SEP 2021 Monthly Muse Week 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, Aug 30, 2021.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

“If love is in color then maybe we’re blind, cos it feels like we’re living as shadow and light.”
    Martin Luke Brown – Shadow & Light

Welcome to the September Monthly Muse
    This month’s focus is Chiaroscuro – the visual representation of light and shadow in art.

As always, the Monthly Muse is open for interpretation; however, during September’s journey, I invite you to focus on the techniques and concepts presented, then allow feelings or emotions to develop as the artwork comes alive.

Ideally, each week’s art assignment is approached from a neutral state, giving no initial meaning, such as “good” or “bad,” to the concepts of dark and light. It is easy to think of black as bad and white as good. Black/shadow is associated with sadness, fear, heavy emotions, or evil; white/light is associated with purity, goodness, and a fresh start. And while I do believe feeling and emotion will creep into your layout, I sincerely hope you start neutral, giving no initial meaning to shadow and light.
    Week 1 Challenge: High Contrast Black and White Photos in Art
    1. IMG_3435.jpeg
    High contrast black and white imagery makes full use of black and white tones to create contrast, mood, flow, and rhythm. The focal point is the juxtaposition between the whitest white and blackest black. Photos with extreme contrast between black and white can reduce textures to nothing – skin becomes marble and onyx. Introduce grey to the mix and you get raw, gritty textures and atmosphere.
    Untitled-3.jpg
    Photo credits: Angelina Jolie – Guerlain Perfume Ad; Maria Borges by JD Barnes; “Street Portrait" by vascotrancoso

For the September Week 1 Muse, you are encouraged to use black and white photos in your art. You are not required to take a new image for this challenge, you may use an older photo or vintage photos pulled from the net.

Library of Congress on Flickr is an awesome source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/

You may use post-processing filters or convert your color photo to black and white in your photo editor. Your photo does not have to be pure black and white – you may choose to scale down saturation to near black and white. You may choose to use split-tone affects.

Some of my favorite black/white photo filters in apps are:
    -Hipstamatic – Tinto 1884 + C-Type Plate (some color) or Tinto 1884 + D-Type Plate (pure black/white)

-Snapseed – Noir or Black and White
    -Portrait modes on the iPhone
    If you have the time and inclination this week, convert your camera to black and white and explore photography from several angles:
    -explore texture and shadows by taking a photo at high noon in bright direct sunlight;

-take a high-key photo maximizing white light – have your subject against a white or very light background;

-take a low-key photo maximizing black – have your subject against a black or very dark background;

-while taking black and white photography, chase shadows and follow the light.

If photography is not your thing, you may still find inspiration in this week’s high contrast black and white photography challenge.
    Literal interpretation (Josef Albers):
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 2.06.43 PM.png

Interpretive (Marjorie Sarnat)
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 2.11.00 PM.png

Challenge Requirements:
    1. For the Monthly Muse, you may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo – yes, even for this photography challenge you can go photoless!! Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone; have FUN!

2. You can use any products in The Lily Pad store or retired products from current Lily Pad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, 06 September 2021; and post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, regardless of the week posted in the month of September earns one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win
    As always, this week’s muse is up for interpretation. All I ask is that you allow Chiaroscuro – the visual representation of light and shadow in art to present itself to you; hopefully in the form of a photograph this week.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    G.J. and umyesh like this.
  2. ArmyGrl

I have LOTS of black and white photos in my stash. Some of my favorites were taken with the Hipstamatic iPhone App. Here I used an older photo from South Korea

[​IMG]

One of my favorite techniques is to place the photo on a black paper, then run a Photoshop blend mode on the photo - oftentimes lighten, lighter color, screen or difference (used here). The textures of the black paper peek through.

Original Photo - the app added lots of texture and grit
    IMG_1680.jpg

Photoshop blend mode - difference - Paula Kesselring black canvas paper
    Untitled-1.jpg

Next, I added an additional paper. I feel this stands as a piece of art in and of itself - but the photo was too covered up. I wanted the photo to take center stage, thus I deleted that additional paper. I show this here as example of what can be done with a black and white photo in art.
    Untitled-2.jpg

:p

MrsPeel, G.J., Dady and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Lisa, here's what I did, I'm not sure if this fully matches your request, but I enjoyed playing around with photoshop filters to make my photo black and white !
    Original photo
    2021-03-29-16.29.43_little.jpg

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  4. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge. I choose to be photoless. So I make my page only with black and white elements and papers.

[​IMG]

A-M, meterr and ArmyGrl like this.
  5. ArmyGrl

Hee, hee...I love black and white photography. Here is a traditional styled layout inspire by the week 1 theme - contrast + black and white photography.

[​IMG]

6. ArmyGrl

Hi Geraldine! Its puurrfffect. Sorry, couldn't help that. Just as a reminder, the Muse challenge is always open to interpretation. We seek to inspire creativity rather than dictate what must be done.

AJK likes this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]

A-M likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

Another example of a b/w photo blended into a a dark paper.

[​IMG]

9. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Thank you for another excellent muse. I turned this photo into high contrast.
    [​IMG]

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge, Lisa. I'll probably make another page, I had that much fun with black & white.

[​IMG]

11. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Great challenge Lisa! I don't know why I don't use B/W more... it's really a refreshing change!

Art-Journal-Sept-wk1-web.jpg

12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Thank you for the inspiration. I started with a photo from inside the canal tunnel at Chirk.
    [​IMG]

13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hoping this will qualify. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the variances from weeks 1-3 so far...

[​IMG]

14. ArmyGrl

Hi there. All weeks are open for interpretation, however week 1 focus is black and white photography - use b/w photography in you layout. Week 2 is about shadows - using shadows in art to create depth and illusion, but the twist was to make a black and white only layout. Week 3 is to make a dark or a light layout - or Barbara's twist be inspired by dark and/or light.

And your week 1 is perfect!

mcurtt likes this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Really late this month , sorry. I knew what I wanted to do, but only just got round to it.
    [​IMG]

16. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Lisa dear thank you so much for this challenge. This month has been specially rough for me, on the 2nd my aunt passed away, so I created this page in honor of all those dear people of mine that passed away, kinda of therapy, sorry for the sad mood.
    Full credits in gallery. Wishing you a very beautiful weekend @ArmyGrl :bk:heartslub:heartslub:heartslub
    [​IMG]

17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I completely forgot to post it here (I think!) apologies, my brain is failing a lot lately)
    [​IMG]