Don't Laugh (Folder Previews)

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Okay so don't laugh at how OCD I've become. I was never like this before. So I take the main preview image of each kit/bundle I buy and make it the folder preview so all mine look like this.
    Screen-Shot-2021-09-14-at-10.16.38-AM.jpg

I love it b/c I can at a glance see pretty well what the kit is, then I also use Mac tags with names and such.

So here's where you don't laugh okay? I was going through a folder I'd never added the previews too and found that MPM Arise was missing it's usual main preview. So I just popped in the store and can save the image from the store, right? Only it's missing the top and bottom. Que the OCD! (now you can laugh because omg how insane is that?!) So I was trying to figure if it was worth it to use photoshop to make a similar version so all my folders are the same?!

Please tell me I am not the only one this weird?! Anyone else do this for their folder previews?

Edited to add my "matching preview" made in photoshop. I didn't know the font so I used Abel and it's pretty close I think.
    Screen-Shot-2021-09-14-at-10.54.52-AM.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    keepscrappin likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I do this for Windows and it annoys me if I can't see a quick WHOLE preview. :)
    When I had Mac, I used Photos, and the main Photo was the preview.

It makes it so much easier to scroll to see what I want. I'm very visual.

No laughing here... I've been doing this for too many years to count.

keepscrappin and Kat like this.
  3. Kat

I am very visual too... and at a quick glance. I get so stressed when I am searching for anything and don't find it quickly. I did find a similar set of colors and "fix up" my own matching preview, lol.

keepscrappin and jk703 like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I’m with you in the OCD club... visual is my jam! If a kit doesn’t have a folder.jpg preview, then I rename it so windows will show it for me. :agree

Kat likes this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

It sure looks pretty though.
    I like organisation neatness too. I just don't call it OCD.

bestcee, jk703 and Kat like this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I too use the folder.jpg in Windows. However I do it so that I can see what colors the kits are to help me pick a kit to use.

Kat likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

as I view everything inside ACDsee I don't need a folder.jpg. The viewer automatically shows me the contents of folders, starting with the jpgs.
    Screenshot 2021-09-14 190026.jpg

bestcee and Kat like this.
  8. Kat

I did try ACDSee a few times but it always crashed my system. I have Adobe Bridge with my subscription. I use that to view things as I am scrapping. It's not the best view option (the previews stay super small) but it's decent. I never could figure out why that program crashed my system. Something else I had I guess wasn't compatible.

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep, I'm like Angela, so I delete the folder.jpg.

Okay, I also delete the folder image because I like to combine pieces of kits into one and the folder always asks to overwrite or whatever.

But I name all previews prev or preview so I can also just search for that and look at kits. And I add an underscore to the preview, so it's the first thing in the folders. That's my weird.

Kat likes this.
  10. Kat

I kinda like this weird! lol. I am needing a way next to tag all the previews so they come up in searches better in bridge. I seriously have organized until it seems I can't do anymore yet I still can't find a thing when I need a certain kit by name. It will take me years to get through it all but I think the previews are the next thing I am going to work on. My biggest problem I discovered is that I am sometimes lazy and I found just in my MPM folder, sooo many of them had NO previews whatsoever. Like I deleted or forgot to download the previews. But it's too late now!

bestcee likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am not laughing at you... I would have done the exact same thing so they all matched and were pretty! :agree I think you're in good company here... we seem to share the same brand of OCD. :giggle

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like seeing the preview, especially for color combining kits. I use acdsee but not every kit previous shows so not sure how to fix that but it does show many so thats good.

13. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I have screenshot the previews from the store here before, in order to make sure I have the previews for collections/MPM/M3.
    My crazy organizational thing is that I rename folders and previews with the date they were released (year-month) then the designer name, then the kit name. I keep all BYOC previews (copies) in a folder together, by month, which helps me to know what I have for that month. The newest BYOC I keep all together for the month it is new, then I will put each designer's stuff into her own folder and I also have a New Folder in which I keep stuff which I haven't used yet. Once i use it, then I move it to that designer's folder.
    Here is an image of my new folder:
    Screenshot 2021-09-22 10.07.48.png
    And here is this month's BY0C Screenshot 2021-09-22 10.09.12.png

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I don't do any of this at all. LOL I have each kit in a folder by designer name and kit name and that's it. To your question: Do what works for you! I think it's awesome you're so organized!

bestcee likes this.
  15. bestcee

@KayTeaPea I have questions!
    Why the date when it was released? If you pick up from SOSN, do you search for the original release date?

I add on to BYOC at the end: so I have fdd_AlwaysTogether_DD BYOC 0918. That way I can search BYOC, and I can also search the monthyear. I do the same for Monthly kits like Memory Pockets Monthly, M3, and Create Crate, . I add the monthyear at the end so I can easily look for certain themes - like August, etc.

KayTeaPea likes this.
  16. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

The store has things listed by date (the date might not always be shown, but each designer's stuff is by date), and my mind works by date. I like to be able to see what is "old" and what is "new", so using the date released helps me to keep things in order the way my mind works. Usually, I don't have to search the store for the date things are released as the folder preview will show when it was created (under properties)

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

Thanks for sharing! @KayTeaPea I would never have thought of the folder date or of adding the dates to everything.

18. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

I'm on Windows, but love having the previews as the folders, so take the time to make ico files for each preview and change the folder preview to that (it does take some time when I have to switch drives to get them all changed over again because of course its a path on Windows...so yeah). But yes, I'm visual and can quickly scroll through and it jogs my memory.

I also have a folder for templates separately, and have a jpeg of each PSD file saved so I can see the template quickly - and just recently decided that I wanted to change the bottom layer of each template to the designer & template name - that way after I save my page with whatever file name makes sense, I won't forget exactly what template it was that I started with. (I had been doing this when I was working on a page before I saved with the new file name but occasionally forgot and was like why don't I just change them to start with...so yep still working on that)

19. bestcee

That's really smart!