liquids & electronics | Pad Patter 24 Sept

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 24, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

[​IMG]
    Have you had the heart stopping, internet freezing and Zoom dying moment that becomes longer from a liquid & electronics incident?
    Have you felt smug when it was someone else & not you & didn't have to clean it up, or have you had to buy a new device for someone as a result?

Consider this a PSA ahead of DSD activities next weekend.
    Keep your drink of choice away from your electronics.
    I say this to the kids a lot but DH managed to enthusiastically gesture at one of a few screens & knocked a whole cup of coffee over everything and it tripped the circuit for like a third of the house during a morning meeting last week & of course the internet is in that section so it wasn't great. Apparently, all the other people at the meeting when he eventually caught up with them much later on all had that head nodding, been there condolences empathy, especially after so much working from home. At least the office is tiled and I wasn't the one that had to mop it this time. Everyone also seemed to sympathise that he hadn't even got to have a sip of his morning cuppa yet!

Got a cautionary tale to share or tip to avoid any clean up or heartache?

2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Thankfully in all my years designing and digi-scrapping I have not had an electronic/liquid incident.

Today my daughter spilled my coffee all over some school books! Which is almost as bad. Haha.

bellbird likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That's why I drink pop out of bottles that have a cap. Actually goes back to when I was working and we weren't allowed to have open cans of pop at our desks but they were OK with bottles. And, by it having a cap, if you don't drink it all, it can go in the fridge until the next day.

If I am drinking something other than pop, it is put into a tumbler cup with a lid.

bellbird likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Only containers with lids are allowed around our laptops! That's our hard and fast rule! My husband spilled his drink all over my keyboard years ago and it was fried. I'm not sure if they can be dried out now, but I don't want to find out. That was years ago and it was ruined. We have a cat now and he can be up on our desks before we can blink, so it's even more important.

AJK likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have a desktop and it's off the ground and to the left of my desk. When I had a laptop, I didn't have a spill issue, but it got stepped on and the screen had to be repaired. It was a pretty easy fix, and actually that's when I started using a separate monitor/having multiple monitors.

I almost exclusively drink out of Yeti-type tumblers with a lid, and that lid has saved me more than once, especially when I'm bringing my drink to my bedside table. For some reason, I get all fumble fisted before bed and almost knock over my drink, drop my phone or book, or my spinal cord stimulator charger.

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I had a thermos of boiling water that leaked and cooked my blackberry phone a few years back. The liquid and the heat was a killing combination.
    A mug of tea and a hand gesture took out a keyboard of mine too. Thankfully my desktop is good, I have learnt to keep my tea behind my keyboard - so as not to have a repeat performance.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

One of the best things I have leftover from paper scrapping, besides my pink tape gun! is my drink holder. I actually upgraded my original one when I went to a scrapbook conference in 2015, when I met Cheryl, Lena, and a few other scrappers!
    My first one was the Creative Memories Sidekick -It still works! Munchkin uses it on his table where he plays with the laptop.
    sm-CM.jpg

I upgraded to the ScrapMabob because it has a much bigger drink holder! My 32 ounce water bottle fits just fine, in fact my 40 ounce one does too.

SCrapmabob.jpg

I bought my husband one, because he was jealous of my drink holder! Plus, the cat tipped his drink over one day. Luckily, no damage, but it concerned him.
    gypsy.jpg

So, we all have a drink holder that keeps the liquid off our desk and away from the electronics.

AJK likes this.
  8. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I've dropped my smart phone in the toilet... there was no saving it.

I now don't take my phone in the bathroom lol.

Memaw2Wm and bestcee like this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had a whole glass of sweet tea spilled on a laptop once. We were leaving for vacation, so I took it apart, wiped some of it down with alcohol, and set it by the window for the week we were gone. Fortunately, it booted up and lasted a while longer. I've also had a couple of phone in the toilet accidents lol. I obsessively check my pockets now. DS jumped in the pool with his phone in his pocket this summer and all I can say is thank goodness for iPhones been water resistant. It never missed a beat.

10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I have the CM drink holder that I use at crops, but I always drink out of a Tervis tumbler with a lid and straw. Knock on wood that I’ve never taken out any electronics.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I’ve never dumped a drink on my keyboard. The worst thing I’ve done (more than once) is drop my phone and have to send it in for repairs.

12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

My hubby has also had a phone in his pocket when he went in the water, his was not waterproof ! No saving that one.
    I have not had a spill yet, but a few near misses.

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Thankfully I've never done any major damage spilling drinks by my computers. I am notorious for knocking over my pop bottle at work though. Thankfully it's always spilled away from my keyboard... which I use a desktop and the keyboard would be an easy replacement. I wouldn't have to replace the whole computer to my klutziness. :giggle

14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Picture two hearing aids floating in a bowl of coffee! My husband was taking a nap and kicked over a cup of coffee into a bowl on the coffee table where my hearing aids were sitting. Unbelievable, they still worked after their refreshing/invigorating swim.

bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

SO CLEVER, Courtney @bestcee !!

bestcee likes this.