Tips for stretching your stash?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by LivyBug, Sep 9, 2021.

1. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I'm feeling a bit stumped. I'm sure we've all been there when you want new supplies, but no budget.

How do you make a previous kit feel new again? Or use a themed kit not for its intended purpose?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

• Mixing and matching your kits.
    • Blending papers. The less used modes near the bottom of the dropdown list can give some really dramatic changes, e.g the difference blending mode.
    • Recolouring elements
    • cut-outs and custom shapes
    • layering elements
    • Using elements as brushes.
    • Stickers can be blended into papers
    • flat elements could be turned into vellum by reducing the opacity.
    • I have a number of CU overlays/textures/simple elements that I often use to stretch kits or add what I find is missing.

LivyBug, Ferdy and keepscrappin like this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

In addition to the ideas Angela suggested, I look at the colors and non themed elements when I’m scrapping with a themed kit and want to make it stretch for other themes.

LivyBug and Angela Toucan like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Oh and another thing is to add styles to elements to get different looks. The possibilities with styles are endless.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Recolor some of them, but I am with Angela.. mix and match!

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm really bad at not checking my (older) stash, so I do that. I go back and look at kits that I haven't used for awhile and they're all new again! I forget about some of them (sadly) so it's fun to pull them out again - my collabs are fun to go to, as well. They're a great source of inspiration because there are so many different designers in them.

LivyBug, bestcee, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

definitely mix and match. Jaimee's storyteller kits are especially good for this. To be honest I'm very rarely a one kit scrapper.

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've never been a kit scrapper anyway, always mixing kits. I use the search function of my computer files to find what I want, so I'm looking through a bunch of ribbons, for example, or tags, or whatever comes up for "love," or for "cookie" -- not looking at kits. Maybe that would help, looking at your stash as a bunch of elements, categorizing them via search terms instead of looking at kits. I hope I explained that well. If you take a look at my credits for most of my layouts in the gallery, I think it will clarify what I mean. I usually have at least 10 items to list because everything on my page is from a bunch of different kits.

9. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I use a template, especially one with an eye catching design, like a cut out or a shape made of papers (makes sense?)

10. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

maybe look in the gallery of the designer, and get ideas from how others use the same kits?

11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

When I want to mix kits, I do it one of 2 ways. One is to use papers from 1 kit, then search (or use my favorites folders) for elements. The second way is to pick 2-3 kits that have similar colors. Maybe it's the entire color scheme that's similar, or maybe both kits just have the same shades of purple and blue. Then I can mix and match everything from those few kits. The other ways that I get new looks from existing kits are to use actions to make or transform elements and paper templates to make new papers. I see from your siggie that you're on Mommyish's team. If so, you should have easy access to both.

When I say paper templates, I really mean commercial paper making tools like these:
    [​IMG]

and these:

[​IMG]

and these:

[​IMG]

12. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I always make 2 layouts with a new kit, this makes me feel like I got my moneys worth for it, in a way. One following the kit's theme & one going away from the theme. It's a bit of an extra challenge to me, to look at a kit and immediately start thinking out of the box.

One thing I've started with recently, that I think I like & will continue doing, is to make an extra layer above the background layer & and play around with brushes & blend modes. Maybe make a texture to the background? Or a distressed border? A new pattern to the paper?

Also, I love to stretch templates by rotating them or rearranging them. Once I even made a "new" templates of my own by just starting a new document and then layer png-files from a bunch of templates.

13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I mix kits usually ,( 2 or 3 ,not often 10 but that can happen ) I use papers a lot, example For BYOC if I am only buying 3 kits 2 will be papers, 1 elements .
    I do not always use them as papers,but to fill shapes, overlay elements, add texture to a "dull " element . I love adding brushes and paints, and I was first in line when " clip to " was handed out :giggleI use it a lot. and like Michelle I use the search function on the computer to look for specific elements.
    EDIT; oh and I use PSE and very often use the custom shapes, or brushes built into the program, lots of fun clipping to them ( after simplify )

LivyBug likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Most of the above. Mix and match is always the best option for me! I started an MOC with two kits and a mega paper pack. I picked up one or two more kits during the month, but the majority of those pages were done with two kits.

The big one I do is use more papers. I layer more papers, cut shapes out, etc. I'll also use more brushwork since Adobe has that included.

The next is to pull out a big store collab to start. They always have so much in them that I've never touched, I can always make a bunch of pages from the collabs without feeling limited.

LivyBug, cfile and flowersgal like this.
  15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I love the tips above and use a lot!

thinking about challenges or CT work, most times I need to work with kits or themes that I don't have in my life like school,halloween or the different seasons, let's say: a snowy winter kit and here is hot like hell summer...so I focus on photos, I pick clothes or other things captured to match the color palette from the kits, I scrap old photos...

Most kits nowadays have wordarts that can be used for any style of page, like : fun, love, captured - so even if it's a let's say, halloween, I can use for other themes. Or you can slightely alter wordarts, there's a post at the Learning Pad, I think Dalis talks about ways to do this!
    and I always try to buy some cool alphas and other things like styles, actions, ripped templates, so they help creating new looks with the same kits!!

LivyBug likes this.
  16. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

[QUOTE="Ferdy, post: 1376175, member: 1414"
    thinking about challenges or CT work, most times I need to work with kits or themes that I don't have in my life like school,halloween or the different seasons, let's say: a snowy winter kit and here is hot like hell summer...so I focus on photos, I pick clothes or other things captured to match the color palette from the kits, I scrap old photos...
    [/QUOTE]

Worst month to be on a CT is July. As a non-American - there isn't much to do with red/white/blue. LOL

bestcee, LivyBug, Nemla and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@tanteva I know, right?? lol
    I love when the kits have individual colors elements and not blue/red/white mixed so I can scrap other themes!!

bestcee, LivyBug and tanteva like this.
  18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

LOL! As a non-Christian, it's December for me. There are only so many general winter pictures you can scrap with Christmas kits, especially once your kids are too old to go out and play in the snow!

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like to use a lot of products so combining kits works best for me. Recolouring/resizing and rotating is an easy way to change the look of an element. Combining papers using blend modes and overlays can completely change the look.

LivyBug likes this.
  20. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Thank you all SO much! I'm definitely a one-kit scrapper, so mixing kits would definitely help!!

I could definitely stretch a kit with papers, now that y'all mention it. I usually just use a couple on a page, and there's sometimes 20+ in a kit!

Do you have a tutorial for this? I'm intrigued!

keepscrappin likes this.