Catastrophe at Home!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by janedee, Jul 9, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sounds horrible, it's always hard to believe that the smallest of leaks can do so much damage! I hope you're insured & everything is covered!

janedee likes this.
  2. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to read this, what a horror, courage and hugs !

janedee likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

So sorry for your heartache - I can't even imagine the loss.

janedee likes this.
  4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Oh Jane I'm so very sorry to read this - what a mess .. I can believe you are still in a state of shock and disbelief! I hope you can return home earlier than planned...

janedee likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

oh my goodness, that is horrible. i can't imagine how you felt. especially after coming back from a getaway. my heart goes out to you ....

janedee likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm so sorry, Jane. What a heartbreaking and stressful situation. Sounds like pretty extensive damage. :( I hope all the repair work goes as smoothly and quickly as possible.

janedee likes this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm so sorry to hear that Jane. Glad to hear you have somewhere to stay during the long renovation. I hope that the reno goes smoothly and you'll have a beautiful home again at the end of it all.

janedee likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh, Jane! That's horrible! Hopefully they can get it fixed by October. I'm glad you have your cabin available to stay in. That's a small blessing!

janedee likes this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

So sorry. Water damage is the absolute worst. Glad you could save at least some of the important things. Wishing you a stress free renovation.

janedee likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

oh no. bless you.

janedee likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am so sorry this happened you you! How awful. I can only imagine the shock that was to come home to. :( I'm glad to see that you were able to salvage some of your photos and scrapbooks at least. I sure hope you have somewhere comfortable to go while your house is being put back together. October seems so far away!

janedee likes this.
  12. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Oh, no--I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. Water can do crazy amounts of damage, can't it? I hope you didn't lose too many irreplaceable things and that your insurance company and contractors are easy to work with. Will it create any problems for you to be out of town at your cabin for an extended period?

janedee likes this.
  13. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I can’t imagine how upsetting this would be and then having to find alternative living arrangements for at least three months. So sorry. Sending hugs.

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

So terrible! So glad you came home 3 days early! We've been through a similar experience, but the basement where it happened was not finished at least! You contacted insurance correct? The purifier might not be covered, but the water damage it caused may be!

janedee likes this.
  15. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Thanks so much everyone. I can't believe its been almost two weeks now since we discovered the damage. The restoration people have finished tearing out all the damaged material. The basement is gutted - down to the stud walls, while about half of the upstairs has been torn out. The restoration people are just completing the process of getting quotes to repair everything and submit it to the insurance company. So far it hasn't been a problem staying at the cabin but once the repairs get underway we may need to be around more.

KimJ and Karen like this.
  16. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

WOW. This is honestly a very real nightmare I have when we leave to go camping. We had a pipe connected to our utility sink in the garage burst away from the wall, but we were home at the time. I was in the laundry room and could hear a hissing sound, and when I opened the door there was water spraying everywhere. All I could think about was what could have happened if we had been away for the weekend and it did that. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this headache!!