Back up options

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Sep 12, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

In July, I stopped using Backblaze as my internet was too slow to do any of the downloads in a timely manner so I cancelled it. I hadn't tried to upload at all with the new internet connection that I'd just started using as I was focused on downloading my data before a new month rolled over. I was going to change to using an ehd because I knew I had one.....problem was it was way too small (250gb). Saved enough money to get a new ehd but then we had and continue to have Covid related lockdowns for who knows how long to be honest so I couldn't physically go to the store to purchase one. I can't order online because of delivery drivers not doing their deliveries properly so its just too risky. At this stage I have no onsite or offsite backup and I'm worried....would you resign up to Backblaze while you wait out the lockdowns or just wait until I can get an external hard drive?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I would sign up for backblaze or something to at least make sure my photos are backed up. Lockdowns won't last forever, and at that point it sounds like you have a plan for switching to an EHD. But it would make me super nervous not to have my photos backed up somewhere besides just my computer.

3. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I've ordered and had a few EHD's shipped... it's been fine, and if it wasn't, I make sure I can ship back as a return if needed.

4. littlekiwi

Buying from a retailer online isn't so much of the issue - I know where I'd buy it from, its the delivery companies being lazy and not wanting to walk down a straight long driveway and up some stairs (while I am home might I add) and leaving a card to call in my mailbox so end up playing telephone tag and delivery driver tag for up to a week without Covid lockdowns in place so god knows how it will go with lockdowns in place as well.

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Since deliveries are not an option, your only option is to resign up. I guess only if you want to pay or not.

6. littlekiwi

Not being backed up is my biggest fear but given how long it took to do my initial backup I may not even get it backed up before I get a EHD. If lockdowns allow, I'll have an external hard drive within maybe 2-3 weeks otherwise it will be late next month when my fave technology store will more than likely have a long weekend sale and I have to get antivirus software then anyway.

bestcee likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

In the mean time I would determine what I would hate to lose the most and put it on the EHD you do have. Granted, it won't be much but at least that would alleviate some of your worries. You could also zip up the files so they don't take as much space so you could get more on the EHD. Again, temporary solution but better than nothing.

Also, what about One-Drive or something like that as an interim holding spot? I've never used it but could it be an option for a couple of months? A quick google shows that you get 5GB of space for free and there is a per-month subscription available that gives you another 100GB.

8. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper still the same issue with getting it uploaded in a timely manner thanks to living at the bottom of the world with sucky internet speeds.

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Don't know what to tell you then. You asked for options, I gave you some cheap ones until you can get an EHD. :confused:

10. littlekiwi

Oh don't worry I get it, was thinking there wouldn't be a great solution to this. Have 98% decided to go back to Backblaze and get an EHD once I can, that way I've got two backups. In all honesty I probably should have never given up on it, but as I was getting so frustrated at downloading everything super slowly I figured it wasn't worth paying for it....two months down the track I am regretting that decision especially now that I actually don't know when I'll be able to safely get an EHD.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I probably won't ever stop Backblaze, but all of my pictures auto backup to Flickr and Google Photos. I pay for both, so they're unlimited. My pictures actually back up to more places, but these are my go-to's. I've been on Flickr since 2008 and it's $49 a year, but I don't have to worry about how many pictures I have on there. I also have i-drive which is Creative Cloud. I move my folders there after I unzip them. I'm a freak about backing up my files.

12. LynnG

LynnG Designer

My photos back up to Flickr automatically as well. I have an EHD but also back up to Dropbox manually once a week. Auto-uploads for the size of my designing files just not feasible. Good luck sorting something out, it can be stressful (PS I had to get a new mac delivered in lockdown because I had no choice :cornfused bit nerve-wracking, especially as it just got left in the apartment block foyer!)

bestcee likes this.
  13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I agree with immediately making a backup of your highest priority items on the EHD you do have. (Since this is for short term use, I'd really just copy them over and not make a true backup that would update later.) Even if you re-sign up with BackBlaze or similar, it's going to be a while until you're backed up. My laptop's HD has a little over 1 TB filled, but if I needed to I could pare down the things I couldn't bear to lose to 250 GB. Having those essentials safe will give you some breathing room to wait out the lockdowns or begin the slow upload process.

bestcee likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

@rach3975 surprisingly it looks like with the new internet I changed to a couple of months ago its only going to take a few days to back everything up. I started yesterday morning at 9am, said it would be approximately 4 days and now its saying approximately one day so maybe my internet is faster than I thought it would be to upload as I was basing my assumption on download speed when I first changed over.

rach3975 and bestcee like this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@littlekiwi Yay for faster internet!! What a nice blessing.