Bits of Joy | Pad Patter 7.15

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jul 15, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I was making a list yesterday called Bits and Chunks of Joy. The purpose is to fill my day with something happy and joyful to me, instead of checking my email or phone screen again. So, I have 10-15 min, 30 min, and 60 min. I added things like take a walk, have a dance party, listen to a favorite song, and photo walk.

I didn't add any chores or "to-do" list items. My goal was to have a quick list I can give myself a pick me up during the day.

What would you add to your list? What small thing brings you joy?

bellbird, AJK, A-M and 2 others like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love this idea!
    read a chapter
    look through old photos/photo books/scrapbooks
    write a note or letter or poem
    coloring page
    I’ll be thinking of more!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    bellbird likes this.
  3. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Oh a dance party is a fantastic idea! I am going to steal that thanks Courtney, for when I need a pick up too! Although my Dr said no vigorous exercise so maybe it will be an 80s side to side shuffle dance party with a bit of gentle bobbing up and down :giggle.

My list would have to include reading a book (but that would take even my amazing powers of literary devouring longer than an hour so I would have to keep that for when I have a bigger time frame to fill ....
    Crotchet always makes me happy so that would definitely be on my list
    Walking along the beach front is a great pick me up
    Hugging which ever of the kids is walking by is the BEST quick and easy pick up and has to be top of the list (oh and hubby too :giggle) .... although Tasha doesn't live at home anymore so random hug grabs from her are not as readily available, I can still grab Bella when ever I like!

bellbird likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

bits of joy....top one would be talking to my grandmother.....I try and do that at least every couple of days. Next would be zone out for a bit and listen to music....I really enjoyed that when I was commuting for an hour each way by public transport so this is a great reminder to do more of it.

bellbird likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Looking up at the sky. When I took my walk today, I stopped and just looked up at the glorious blue sky plus I love listening to the birds sing.

bellbird, BevG and cfile like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love this!!
    Picking peppers and tomatoes off of my own plants
    Picking black raspberries in my yard
    Dance party for sure!
    Deadheading my flowers (it's very therapeutic for me)

Donitab and bellbird like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'd definitely pop reading into any of your time slots. It might be an article that you saved to read later or just your newest escape fiction. Reading always helps me, and I'm on a super big kick of reading right now.

For the hour time slot, taking out your art supplies and making something, anything. Olivia and I painted recently with my great niece and it was so relaxing just making backgrounds and seeing what the colors do together. I also highly recommend coloring for this as well!

For the shorter time slots, this would be a good way to watch YouTube videos without getting lost in a rabbit hole. Make sure you have a "to watch later" list and just pick two or three videos that fill your time slot and set a timer. You'll feel that you were able to veg out watching without being committed to a series or something.

Another one for any time slot would be to write in a journal so that you can write down not only what you are purposefully doing to bring joy into your life, but also to document all the little things that we can so easily overlook when life's weight is pressing on us.

Of course, reading scripture, meditation, and/or praying would also fit any of your time slots and the benefits (for me anyway) are immeasurable!

bellbird likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Mine would be to:
    • Hug my dogs
    • Read my book
    • Enjoy a good cup of coffee
    • Pick up my camera and photograph some everyday moments
    • Watch the birds in the yard

bellbird and cfile like this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

• reading a book
    • taking a walk with my hubby
    • going out even to the grocery with hubby.. since the pandemic started this became a joint venture and I look forward to it on Thursday mornings :)
    • Lunch date with hubby
    • talking to my BFF every Friday night
    • looking out the window watching the birds and rabbits in the backyard
    • taking a few photos of the flowers around the yard
    • watching a good movie
    • enjoying a nice cup of coffee

bellbird likes this.
  10. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Ok, so Dance PARTY is a good one. We love doing this, and I feel need to do it more often. Also NAPS...lol! Naps bring me joy!

Donitab and bellbird like this.
  11. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Taking the dog for a walk, reading, doodling, coloring pages, playing with stickers in my planner...

Sitting on the back porch when it's not hot

bellbird likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Read a chapter.
    Sit out on my porch for 15 minutes soaking up the sun and closing my eyes (usually fill it with praying). My house gets so cold (the way my hubby likes it) and I just like to sit out in the sun and get nice and hot. LOL!
    Take a walk around our neighborhood. It's the perfect 15 minute walk.
    Play a game with my kids just because. They love it when I suggest it.
    Work on a puzzle. I almost always have one out.
    Listen to a podcast while doing a chore.
    Cook/bake something just for fun.
    Walk around my yard and look at my flowers, animals and garden.

bellbird likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

This is really cool, Courtney!! Way to go!
    A few of mine:
    patio time!
    listening to my playlists
    spending a few minutes being grateful and saying "Good Morning King" to the Lord.
    cleaning off my work table in the studio- more inspiration comes when it is clean, lol!

bellbird likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Do some Bible-based art journaling using real media. I love cutting things out while thinking about things. I like making a mess too with paper and stamps. I have not tried paints yet, but maybe some day.

Playing Animal Crossing New Horizons - although I have been doing this for over a year now and the magic is starting to fade.

Bubble-bath and a good book or magazine.

bellbird likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it probably sounds weird but organising something, even something small, one drawer or one cupboard, so that later when i go back to that area for whatever reason, it's not overwhelming and adding to the normal stress, and i guess it's a control and order thing. it's been an ongoing project and it's not finished but for example, i don't hate putting away washing now because i know every shirt etc has a spot.

And as much as i'm a digi person, i still have a large stash of paper scrapping stuff for cards and we moved my craft cupboard and a bunch of things over the weekend to better accommodate the work from home and different online school space needs. It was a lot of work and i could have just shoved everything back in, but i went thru and organised stuff and actually holding bits of wood veneer and paper flowers (like those rolled roses and ones you'd push an old school brad/split pin thru), something about holding them, i don't know if it was the texture but going thru all those things like stamps and elements that i got into scrapping in the first place essentially to play with, that was a spark of joy (i don't get that with potato mashers, pasta claws and stuff when decluttering other areas where they are essential tools etc).
    SO i think for me anyway, if i need a bit of joy or some mojo, just going and looking thru my 1 'element bits' shoebox that i can find and grab easily now b/cos it's all together and labelled, i think that would help.

BevG likes this.
  16. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Great idea - I’m pretty good at being able to rest.
    On my list:
    Reading (always)
    Taking a nap
    Sitting on my front porch swing
    Prayer of thanksgiving
    I need to add:
    Looking at the scrapbooks
    Going through old pictures
    Making a card
    Listening to a fave song (I have dozens)
    Hmmmm….. I think I’ll write this down and keep adding to it!

17. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

On my list:
    Reading
    Pottering in my garden, dead heading flowers
    Taking a nap
    Listening to music
    Going for a walk