Something Random I learned

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jul 10, 2021.

1. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

shark? I wonder what they are going to do with that poor animal, the best that can happen is that a private collector buy it, and the worst that the shark ending being in a pan:thinking2

2. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

@gonewiththewind seems you had the things coming back together, so glad for you my dear friend!
    did you say your birthday is on August? mine too. I'm from 17 August, and you?

gonewiththewind likes this.
  3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

And the airport's original name was District of Columbia Airport, which is why it's code is DCA.

Baltimore Washington International (BWI) used to be Friendship Airport way back when. It's located near Baltimore, Maryland.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Ft Myers Florida's code is RSW. When it opened it was called Southwest Florida Regional Airport with the code of RSW being short for "Regional South-West".

The original name of the Columbus Ohio airport was Columbus Municipal Hangar which gives it its code of CMH. Dayton Ohio lucked out with getting DAY because that could have also worked for Daytona Beach (DAB). MCO is the code for Orlando which comes from the former McCoy Air Force Base which was at the location that Orlando airport is now located.

Interesting for sure!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thank you so much!

Mine is the 26th of August!

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Back in the day when I was traveling for business, I had to go to Kansas City. I didn't know that it was in two different states - Kansas and Missouri. I love these random facts.

bestcee likes this.
  7. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

This is the most embarrassing random fact I ever learned. And I was in college! I couldn’t believe what people were telling me and had to get an encyclopedia (remember those?) to check it out. Did y’all know that New England isn’t a state? Hmmm…… who knew? Apparently everyone but me. Shows how much attention I paid in US Geography.

bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

LOL ...

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I stopped in Florence and got gas. It was cheaper than the nearby towns. I'll have to watch for the water tower next time!

10. bestcee

It took me awhile to learn that there is a Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. Because they are connected, I thought it was just Kansas City in Missouri and never understood that.

11. bestcee

Nope, you are not alone! I see this mistake often on late night "ask the street people" and quiz shows. So, not an uncommon mistake.

Donitab likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I just learned, via a Forbes' article (though they site a CNN article, lol), that a Yale University and the Commonwealth Fund study found "that the U.S. would have experienced 279,000 additional deaths without the vaccine rollout up to the end of June 2021, around 46% more than the actual death toll, according to CNN. There would have also been 1.25 million additional hospitalizations" (emphasis mine). And just so it's clear, "The research compared current trends in cases, hospitalizations and deaths to a modeled trajectory of the situation if the country had administered no vaccines." IOW: the numbers weren't just pulled out of thin air.

Wow. I am in awe of not just medical science and the amazing people who have been working tirelessly their entire careers on the (previously assumed off-) chance that we may need a new type of vaccine to help stop a plague, but also the incredible ability of technology to speed up this process. And now we have both the research and the vaccines' positive outcomes/high efficacy to help us in the future if necessary. God gave us a brain: it was up to us to use it, and I'm glad some people used their brains on epidemiology/inoculation/virology research. (Heaven knows I couldn't have done any of it lol.) And I'm so thankful that almost 68% of us 18+ in the US have gotten at least one shot--another tidbit I recently learned.

13. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

@Eyeore- I want to hear more about the animal looting! What in the world?? Was the shark a tiny one? How does one steal a shark?

14. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

We visited a Safari Park recently and I learned that even though Hippo's spend most of their time in water they can't swim. I never realised that I always thought they could swim.

bestcee likes this.