I can just pull the organizer out and pop it in another handbag when I'm ready to change out.

PXL_20211011_050902219.jpg

Back in 2016, I had a purse organizer that was nylon, but because it was so thin, it would collapse and it was difficult to find what I needed. I love the stability of the felt organizer because I can see and even reach in and know where something is. Here's the nylon insert:

[​IMG]

6. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I am currently carrying a light pink Coach purse. It's a little small and I'm definitely eager for the leather to relax... it's so stiff! I was gifted this bag and a Coach wallet for Mother's day this year. The one before it was a Nameless brand, something I had picked up at goodwill ages before that... it was "pleather" and was flaking off. My husband was tired of the black pleather flakes that followed me around :giggle

If I had chosen my bag, I would have preferred one maybe like one size bigger, but I have managed to keep this one fairly cleaned out. It literally only fits the few things I have to carry, so everything stays in its exact place....

One thing is certain - I am glad my babies are bigger and I don't have to carry diaper bags around anymore. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have a purse...and carry it around. It keeps ALL the stuff, it's kinda on the big rectangular side.

Many times, I'll shove my phone, money, debit card, CC, and license into my pocket and just go. I don't need hand cream everywhere.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have two purses right now. I have one that I call my suitcase. It's big, but pretty empty. I like have a big one for when I'm shopping I can just throw small purchases in there and there's room for a book or a kindle if I need that too. Then I have a cute cross body purse that I use when I am out bike riding or just want the smaller one for hand free shopping too. I can grab my wallet and phone easily out of my giant purse and throw those in my smaller purse and go. :agree

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I go for cheap... Wal-Mart.

I like long straps so I can put it on the shoulder. I also like bags with lots of pockets on the outside. I did buy one a few months ago that was working until I wanted to go someplace and take my Kindle to read while I waited. It was a tight fit to get it in and out and I couldn't close the purse with it in there since it had to be upright. Went back to the purse I was carrying before. Kindle or tablet fits in very nicely and no one knows it is in there since it doesn't stick out. Amazing what just an inch more of zipper will do for you.

I also don't change purses very often.

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Small black leather over the shoulder hanger.
    I hate digging through a big bag and this one goes with everything, I have used the same one for at least 5 years now.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have a plain black shoulder bag one that I use 98% of the time....not too big but big enough to hold what I need. If I'm just going out for a bit, I have a black cross body bag with flowers on it, no zips or snaps or anything but big enough to pop my wallet, phone, keys and folding walking stick in (I have a walking stick that I sometimes use for when fatigue has affected my balance, just trying to be independent but stay upright)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Right now I'm using a new crossbody purse from Aldo that I got on clearance at TJ Maxx. I like that it's small but I had to downsize. This one is very similar:
    [​IMG]

Before I was using a big Michael Kors bag that was bright blue:
    [​IMG]

I used to collect a lot of purses, but now I maybe have 4? that I switch between (but not very often). I also have a few small crossbodies and backpacks for traveling.

I'm not a snob for designer, but I do like Betsey Johnson anything. I have a beautiful maroon purse of hers, but it's just HUGE and usually too big for what I carry. I had a Vera Bradley phase in middle/high school.

IntenseMagic and gonewiththewind like this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I would love to not have to carry anything! I carry as little as possible. My favorite bag-like thing, which I've been using for several years now, is my Spibelt. https://spibelt.com
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but I love purses. I search for way too long to find the perfect bag on sale for a great price, then it's all I use for a few years. I like my bags to be light and durable, so I've been using nylon bags for a long time. After years and years of only black bags, I've been craving color lately.

Pre-pandemic I carried a bigger bag. Not huge, but bigger than these. Now that I've pared down, I don't think I'll ever go back--but I also can't see going smaller any time soon. I carry my big phone, keys, a small wallet, a power pack for my phone, my son's epi-pens, a reusable shopping bag, sanitizer, and and a few first aid supplies. The black bag is a Baggallini Town Bagg. Pre-pandemic it was my small bag, and now it's my big bag. During the pandemic I used the purple one, a Baggallini Pocket Crossbody. I loved it, but it's too small for everyday now that I have to carry Jason's epi-pens again. I got the plum colored Kipling Callie this summer, and it will probably be my everyday bag for at least the next year. It's just the right size of medium for me, and the color is even prettier in real life. In a year Jason will leave for college and I won't be carrying epi-pens, so we'll see if I stick with the Callie or go back to the Pocket Crossbody. It will be one of the two, since I normally use purses for a lot longer than this before switching.

[​IMG]

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

This is so funny from a language point of view. In Malta (bilingual population because of being under the British for years ) and I think in England too, (but not sure now ) ; A handbag is what a woman have all her bits in, can be carried by 1 strap across , or on the shoulder ( but then it might be called a shoulder bag) or by a handle .
    A purse is where a woman carries her money ( small no handles of any kind, compartments for small change and notes and cards ( but not for anything else ) And only Men use wallets for keeping their money and cards. ....
    You have to love diversity
    To answer, I use a soft backpack for everyday use, and a handbag for going out ( like to dinner ).

bestcee, rach3975 and IntenseMagic like this.
  16. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I wear jeans or jean shorts and just stick my wallet, keys, and phone in my pockets. I do have a simple mid-size cheap gray shoulder bag that I use if I have to wear something without pockets or on the rare occasions that I need to carry more stuff, but it only gets used once or twice a year at most.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

OH! @michelepixels -- I need that this week!!! We are going to the State Fair, and they have a "clear bag" policy- first time ever for me. Only allowed "bags" are clear or ones like this (Michele's) I don't like it, but I don't like being restricted.:cornfused So there's that. :eyeroll Though they don't state it, I am guessing it is to null weapons?? Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what to do as my phone is a large one and never fits/stays in a pocket. Can't go on rides with the littles and let the phone be at risk.
    I have a lot of purses. I don't wear much jewelry nor care a lot about shoes, so I guess it is purses. I have a red one, a blue one, a striped "designer name" bag, a straw bag, a fav. black one with lots of pockets, no digging - thus my favorite, two quilted little ones (Vera), a nice leather one...I'll stop there.:hehe:hehe:hehe
    Never cared a hoot about designer anything- only once owned designer clothing- a pair of Calvin Kleins that never fit right! :groanJust don't care about someone else's name on me or mine. LOL! Hubster bought the striped one and sister bought the Bradley one- there's a factory near her house.
    The past year I've begun to design and construct my own bags. Maybe my name will go on them, :lol:lol:lol I do get that some are good quality craftsmanship. but not all and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. To each her own! :beat

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    IntenseMagic and michelepixels like this.
  18. IntenseMagic

I love a cross-body, too and that sounds awesome with the built in slots for cards! I hate digging, too!!

I have a few Coach bags. I went through a phase where I bought one at the outlet every time we went on vacation. It was my splurge for myself. I haven't bought one for a few years now and mostly just carry a wallet with keys attached.

I prefer a crossbody as well if I carry anything at all because heavy and grumpy, too! I also use them until they die for the most part lol

I have a Coach purse that's almost that exact same color. So pretty! And I adore that organizer. Maybe I'd carry a purse more often if I had one lol

When I have pockets, I do the same...shove it all in and go! lol

My backpack is becoming my suitcase lol I carry it all the time and then when I'm just running in somewhere I grab the wallet and phone out. I like being able to have the bigger bag around, but not necessarily carry it all the time.

gonewiththewind, Karen, jk703 and 2 others like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

I have a small Coach purse as well. It's orange and pink :) I love it but get a little annoyed with the size sometimes, but like you said, the best part is being limited in what I carry and it stays put.

Pockets on the outside are a must for me, too!

Oooh that first one is so pretty!! I love those colors!
    Didn't all middle/high schoolers have a Vera Bradley at some point? lol

I love that belt bag. I have one of those that's a bit bigger and I use it for the amusement park or going walking around fairs or festivals or flea markets.

michelepixels and LivyBug like this.
  20. IntenseMagic

I love those bags!! Those colors are fantastic!!

I love all the differences in language. When I was reading about this day, it said that originally "handbag" was used to refer to something that men carried.

rach3975 likes this.