Getting Around Fast Five | Pad Patter 10.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc)
    Drive myself
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?)
    Right now it's a big ol' 15 passenger (rental) while our regular 12 passenger gets fixed. We were in an accident a few weeks ago. A guy ran a red light and ran right into us. Thankfully we were all okay and our van wasn't totaled!
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Probably flying. I hated it the first few times but it grew on me. My first flight on a airliner is a whole story. Let's just say it involved a fire alarm going off for 2 hours right in my ear because someone tried to smoke on the plane.

Also, my dad had a Cessna (a little 4 seater plane) that we flew around in a lot. I hated it.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Gas and gallons.
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? We live in a rural area. We do have a public transit bus....and I've had people ask me if my van was Macon Transit! :lol

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? The day after I turned 16

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc)

Drive myself

2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?)

Kia Soul in Alien Green II

2016-05-13-11.48.41.jpg

3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!)

I prefer to drive. It does take longer, but flying makes me super anxious. I'm not sure if it's because I am not in control or because it's crowded and hard to navigate if you have to use the restroom.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?)

Gas/gallons

5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use?

Our town doesn't have public transit. The next town over does, but I've never used it.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it?

I got my license when I was 16.

BevG likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@Mrsdudds I'm in a similar situation re: driving. I have sight in one eye, which according to authorities is enough to drive but for me the risk is too great especially in a larger city where I live. If I had wanted to learn I would have started at 15-16 not 34!

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

1. How do you get around the most? I drive myself in my car. After 15 years of using the same van, I got a new one last year.
    2. What does the vehicle look like? It is sage green to me, but grey to others. See below
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? We drive most places, but I enjoy flying. I would teleport (like in Star Trek) if it was a thing.
    4. Is it gas or petrol and is it litres or gallons -- gas in gallons and self-generated electric because mine is a hybrid
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? Not really that easy to use. Not a very safe option either.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? I got mine at 16. Back then there was no minimum driving requirement - only an age requirement. So since I was already 16 when I did the training, I got it as soon as I finished it. It was a summer 6 or 8 week course.

My one-year old baby:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

1. How do you get around the most? I drive myself (or my husband drives me).
    2. What does the vehicle look like? 2021 Volvo XC90 T6 (black on black) - full size SUV
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? For vacations, by air. For local travel, car.
    4. Is it gas or petrol? Gas/gallons
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? It's easy to use. My boys get free cards through school since they have to use it to get to/from school. Most trips are $2.50/each way (in city limits only), but if you don't live walking distance to a stop you may also be paying for parking.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? 16, on my first try

6. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

When I was researching cars a couple months ago, I came so very close to buying a red model Y, but the 7 seater was just too small to fit full-size humans in the third row and have room for any cargo. I imagine it's pretty roomy as a 5 seater. Literally every inch is planned, so I totally understand why! I test drove it twice. It was super duper fun to drive and I'll definitely consider a Tesla for my next vehicle. Surprisingly, my Volvo has almost identical "zip" and features (auto-pilot, etc). I intentionally got the T6 version of my Volvo after driving the Tesla :)

amien1 likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I had volvo's before we had kiddos- LOVED them! Yes- the 5 seater model Y is great for our family- and having the entire back cargo area for the dogs- but I can totally see how that tiny 3rd row wouldn't work for growing boys! ;)

SeattleSheri likes this.
  8. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) Drive myself

2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) Mine is a dark red minivan that we bought just before the pandemic, so it's very low mileage for its age. DH's is a 2003 Honda Civic. It's really time to replace his now, but with everything going on with car prices and stock now we're hoping to be able to wait it out. He's still working from home, so thankfully that car doesn't get much of a workout.

3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Car for the convenience and speed, but I wish our cars were hybrids and had less of an environmental impact.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Gas, gallons

5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? To get into and around the city (Washington, DC), yes. But in my part of the county it would be very hard to get around without a car. There are buses, but I don't think they go many places or come frequently. They seem to be more a way to get to and from the train stations.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? When I was 16.

Glad it isn't just mine! My son was 16 and slowly learning to drive before the pandemic hit, but he didn't seem to be in any rush to have his license. He waited 6 months after becoming eligible to even get his permit. Then the pandemic hit, his lessons with an instructor were put on hold, and he felt even less motivated to practice with me because there was no where to go. He just turned 18 and all of a sudden has decided he wants it ASAP.

bestcee and michelepixels like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I can relate.

My first flight I was 12. And I looked out the window and saw something weird on the wing. We turned around and landed quickly - turned out the wing was on fire! So, instead of a nice easy flight, I had a few hour delay, went to a larger airport that I got to run to one of those carts and ride, they had to hold an airplane for me (Luckily, I was flying as an unaccompanied minor), and I still landed 5 hours after I was supposed to. The poor people coming to pick me up had to cross the Canadian border, so it was quite the adventure. Luckily, the new route meant my parents could call and let them know when my 2nd flight left so they could leave home then. No cell phones at this time unless you paid like $50/minute!

10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Wow! That would probably traumatize me from flying for a long time.

bestcee likes this.