Favorite Mattress?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by BevG, Sep 11, 2021.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So arggghhh, I have been putting it off, but we need a new mattress. Do you have one you love? What brand and kind?

I have been laying on them at the stores, but so many choices and even more variation in responses. Add in that some brands make models specific to certain stores and it becomes even harder to chose and wade through online reviews.

Right now I am thinking I want a hybrid medium firmness style in a queen. I tried the adjustable base - and no. So hit me up with good recommendations.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Temperpedic Prima Hybrid (which is no longer made) with an adjustable base. However, my base only rises on the head. I tried one with both foot and head in a store and hated the foot adjusting. There are nights I do not even use the adjustable and keep it flat. Other nights just a slight raise and other times I need more. It is great when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I just raise it up and watch TV with the sound down low. Usually end up going back to sleep.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a Serta SleepToGo 12" Gel Memory Foam Luxury King Mattress from Sam's Club. Munchkin loved it so much, we ended up buying him one as well (full, not king!). Turned out to be a good idea since his bed has been the guest bed a few times! It's comfy, and doesn't seem to pick up sweat odors.

We had a cheaper one from Amazon at one point, but it was definitely ready to be replaced at the 6 year mark. I prefer to pay less for a mattress because we like to replace it more often.

Side note: We built our bed, so it doesn't have a boxspring, just the mattress. I don't know if that makes a difference.

BevG likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have a split king adjustable bed with memory foam mattresses (but it's some kind of hybrid). The base and mattress are from Bed Boss. I just checked their site and it appears because of COVID and taxation on mattress imports, they are only doing the frames right now and not the mattresses.

I spent years sleeping in a recliner because of my chronic back pain. Having the adjustable bed has been a lifesaver for me.

I hope you find one that works for you. I can't tell you how getting a good night's sleep has helped me in all areas of my life.

BevG likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We ended up getting a Leesa mattress about 4 years ago and are very happy with it. (mattress in the box) ... It was funny when we decided to order it, the neighbor had one delivered, so we are not the only ones in the neighborhood with it. :) We love it.

BevG likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

We are on our second Sleep Number mattress. I'm not that particular about mattresses, but DH is very picky. We replaced our old worn out one (the side supports were sagging and DH's side developed a slow leak) about a year and a half ago when DH started waking up with back pain. Unfortunately, the new mattress hasn't helped, so it feels like a huge waste of money. :thumbsdowns

BevG likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Back pain is also why I got the adjustable. I would also get stiff necks all the time and I've noticed that since I've had the adjustable I don't get them very much at all. Now when I do I know it is time to visit the chiro.

gonewiththewind and BevG like this.
  8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We're on our second Kingsdown mattress, not sure what model though. I love that I don't notice when DH tosses and turns in the night plus I no longer get hip and back pain.

BevG likes this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I wish I had a good recommendation for you!

I just got a new mattress this summer that was a "medium" headed towards soft... and it's just not quite soft enough for me. I need constant pressure on my lower back so that it doesn't hurt, and the mattress isn't quite soft enough to envelop my back as much as I need it to. After about 5 or 6 hours, even if I'm sleeping on my back, it starts to ache. The ache does go away after a few minutes of being up and walking around but I'd like to sleep more than 6 hours sometimes, like on a weekend, and I just can't. I'm hoping it will start softening up a little more in the next few months to make it more tolerable.

BevG likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We have a Serta too, with smallish coils.
    Love it, you sink into it and yet it still offers support where you need it.

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We have a Sleep Number Bed. I'm all meh about it, but DH loves it. His side is super soft, and mine is quite firm, so that is a positive. We can each change the feeling we have on each side. I have added or released air from my side if my back or neck is bothering me. We (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. I think we've had it about 10 years now. It has a 20 year whatchamacallit... I'm guessing DH would want it again....

I do keep seeing those purple beds/mattresses. I'm curious about them.

I need a good pillow that supports my neck.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We have a Zinus memory foam mattress from Amazon. It's like the Tuft and Needle brand, but a LOT cheaper. When we bought our about 4 years ago, our king sized mattress was $228! I was super nervous about trying the memory foam type of mattress, but for that price I figured if it lasted us a year it would be worth it! And I love our mattress. It's both firm and soft at the same time and even after 4 years I can't see any spots that are broken down or sagging. And I also do feel my hubby when he does his olympic sized flips in the middle of the night. :giggle

[​IMG]

BevG likes this.
  13. bestcee

Can you add one of those memory foam toppers?

Long story short, at one point my kid had a 20 year old hospital bed as his bed. So, we added a memory foam topper and that made it more comfortable for him (and me when I fell asleep with him). I mean, he was 3-5 years old, so different body type, but he told us the bed was more comfortable.

14. bestcee

Do you sleep on your side?

I do, and I found one of those side pillows that's an L-shaped and my neck is supported so much better now! I thought they were gimmicky, but it really works well for me.

15. jk703

I switch from my side to my stomach. When on my stomach, I tend to use a corner of the pillow. Can you share a link? or kind?

16. bestcee

@jk703
    This is similar to the one I have, I think mine is from Kohls or something? I also have a small Boomerang. I bought the small one first, thinking it was bigger - it's a little small for me, but my kid likes it. My mom has the bigger one, which is where I first tried this type of pillow, but I can't find the bigger Boomerang anywhere. I sleep with my head right at the indent, so my shoulder sits against the pillow. My kid prefers to sleep with the long edge cradling his back, and the short edge with his head. I don't actually know which one is technically correct. :-) They are both comfortable.
    And I didn't know I had this much to say about pillows!

[​IMG]

BevG and jk703 like this.
  17. jk703

Thank you so much!

bestcee likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Update: I went with the Leesa Legend Hybrid - currently on sale at Costco. I also ordered the foundation directly from Leesa since Costco does not sell it. FYI - Leesa is one of the few mattress companies that does not void their warranty if you place the mattress on something other than their foundation. In fact, they give you tips on how to use an existing box springs to support it. But I decided to go ahead with their foundation as the easiest solution. With Costco's generous return policy, I figure it is worth a try. So now I wait...

KimJ likes this.