Getting Around Fast Five | Pad Patter 10.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Oct 7, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Since Sharon moved in with us, I've become more of a driver. Not only do I run my kid places, I also run her around. We have a bus system, but her hip makes it hard to use. Then, I was talking to my mom about my almost 21 year old brother who still doesn't drive. He's got an electric scooter he's using instead. So, it made me think about how we get around. I know some places have much better public transit than here, and some have more walkable cities.

So, let's chat about getting around.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc)
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?)
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!)
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?)
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use?

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) drive
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) At the current time I have a 2016 Chevy Spark, Kalamata (purple) in color. But it will be leaving me sometime in the next 6 months since I have a 2022 Seaglass Blue Metallic Chevy Equinox on order
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) I honestly don't mind driving and these days that is probably a good thing. I absolutely loved the trip I took in 2013 to North Carolina and Florida. 2 weeks and I drove it by myself.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) gas, gallons.
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? LOL, no public transit here. Town itself is only 6.44 square miles in size with a population of around 9700 people. I do see a lot of golf carts being driven around town. And, bicycles.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? Age 16 which was the required age at the time. Also had to be 16 to get the permit, required time and classes had to be met before taking the test. So I don't know of anyone that actually got their license on the 16th birthday. One friend got hers 3 weeks later. She had a summer birthday, so had completed the bookwork during the school year and started the required driving on her birthday. At that time, Driver's Ed was an actual class you took in high school.

3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) Drive
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) 2016 Honda Civic. It's bright blue, but I don't recall the actual color name.
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Depends on how far I'm going. I have driven from Northern VA to Orlando a few times, but prefer to fly. That said, I am hoping to drive old Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica when I retire in two years.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) gas and gallons
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? I only use public transportation when I'm going into DC ... the metro train is easy to use, but can be a bit pricey if you're going during the day since I have to pay to park, then pay to ride.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? Sixteen and a half. I didn't get it at 16 b/c I had issues driving our "three on the tree" manual transmission 9-passenger tank of a station wagon (1969 Chevy). My father eventually agreed to let me test in my aunt's automatic sedan, however I'd never driven it before and having to parallel park it was interesting. Once I had my license I learned to drive the wagon on my own with my sisters as co-pilots. :)

I took classroom driver's ed my freshman year of high school (at 14 y.o.), then behind the wheel during the summer of 1969 (I turned 16 that fall). Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" takes me right back to driving in circles behind the Cooper Intermediate School.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Drive.

2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?)
    I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Black. His name is Lucifer, lol! I know, weird... just a name thogh.
    I liked Betty too... but it felt like a boy car. I've named all my cars.

I guess car? I don't mind train, plane, boat or anything really. I would love to try an RV vacation.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?)
    Gas/Gallons... and I'm in NJ. We don't pump our own gas, lol!

Very easy, timing is similar, cost effective is debatable. I drive to work. It's faster. Many in NJ commute. I'm about a block away from the train, and can get most anywhere at that point. NJ, NY, area makes it pretty easy.

At 17 years. Shayne, my 16 year old , is getting his in December. Eeeek.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That's been on my bucket list as well. Pick me up on your way to Chicago and I'll go with you ;)

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Mostly I drive or my hubs will drive. Everything here is spread out so walking is out of the question.

I've still got the little red Optra that I bought about 8 yrs ago. It's on its last legs and next year (or sooner) I'll need to get a new car. I love my little car but it's falling apart now.

I love cruises. Looking off the ship deck into the ocean, participating in events going on, the food is plentiful and off ship excursions are always fun. We haven't been for about 4 yrs so next yr I hope we get to book something.

Our gas is litres. We talked about getting an electric car but there just aren't enough charging stations to make it a good idea.

I almost never use it (only a few times a year if I have to go downtown for an event where parking will be crazy). I would never wait outside for a bus, that would drive me nuts, (although I did it many yrs ago before I got my first car) but I don't mind taking the Skytrain downtown, it is faster than I can drive the route and there are a couple of station drop-offs in the downtown area.

7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Combination of walking, bus, train and sometimes taxi
    Single decker bus most of the time but if I’m going closer into the central city I might get on a double decker.
    Train is either a 3 or 6 car carriage one depending on time/day.
    [​IMG]
    Taxi is what ever is available but I try and avoid vans if I can - too inconsistent as to whether I can get into them
    I don’t really have a fave, depends on where I’m going as to what I use. Longer distances out of where I live I either fly or if it’s under 3-5 hours I’ll catch a long distance bus. I did an overnight 12 hour bus ride twice and while I saved money, I vowed never again!
    Petrol/Diesel and in $ per litre
    Easy…reasonably so compared to 10 or so years ago.
    Reliable…not really. The bus companies are short drivers so will just randomly cancel trips. Trains I’d say are better but not by much as the railway tracks have maintenance work on them. Taxis, no one uses them at night so there might only be 1 maybe 2 drivers if I’m lucky.
    Cost effective…compared to some other cities in New Zealand it’s pretty good. Pre Covid, we had cash fares but now it’s just a smart card. From where I live in an outer suburb, a 50 min train trip plus connecting bus would cost $14 one way or $6.80 on the smart card. I get 40 or 50% off (can’t remember specifically) the smart card fare for public transport and 50% off taxi fares up to a certain $ amount as I have a special “Total Mobility Card” for those who meet criteria as disabled.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) DRIVE
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) A WHITE, 2020 GMC TERRAIN DENALI.
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) I HATE TO FLY, SO DRIVING WHENEVER POSSIBLE
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) GAS/GALLONS
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? WE DON'T HAVE ONE - WE LIVE "IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" AND I DON'T EVEN THINK WE HAVE UBER.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? WHEN I WAS 16

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) I wish I could say I walk, but it has to be driving (myself).

2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) I drive a minivan that is the same age as my middle child, 18 years old. It has seen a lot of spilled food and has cracks in the vinyl dashboard and a few dents and a little rust. But it's comfy and reliable!

3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) :think I have mulled over this while I answered all the remaining questions, because I don't think I've ever thought of a favorite method of travel before. I really like to walk, so I'd say that, but of course, that's not ideal for long distances. I think if I had every choice, I'd like to take trains. Let someone (or something) else do the driving! Let me relax, read, enjoy the view, etc. I hope automated vehicles become well established in my lifetime. I would love to summon a car via an app and have it drive me wherever I need to go. I'd love to not need to own a vehicle, to never have to park.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) gas, gallons

5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? Fredericksburg, Virginia has a tiny bus they call the Fred that picks up people in a very few places and delivers them to a very few places. I've never used it. I wish we did have good public transit.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? I forget exactly, but I was definitely past my 16th birthday but I'm pretty sure I wasn't quite 17 yet. A lot of kids nowadays -- at least in my local homeschooling community -- including my own kids, have delayed getting their licenses. Not sure why for others but for mine they didn't have any need at first. Then the pandemic hit, interrupting the progress my second was making toward getting it. They are 20.5 and 6-weeks-from-18 now and might get their licenses in the coming year around the same time!

10. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) Drive myself.
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) Silver sedan
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Driving, flying makes me a bit nervous! I like listening to music on drives.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Gas by the gallon
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? Basically doesn't exist where we live

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? I was 16 going on 17

11. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) I drive myself.
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) I have a silver car.
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Driving
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Gas & Gallons
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? I haven't checked, no clue lololol

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? When I was 16!

12. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

1. How do you get around the most? I drive my car
    2. What does the vehicle look like? I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has over 200k miles on it and it is rusty and I love her. She and I survived a crash on the freeway where I wound up getting spun around hit the median and faced traffic head on. I closed my eyes waiting for oncoming traffic to hit me but it didn’t happen. Her name is Wheezle. And yes it says so on her plates lol
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? To travel a long distance by plane but haven’t been on one since prepandemic. I like being at my destination as soon as possible.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) gas
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? I have never used public transit in Michigan but I have other places-Italy, England, France Chicago and it was easy to use there. Although I find bus schedules sometimes confusing.
    Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? I got my license junior year of high school. I was afraid to take my drivers test and dad showed up to school in the snow and drove me to the DMV. I was not happy with him. And lucky for me, I had a driver instructor trainee in my vehicle so I had two testers that day in my vehicle and they tested me on everything! Sigh.

13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. How do you get around the most? Drive myself or with Hubby
    2. What does the vehicle look like? White corolla verso (MPV 7 seater from when I was Mom's taxi)
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? Cruising, no cooking or cleaning required
    4. Is it gas or petrol ? Petrol unleaded
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? Not really, non existent.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? 22 November 1984

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Drive- mostly myself, or hubby drives when we are all going somewhere together

My car is so fun. It's RED & beautiful! It's a crossover SUV- so has 4 doors & a big hatchback (Tesla model Y.) There's TONS of storage because there is no engine- it also has a "frunk" (storage compartment under the front hood) and an additional trunk under the back storage area since there is no gas tank filling up that space like a traditional car.

My car for sure. It's super fun to drive- really fast & hard to stay the speed limit. It never seems like I'm driving as fast as I am for some reason. Maybe because there is no engine & it's so quiet? Road trips are tons of fun too- we've taken both our tesla's (hubby has a blue model3) all over the western USA & BC, Canada

None of the above- 100% electric motors- NO gas, petrol- just electrons! ;) Surprisingly, our power here is pretty inexpensive & our gas prices are crazy high- so even with paying for the extra electricity to charge our cars- we come out WAY ahead. Also- cost of maintenance is way lower since there is no oil to change, no yearly maintenance to do- just fill up window washer fluid & rotate tires is all!

I think so, but our area is so spread out that it's not worth the time it takes to get anywhere on public transit if you don't have to. Our downtown area is pretty walkable but once you get out to the suburbs where we live, there's not much you can do without a car (or maybe scooter!) ;)

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? When I turned 16- a million years ago! ;) ;)

15. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I catch the bus back and for work, if going to do food shopping the husband drives. I don't drive have never been interested in learning either.

2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double-decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?)
    I catch the local bus if I need to get about. Nice gold and blue colour, with fancy leather seats, that have light and charging port for your phone.

I love to travel by train, I love to sit and watch the world go by.

4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it liters or gallons (or something else?)
    I have no idea what the bus takes lol, but our family gar is diesel.

5. Is your public transit easy/cost-effective to use?
    The buses aren't too bad cost-wise, I only work three days per week so costs me about £20 per week.

16. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

1. How do you get around the most?
    Drive

2. What does the vehicle look like?
    I used to primarily drive our big blue mini-van, and I hated driving our small black sedan. I always felt like I couldn't see in the smaller car, and I felt like I was going to get squished! LOL Various circumstances have meant that I have switched to mainly driving the sedan, and now it feels super awkward and unwieldy when I drive the van. :lol

3. What's your favorite way to travel?
    I don't mind driving most of the time. For a trip that would be more than a day or so drive, I prefer to fly, assuming it's manageable to get around once I reach my destination.

4. Is it gas or petrol and is it litres or gallons?
    gallon of gas

The metroplex does have a bus system and a light rail, but I've never used them myself. They don't go out to the suburbs where I am and parking at the train station is not easy for one-off kinds of things. When Kaylee was in high school, the theatre teacher would take the kids on the train down into the city to see plays, so I would drop Kaylee off at the station for those.

I got it shortly after I turned 16. The only critique I got when taking my test was that I looked around too much. It stuck with me and to this day I am laser-focused on traffic. I can drive by a building 600 times and not know it's there. :lol

I think it was a lot easier to get your license back then, at least in the smaller town I grew up in. I had the class at school, including behind the wheel, and it was much less required practice, just a few sessions. I did not have to drive on the highway at all and didn't have to parallel park for my test. It's much scarier to drive around here with all of the heavy traffic. Matthew didn't get his license until he was 18½, right before he started college, and Kaylee is now 19½ and still very slowly, very nervously working up to getting theirs.

17. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I had to force my granddaughter to get her learner's permit at 15, 8 months, but I wanted her to complete the 45 parent/teen hours before she turned 18. She got her license shortly after her 18th birthday. Her younger brother is 16 and he absolutely refuses to take his learner's permit test.

18. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) I drive myself or my husband will drive me.
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) I have a 2020 Ocean Blue Subaru Forester. Hubby has an 2011 Ford Explorer, Gold.
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) Flying or a train. Flying gets you there fast. A train is very leisurely and very scenic, plus no TSA checks.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Gas in gallons.
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? I've never needed to use public transit, although we did love in when we were in London and DC.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? I was 17, so 1976. Passed on my first try.

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I drive (though I don't drive every day now that I WFH & we live in a school district with buses!) to get around. My city does have a bus system but we live too far out from its routes. We do also have a local airport & a train that runs from here to Chicago.

She's red & her name is Ava. She's got 196,000 miles on her so she'll be going to the Great Big Junkyard in the Sky by the end of the year.

My favorite way to travel is when someone else drives me.

Yup, American here with its silly way of naming & measuring things.

I've never taken one of our local buses so I don't know but I assume so?

I got it right after I was 16. I'm a good driver but it makes me anxious if I'm driving someplace unfamiliar and/or on an interstate/highway/toll road so I tend to avoid driving in those places if there's another adult in the car with me.

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. How do you get around the most? (drive yourself, driver, bus, walk, etc) I drive...a lot!
    2. What does the vehicle look like? (like is the bus a double decker? or the train a high speed one? Is the car blue?) I have a white Dodge Charger
    3. What's your favorite way to travel? (why is always welcome!) I don't mind driving, but I would fly everywhere if I could lol.
    4. Is it gas or petrol (or something else?) and is it litres or gallons (or something else?) Lots of gallons of gas :)
    5. Is your public transit easy/cost effective to use? We have public transit, but I've never used it so I don't know that much about it. I don't really live close to anywhere they stop.

Bonus Question: If you have a driver's license, when did you first get it? Just after I was 16, when I finished driver's ed. I couldn't wait! My kids, on the other hand, are weirdos. The oldest was 17, the middle was 18 (and only because I pretty much made her. She said she didn't need it, she had people to drive her lol), and the youngest is 16 1/2 with not so much as a learner's permit yet.