Beauty Aids and Pharmacies | Pad Patter 9.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 23, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, long story short, our pharmacy is overwhelmed right now and my mother in law has needed some new prescriptions. Which means I've spent an awful lot of time wandering around the store while I wait for scripts (I count about 5 hours in the last fortnight). And our pharmacy has all the beauty stuff - makeup, nail polish, etc. It dawned on me that I haven't replaced any of my makeup since 2016. I don't wear a lot, so I forget. But, it's time.

I've bought 9 nail polishes, 8 things of clearance makeup, a face cream, and some eye shadow. All to replace what I have that's pretty old and clumpy and worn out. When you wander, you find all the clearance items! :wooot

So, I wondered: How often do you replace makeup and nail polish and such? I mean, I replace my toothbrush every 90 days, and toothpaste when I run out. But I swear makeup and nail polish never run out.

Not a beauty person? I've also wondered about pharmacies in other countries:
    How do you get prescriptions? Do you get them by mail? Pick them up? Is it a national chain or an independent pharmacy? Can you get them at the hospital (the hospital in Las Vegas did for patients, but non-employees can't here)?

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

99% of the time I get my family's prescription via mail order. It's quick, convenient and cheaper. In fact my 'scripts are "free" via mail order vs. $10+ at the pharmacy.

I rarely wear makeup and then only mascara, so whenever I decide to wear mascara I have to buy a new tube as the old one has invariably dried up.

bestcee likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have a drawer full of powdered makeup that I haven't worn for years. 3 years ago I did buy a liquid foundation that I will pull out for special occasions but otherwise I'm to the point of not wearing makeup ever. I have become quite comfortable with the natural look since towards the end of me wearing eye makeup, it never looked right. Hard to explain but the shadow on one eyelid would always be darker than the other no matter what I tried to do to correct it. Even though I can see without my glasses, I don't see well enough to put on makeup.

As to nail polish, it chips within hours of putting it on no matter what I do to prevent chipping. My nails are weak so I did try all kind of hardening products and none seemed to work until now. A scrappy friend recommended something and I'm trying it. It seems to be working for 9 of my 10 nails... the one that is the worst is the one it isn't helping yet. But I've only been using it 2 weeks.

I use a small, independent, local pharmacy for prescriptions. Hated using chain pharmacies.

4. bestcee

This is exactly what made me start looking at the makeup! My old mascara was totally dried up. I rarely wear makeup, but I like to have it available for date night.

5. bestcee

LOL! Yes! I totally get this. Although, I can't really see that well without my glasses. I end up putting makeup on with my contacts in typically.

Oh, what? My nails are pretty okay these days, I started taking Vitamin E daily about a year ago, and I'm finally seeing the results on my nails.

6. HavaDrPepper

I have never been able to wear contacts because of my prescription!

It's called Nailtiques Formula 2 and I got it off of Amazon. In fact several of my nails have gotten so long I now have trouble typing since I'm not used to long nails. And, I had to digitally sign the paperwork at Verizon for a new tablet the other day and had to use my finger... my nail was too long so I struggled. Signature does not look good. Not continuous at all.

The other thing I've been doing for over 6 months has been taking liquid collagen every day. I put it in my Carnation Instant Breakfast every morning. It seems to be really helping my hair and had hoped it would help the nails. So maybe the 2 things combined with eventually fix that one nail that splits all the time.

bestcee likes this.
  7. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I use make-up mainly in winter (more for protection the skin than for beauty:-)), in summer just corrector to hide red stains, eye lines and mascara - mostly I manage to use it up in 2-4 months. but nail polishes.... - I used to buy them (because of the fantastic!!! colour) and use one or two times only... so I ban myself to buy any other:-).

about prescriptions - last years mainly by QR code in a message. it´s simple and quick, win-win for doctors, patients and pharmacies. I can pick it whenever I want, but... not all drugs are covered by the insurance (or fully covered) and the addiotional payment can be quite different. so if you take routinely some drugs, you know what pharmacy is the best to pick it up. also no pharmacy offers everything, best stocked are usually the hospital pharmacies.

bestcee likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So, I wondered: How often do you replace makeup and nail polish and such?

Nail polish gets thrown out when it starts getting thick. I use OPI and it tends to last for 2+ years. I don't wear makeup everyday anymore, but I still use it frequently enough that I need to replace it. Eye shadows and blushes stay the longest. I'll use alcohol to refresh the palette if needed or to disinfect.

How do you get prescriptions? Do you get them by mail? Pick them up? Is it a national chain or an independent pharmacy? Can you get them at the hospital (the hospital in Las Vegas did for patients, but non-employees can't here)?

About half of my prescriptions are mail order and the other half are picked up at the pharmacy. We have coverage for CVS, so that's where we purchase our medications. Some of my medications are narcotics, which means I have to go to the pharmacy to fill those. I've never gotten a prescription from a hospital, unless I had a procedure and they sent me home with medication.

9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I wear make-up daily during the school year on week days. I usually go without on the weekends, for the most part. I replace it when it runs out. Foundation, and mascara are usually the quickest to run out, so maybe like every 3 months or so. Eye shadow lasts forever lol. I can't even remember the last time I bought it. I don't wear lipstick or gloss, just chapstick of some kind. I really never buy nail polish. If my nails are done, I had them done at the salon. I do have some that I use when I get my nails done with clear gel (fill-ins are cheaper that way). If it's a little clumpy, I just add a drop of polish remover to it.

bestcee likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I wear so little make up anymore - mainly because I can't wear eye makeup because of itchy eyes. That was what I used to wear the most of.

I spend way more on my face cream than I do on makeup. I've used Olay Regenerist since it came out. I order mine online now, so I don't run out. I love Maybelline Age Rewind with sunscreen in it and put it on every day. I started this regime when we lived in Florida and I was in the sun all the time.

I love Elf makeup though - it's very inexpensive and it's great makup. I wear their blush almost every day too.

I love to wander around in Walgreens, too. I usually buy things I don't even need, though. Haha

11. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I have to admit I've been wearing more make up as I get older (LOL) but like Cheryl, itchy eyes mean I don't exactly slather it on! And even though I wear it more often than I did, it still lasts forever.

Glad I don't have to queue or wait too long for prescriptions. I usually get them from the nearest big bargain chemist, where they are free (although I do have one slightly expensive prescription that the Government doesn't pay for, because it's for a rare condition ... I fall through the cracks on that one). It's nice to finally only bother with making sure I have enough of my own meds and collect my own prescriptions, because everyone (including the 19 year old) sorts themselves out now.

bestcee likes this.
  12. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I'm awful at replacing makeup. My thinking is only I use it, and I can spray powder products with alcohol if I'm concerned. That said, I don't wear it as much as a I used to. A liquid foundation can last me over a year.

I only get rid of nail polish if it's poor quality or starting to clump.

13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a makeup person. I may wear it a handful of times a year, mostly when I know I'll be in a lot of pictures or we're going someplace special. Because we don't go out socially much right now due to covid, it may have been an entire year since I last wore any! (We had family photos taken last September, so I know I wore some then.) I replace it when it needs it (texture change, dried up, etc) since I never run out.

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

I switched to contacts when I was 14 because my eyes were so bad. My glasses would leave a red mark on my nose they were so heavy! I actually have a hard time with my glasses now, because I use my contacts so often. Like, I don't like to drive with my glasses because I can't see as good as with my contacts. Even though they are both an updated prescription.

15. bestcee

That's the brand I picked up on clearance. I've never used it before.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

I wore glasses for 2-3 years as a child but my problem was corrected before I even went to school. I didn't need glasses again until I went to college and it was only for night/distance driving, movies in a theater or intensive reading. Then in my 30's I had to switch to bifocals and started wearing them full time. Eye doctor said no to contacts. I can see without glasses but things are a little blurry especially the last few years since I have the start of cataracts. As for glasses, I now have 4 different pairs. One is sunglasses. The other 3 are different styles so when one hurts my nose I can switch to a different pair. For some reason I also have problems with the glasses hurting right behind my right ear. So I tend to keep frames and just get new lenses when my prescription changes.

I am not to the point of needing cataract surgery yet. My eye doctor (who is a classmate) told me when she first diagnosed them that as long as they can correct my vision by prescription, no need to look at surgery. And, Medicare would pay for it fully if I could hold off that long. Now on Medicare and no significant change in the cataracts so I guess I'm good for awhile.

bestcee likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love it!

18. bestcee

@HavaDrPepper That said, my dad had cataract surgery, and now doesn't have to wear lens at all. Is that possible with yours? That might be worth the surgery.

19. HavaDrPepper

They don't want to do surgery until absolutely necessary. As I said, I can still see even without glasses. Just can't read or think about driving without them. They also haven't gotten any worse in 3 years.

bestcee likes this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I only wear make-up a couple days a week. I buy foundation and mascara probably every 6 months. Everything else lasts a couple years! I do go through the facial lotion I use every couple of months and buy that regularly.

I usually buy new nail polish when I actually feel like doing my nails which isn't very often. I think I just like buying new colors...and then my girls use it.