School Traditions | Pad Patter 8.6

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 6, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I sent Munchkin back to school today (Yes, a Friday, yes, it's a little odd). I took his photo and sent him on his way.
    I photographed the long carline, since I don't have to do that this year. :-)cheer:circles:byay)

And I'm working on baking cookies. Which I aim to do every first day of school for him. And which my mom always did for us (at least, that I can remember!).

So, what traditions do/did you have for the first day of school in your house?

Donitab and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I take pictures of each kid separately with backpack and lunch then one mom selfie together in the car. Last year we did a waffle breakfast and a surprise in the car after school…trying to decide if I do it again this year.

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I take photos before school . . . sometimes in the afternoon if things go crazy in the morning. I usually cook a good breakfast a couple of mornings of the first week, but now that Daniel is 16, he often wants to skip breakfast as it takes him a good couple of hours to develop hunger and by then he's in school. I try to make him keep a granola or Kind bar with him. We don't have any special things for after school, although I bet Daniel would love to be greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies! Hmmmmm, might have to do that!

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I would drop them at school - as opposed to Dad doing it the rest of the year.
    Photos, special breakfast and a general day of celebration for me.

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I don't think we have any other than my husband trying to take photos on route.

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Let's see, usually we start off with coffee for me and then some yelling because we are out of a bedtime routine, followed by moaning, grumbling, quick photo taking, and throw in a little cussing...all mostly because I don't want to go back :giggle.
    Cookies never happen here because I'd have to do them the day before and that ain't happening on my last night before kids. We do usually get something special to eat out that day or do a Starbucks run on the way to school.
    I have one more week :groan I don't wanna go :hissy

Donitab and umyesh like this.
  7. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I agree with all the grumbling because it's so stinking early. My oldest has to leave for the bus at 6:55! We have Celebration Pancakes (frozen pancakes with Cool Whip and sprinkles) on the first day of school and on other special occasions. I also take pictures before the first day. I'm a preschool teacher, so most years my first day back at work for teacher work days/classroom set-up is my kids' first day of school.

bellbird likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha - love your honesty and it feels all too familiar to me for pretty much the whole first week back at school!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Apart from photos, not much different to other mornings and they usually aren't great photos because they're often grumpy - when DD was littler, she tried on uniform a few days before going back for a new school year and i'd take better photos 'for the scrapbook' then

10. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Absolutely the picture thing - after school we usually went to Sonic or Dairy Queen for ice cream. Randomly we would do the ice cream thing throughout the year - everyone needs random treats.

Ah, I miss those days….

umyesh likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Ever since my youngest grandson, Asher, went to Pre-K, I've made him an 8x10 sign to hold for his first day of school. Here's the one i made him for the 5th grade - which starts on August 10th.

Asher's-first-day-of-5th-grade.jpg

umyesh likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We homeschooled, but I always took "first day" photos. Of course, sometimes they were not the actual first day of school. And of course, they were usually silly because "siblings".

I just moved the baby into her college apartment this afternoon. She let me take "first day" photos!! She is a Junior this year - where does the time go?

13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Surprisingly, we don't have a lot of first day of school traditions. I suppose it had something to do with me needing to drive them back & forth and then working outside the home.

Now that I work from home & they will take a bus to their respective schools, maybe I will think up something to do?

I do always take a photo of them on the first day that I then collage together with their last day of school picture and scrap. I will also take photos of them getting on the bus (in a stealthy way for the big one) + their back to school/walk through nights since they are new schools for them.

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We homeschool and don't typically have a 1st day. We sort of ease into it & we do keep up some school during the summer (math, reading, music). But the homeschool group we are involved in will start in a couple of weeks and we all typically wear matching shirts and I take pics together with all of us with the signs I make for our group. I'm the director so it's nice having us all match on the first day so everyone knows who we are.

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's too early for school! :giggle We have until Sept. 7th. The only tradition we really have is that they boys know I am going to require a couple first day of school pictures before they walk to school.

16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

First day of school photos. When the two older GK were in elementary school, we'd go and take photos with the school sign a few days before school started, plus photos at home on the first day.

Youngest grandson (will be 16 in September/junior in high school) HATES to have his photo taken, so at some point I took to bribing him with a giant Hershey chocolate bar. I also make him a sign to hold ...

2018-2019 First Day of 8th Grade - Chase - LoRes.jpg

17. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I always take "first day of school" photos, but sometimes those are after school, depending upon time constraints. I have been making homemade chocolate chip muffins for the past 3 years or so, before that, when my oldest was in elementary school I made apple streusel-topped muffins for the first day, then at some point, we switched to letting each kid pick out their own favorite breakfast item for the first day. Mostly they wanted french toast sticks or dino oatmeal. This year only my youngest has gone back to school yet, she is 16 and a junior in high school. My older two are still living at home and going to local colleges- my daughter is 19 and a sophomore at a community college, and my son is 21 and a junior at the local university. They start back in a couple of weeks, and my daughter will be attending on campus for the first time as last year was all virtual. My son has had half of his classes virtually and half in-person, plus he works on campus at the student center help desk, so he knows his way around there pretty well. I hope I can get some photos of each of the older two on their first days this year!

18. Cherylndesigns

I have to be a bragging grandma. Here's a picture of my 10 year old gs, Asher, on his first day of school, holding his sign. My daughter said he gave her a little "attitude" about holding it this year - he's getting to be "that age". Haha He did it, but wasn't thrilled. I told her next year, to do it at home.

Asher-5th-Grade.jpg

19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Home and a bribe ... :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk