Does anyone actually read hardcovers?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 21, 2021.

1. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

There are many times when I just don't have the attention span for a long book. I feel like it just seems like it will drag and nothing will happen for 800 pages. But I'm usually happy when I read them! So who knows. My preference for books is audiobooks and then ebooks on my kindle. I will read paper when I absolutely can't get it another way from my library.

@michelepixels I'm the same way about being surprised about not having walls of bookshelves! For as much as I read, I don't buy very many books. We have a wonderful library system here, and I take full advantage. Sometimes I still wish I had those bookshelves...maybe one day!

bellbird and michelepixels like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

The only hardcover I read these days is a cookbook. I just find it so convenient to read digi books on my phone.

bellbird likes this.
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I don't. I love my Kindle. I hardly every pay for a book because I use the library and Amazon Prime for free books. I think that in 6 years, I may have purchased 5 books.

My daughter, the English teacher still reads real books.

Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

haha! I saw this Flippy and just ordered one for me and my husband! I got the smaller sized ones to use with our Kindles. I'm tired of dropping my Kindle when I fall asleep while reading.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    bellbird, Karen and LivyBug like this.
  5. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Well, I'm the person who has walls of books in 3 rooms of my house along with another couple thousand on my Kindle. Hardcover, paperback, ebook - all fine with me. I can't stand audiobooks. They take too long compared to my reading speed. And, yes, I'm aware that they can be sped up.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I agree with you on the speed of audiobooks. I can definitely read faster in a book than I can if I listen to them... but, I still "read" some audiobooks because I can sneak in extra reading time while I'm working sometimes. :giggle I don't like to speed them up either because then they sound funny. Lol.

When I was a kid (and still now) I used to think that the definition of rich was a person with walls of books in their house. :heartslub I still have a bunch of bookshelves in my basement with books I can't bear to part with, but I never even read them anymore. But they are like old friends! I mostly keep them so I can load them out to friends, so my friends can read my favorites too. That's the only thing I don't like about ebooks, you can't really loan them out.

bellbird likes this.
  7. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I love a hard cover book if sat reading at home, although I do prefer a paperback as means I can put it in my handbag when travelling to work. I read on my bus journey to and from work, and a hardcover book is just too heavy to carry.

I used to have a kindle but prefer an actually book, I was forever forgetting to charge my kindle. Big books don't put me off either, I have just started reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara which is 720 pages. Giving myself a month to finish it. I have a few big books on my TBR which determined to finish.

bellbird likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

9. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart

10. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Love hard covers

11. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

[​IMG] I am exactly the opposite of you. I adore hardcovers. I'm constantly fiddling with soft covers. If they're new I hate cracking the binding so I wind up only opening them up partway and read them with my neck to the side. They don't hold their place if your bookmark falls out or you drop the book...

I don't like ebooks because I am rarely on my computer when I am not scrapping or surfing the web, and I don't have a kindle or anything larger than my phone screen to read it by.

I'm a bibliophile through and through.

ETA: Book length isn't really an issue for me. I was reading 800+ page books since high school. Remember these:

https://johnjakes.com/books

I read some of them 3 and 4 times!

bellbird likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, I've got the North and South series and the Kent Chronicles series in hard cover. Also have the Kent Chronicles in the Kindle version. At one time I believe I also had the paperback version. That is what I read first then I got all of them in hard cover. I vaguely remember that my parents took the paperbacks with them when they spent the winters in FL and there was a place the residents of the trailer park could drop off books for others to read. Since I had the hard cover versions, they probably left them there.

13. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Before my cataract surgery I had perfect reading vision. I had bifocals but could read much better without them. I think this common in nearsightedness. My daughters would hand me items and ask me what they said. Now, I can’t read even with readers. In September, I tried to find a paperback with large enough text to take with me on vacation. I never found one.

I read a lot, over 100 books a year, all on my iPad. Thank goodness I can bump up the text so I can still enjoy reading.

bellbird and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I love a hardcover book if reading it at home or on holiday, but I tend to read paperbacks as can pop it in my bag to read on the way to work on the bus and during my lunch break. I wouldn't say length of books put me off as I do own a few larger books (not read them yet) I guess they do get pushed to the bottom of my reading list though

bellbird likes this.