Dec 2021 Book Club - The House in the Cerulean Sea

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Voting is complete and we have another batch of great books to read together. Bring on Fall/Winter reading baby! We have four top vote getters so we have new books from September through December 2021. :clappy

The book for December is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler.

This is a spoiler...
    The book is always better than the show/movie

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

umyesh likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I enjoyed this book very much last January! :love

Karen likes this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I finished this one towards the end of last year. Very cute. I'd call it "fantasy lite" or magical realism. It's about a man who is a social worker and asked to take a specific interest in the children of a specific home. He is asked to make a formal report about the caregiver and their home management and feelings. He learns much about them and himself. It was a very "feel good" type of book. I was happy I read it, though it isn't a favorite or something I will need to reread over and over. The author was new to me, however, and I will definitely consider reading more of the author's work.

Hope you all enjoy it!

bellbird and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

That's great to know Kristina! I just got my ebook from the library yesterday, so I'll hopefully be starting it soon. I could use a nice easy read right now! :agree

klee73010 likes this.
  5. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I read this last year! So good. Quirky, magical, and some of the best dialogue ever. The dinner scene cracked me up!

Karen likes this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the subject of this book, so I thought I was going to be reading another beachy, summer story. I was kind of bummed when I started to read it.

>>>>
    But I soon got over that. What an amazing book! I think everyone should read it. I thought, Oh no, not another book about magical people. But you soon learn it's about much more than magical kids. It's about acceptance. It's about inclusion. It's about love. I knew as soon as Linus left the island that he would be going back. He loved the kids and they loved him. He loved Arthur and Arthur loved him. Family is who you live with, even when they are not blood relatives.<<<<

This was the author's first book and hope he writes many more.

bellbird and klee73010 like this.
  7. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

The new book just came out! It's called Under the Whispering Door. I've heard good things, but I haven't read it yet.

bellbird, Karen and djp332 like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sounds like Bart's kind of setting for a book!
    [​IMG]

9. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

10. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I m still suffering with reading, but trying to get better.... for now, Bart loves you all!!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

14. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

15. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Such a wonderful feel good story!

16. Karen

I finally am getting a bit of reading time in and I finished this one about a week ago. There were parts that I liked and parts that I got a little annoyed with, but I think the annoyance had more to do with the audiobook that I listened to. I think I would have enjoyed this far more if I'd just stuck to reading it. I was flipping back and forth between reading on my Kindle and listening while painting. At first it seemed a lot too similar to Harry Potter to me too. It was a cute story though.

bellbird likes this.
  17. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Just checked out the audiobook. I guess the new Outlander book will have to wait a few hours.

Karen likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Just finished this. I couldn’t put it down once I started. There were some parts I could have done without, but I really enjoyed the audiobook. Narrator did a great job with the voices; especially Chauncey. Lots of great snark and one liners. I laughed out loud several times.

I’ve put a hold on the author’s new book (FYI- It’s a new story; not a sequel).

19. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I had fun listening to this one.

Karen likes this.
  20. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Please read the reviews, of the book from goodreads written by Kas (when you click on the book at the top of this post.) Might give you all an other perspective.