voice to text? | Pad Patter 17 Sept

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 17, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

[​IMG]
    So every once in a while when i scrap a lot more than my normal, my wrists and hands remind me they don't love it and so i try to catch up on gallery comments using voice to text.

So first, my apologies if anyone has received a non-sensical comment from me that i didn't catch before hitting 'post comment', and second, do other people actually use this function successfully? And if so, do you have to talk differently? i've had to slow down a lot and try to pronounce words better (like i said something about paint up the top on one page the other day and it typed 'paint laptop', and i end up backspacing and re-talking or typing lot because it needs commas to make sense, so i try saying 'comma' but if i say 'comma', it types 'comma', however saying 'exclamation mark' types '!', so this is what makes me give up and go back to actual typing most of the time!
    Help me out or tell me about your similar frustrations?

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My dd uses nothing but that, but I'm an epic fail.

bellbird likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I use text every once in awhile and I agree that you have to speak clearly and slowly to avoid mistakes. Today I ran into a weird quirk. I said dash an it typed “dash”instead of a hyphen. So…I said hyphen and it wrote “dash”!
    Also, I don’t understand why it won’t type too, only to. I hope texting will get better because it is handy.

bellbird likes this.
  4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I've never tried it, but I can see where it could be useful. I've never even set up Siri on my phone, which has frustrated me a few times when being able to give a command while I'm driving or whatever would have come in handy.

weaselwatchr and bellbird like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’ve never tried it and like @KimJ I haven’t even set up Siri either.

KimJ and bellbird like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Yes, that 'to' when it's at the end of a sentence and is meant to be 'too', i can't say that any differently!! but it was doing it to me toO! o_0
    (i have yet to bother trying to say 'ampersand' but that is how i type 'and' like 99% of the time!)

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I use it from my Apple Watch occasionally when I need to answer a message but don't have my phone on me. It's super frustrating sometimes unless it's just a one word answer lol. I much prefer just typing.

bellbird likes this.
  8. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I had this in my old Samsung, and it happened a lot of this things you all mentioned, the only point is that I used when messaging in Portuguese, never tried in English...it would be fun! then I 've changed to a new model of Samsung and couldn't find this option...

bellbird likes this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

LOL!!! Every once in a blue moon I'll use voice to text but sometimes I get confused and used the recording one. LOL!!!!

bellbird likes this.
  10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I use it once in a while, but it almost requires just as much work to fix all of the errors as it would to just type it out in the first place (at least for me, lol).

Iowan and bellbird like this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I do from my car- but it's a freakin computer on wheels so it does a great job usually. However, when I say my son's name DECLAN it always thinks I'm saying JACKLIN. :eyeroll My mom does from her phone & it's hilarious. She'll do it while driving usually too and in between her giant run on message, it will also type out her cursing to other drivers and such. I just think it's funny & need to screenshot some of them to save! lol!

Karen, bellbird and bestcee like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Nope. I've thought about it, and tried it a few times, but I type faster and text pretty fast so correcting takes too long.

I have used it a few times in the car, and there's always random errors, not to/too, but Nick's name ends up...not Nick.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL!!! (i haven't tried it with names - i wonder if it would type your name as 'court knee' or 'caught knee'! i guess it would be as annoying and i'd probably be 'just teen' to sign off my own messages but it's bedtime so i'm signing off for now and not about to start talking to my phone again right now so that's an experiment for another day!

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use talk-to-text when my hands are busy elsewhere, but I prefer to just type it out.

I use the swipe/glide keyboard, so it's infinitely faster and with less errors (at least for me anyway).

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Typically? Country. Or County.

bellbird likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think I need to look into that then!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I also use swipe keyboards on my phone. Both Samsung and Google's keyboards do it on Android phones. (There are others, but I don't bother with them anymore now that the pre-installed keyboards can do it). They're a lot faster than regular typing, but they also need some fixing afterward because they don't always get the words right. For short things like texts it's easier to use the swipe keyboard. And for long things I just wait until I'm on my computer and can type with a real keyboard. But there's a sweet spot in the middle where I love using talk-to-text on my phone. If I need to write a paragraph or so, I often use the voice typing function. It does need fixing afterward, but it's still faster than typing it. Punctuation and starting a new line are the worst!

bellbird and gonewiththewind like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The only time I use voice to text is when I'm driving and need to send a quick text. My car has a button on the steering wheel that activates Siri and then I talk and she'll read it back to me before sending. That seems to work pretty well, but I mostly only send things like "I'm on my way" or other short things. If I'm not driving I always prefer to type our my message with my thumbs. Lol. I'm probably slower that way, but it's just my habit.

bellbird likes this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never use it. Not even sure it would work that well for me since I have a lisp that is noticeable at times. Unfortunately, the worst letters for me are "p" and "s". It was really bad during all of my dental issues and is getting better now that I have a full set of teeth again.

But then I don't live on my phone all the time either. The few texts I send I can type them out.

bellbird likes this.
  20. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I sometimes use it in the computer, but depending on how tired I am, my English confuses the dictation thingy.... BUT.... on texting? both iMessage and WhatsApp have the choice of recording the message......
    Sarita keeps making jokes about how young people (meaning under under 35ish, she is 25) type one way, and us (old people , she means!) do it with one finger LOL, and how people do NOT like 20 minutes voice messages...... so, not to record long messages to her friends or my nieces or God Daughters because they tend not to listen to it all..... anyway, for me, having issues with reading and writing, the voice message (recorded) is the very best option (as some of you know!!!) anyway,
    here is a happy but needing love lil Bart!!!

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.