Staph in dogs?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kat, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Has anyone ever dealt with this?

Our dog had ACL repair surgery in July. He should be completely healed. He was doing pretty well but he started licking it and Scott (my husband) noticed a lump. He mentioned the same lump to the vet over a month ago. He wasn't concerned. But the next visit (a little over a week ago) he said there was an infection, that likely Dom reacted to the suture. He told us the surgery would be quick and easy, a small incision to remove it.

THEN, the surgery came, they found an infection with cloudy fluid. They added a 300 dollar culture to see what it was. They did a huge 4 inch incision and shaved his whole leg again like day 1. I was furious! All I can do is trust though.

So today they call and say it's a staph infection. They blew it off as no big deal. I was already furious they did the whole huge incision and shaved his leg, and we were told THREE MORE MONTHS of full recovery. I about fell over!

I literally worked in a vet's office for 12 years, and rescued 200+ dogs, having 5 of my own, one that lived to be 17 and a half. I have never once heard of this. When I read about it, they talk about a variety of things but one of them is unclean medical instruments.

I am just trying to figure it out. Was hoping someone else had any knowledge on this.

2. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have no knowledge about this to help you out but you have my empathy. It's so frustrating when you put your trust in someone to care for your furbaby and they let you down.

Kat likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't had experience with a pet, but when Daniel was little, he had a surgery to remove a calcified hematoma. It got infected, and it was staph. He had to have another surgery, which left an open wound that I had to unpack and pack three times a day. What I was told at that time is that staph is literally everywhere. It lives on surfaces and on the ground. You might also carry it on your skin and in your nose, and never have any problem with it. It took a while for Daniel's staph infection to clear.

So sorry that your furbaby is sick. :( Follow instructions for wound care. Staph can be on bed sheets or towels, so make sure those are adequately sterilized. Good luck and sending ((HUGS))

4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

No experience here, but sending you hugs. It's hard when our furbabies undergo surgery for any reason.

Kat likes this.
  5. Kat

This was my thought too...but the doctor says it's different in dogs... I was freaking out... I thought I needed to wash everything, couldn't touch him, etc... but hence the confusion. I don't understand it at all. The vet told my husband there is a chance it was introduced during the surgery. I just was mad beyond anything normal.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

Yes! I was freaking out as well. And I **did** clean everything because I just felt I had to. I just wanted to encourage you that normal cleaning is adequate in most of the house, but areas where your furbaby is all the time would need extra cleaning - like soft surfaces (blankets, towels, etc.). I'm keeping you in my thoughts and said a prayer for y'all. I know it's hard when the little one that you love so much is sick. :(

Kat likes this.
  7. Kat

I'm lacking on cleaning in general lately but its a COVID thing really, but it shouldn't be. Since Dom has been injured (JULY!!), we have blocked off every seat in the downstairs, everything has amazon boxes or laundry baskets so he can't jump up. The stairs are blocked. There is a full size memory foam mattress topper (two actually) in my living room floor even. I made my husband wash the sheets and took advantage of that to vacuum. I've done what I can in the kitchen. I've gone through slowly organizing and keeping the important spaces as clean as possible. It is exhausting, even just with two of us here though. I did sit in the bathroom floor one day. Noticed the baseboards and door were just yuck. You don't see it til you get close. So I sat there and just scrubbed it, lol.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

Girl, I feel you on this. My cleaning habits have changed dramatically with my health issues. Things I used to freak out about, well, they just don't seem that important anymore. Not that we live in a hovel, but it's not like an operating room in here anymore. LOL Sending you ((HUGS)). I get all of this so much!

Kat likes this.