your favorite | pad patter 7.13.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jul 13, 2021.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]

Tell me your favorite. Maybe it'll help me come up with an idea for dinner tonight... :giggle

umyesh likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

I loved my mom's fried chicken and my grandma's peas and potatoes.

3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

homemade soup....don't really mind what type to be honest but a warm bowl of nourishing goodness in the middle of winter is definitely welcomed.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

pineapple upside down cake in an iron skillet

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I don't remember my grandmas cooking anything but I loved (past tense because they're not as good any more haha) my mom's biscuits & gravy and chimichangas.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Both my grandmothers died before I came along. I did have a Step-Grandma but I do not remember anything special about her cooking and actually cannot remember eating at her home.
    My mother was great at baking biscuits/cookies. An actual meal she cooked that comes to mind would be Hi La Min which I cook at times these days. It is minced beef, cabbage, rice, carrots, curry powder etc. all boiled together.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My grandmother pickled all kinds of things and served them at most meals. Probably my favorite food of hers was cookies!! She always had a dozen or so in bags in the freezer, ready for us to take home and eat later.

My mom makes a great potato soup that came from my other grandmother (my dad's mom). It has German style rivels in it. I make it often.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

My grandmother made the best lemon meringue pie, all from scratch (her pastry skills were old-school: she knew how to turn out a pie crust that was light and flaky and melt-in-your-mouth delicious). Also, she used to make us these open-faced bacon and cheddar sandwiches, done under the broiler, and always done to perfection.

My mother's mashed potatoes were the best; and are now the stuff of cherished childhood food memories. To this day, a bowl of mashed, with butter melting into the spuds, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper, is my very idea of comfort food...

My dad used to make old-style Canadian baked beans, with molasses and maple syrup and bacon: he had a bean pot, which he had inherited from his mother, and he would cook the beans slowly, at low heat, all day.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Not really the right time of year, but my mom's vegetable soup and chili are the best!! One of my grandmothers died when I was 2 and the other when I was 15 and I don't remember much about her cooking.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I loved Grandma's chicken and dumplings! I've never had any as delicious as hers!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My maternal grandmother made the most amazing gumbo, fried cornbread, fried egg sandwiches, and fried okra.

My maternal grandmother made an incredible vegetable soup. She also taught me how to eat banana sandwiches (soft white bread spread with mayo and sprinkled with sugar and bananas sliced in half), and she taught me how to make scrambled eggs.

My mother is a fantastic cook. Her fried chicken is the best I've ever had. She makes homemade biscuits that are light and fluffy but have a bit of a crust to the outside. Her jams and jellies are beyond nummy. Really, I can't think of too much she's ever made that I thought wasn't very good.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Grandma's soup with meatballs and small dumplings ( chicken based,and simmered for hours ) . Grandma's Roast pork with crackling. and all her cakes ,bread and biscuits.... This is my maternal grandmother. My dad's mum could burn a cup of water...
    My mum's pot roasted beef and the best gravy anyone has ever tasted, my mums kale soup, my mum's Apple cake.
    God I am hungry

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My Granny's ham and pea soup, winter weather like ours today makes me miss that.

But yes, fried chicken sounds heavenly right now.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My grandpa's sister made the best chicken pot pie ever... at least according to my Dad. In all his years he never found any that compared to Irene's. Irene tried to teach other family members her recipe but none could ever duplicate hers, even Mom's sister who was a fantastic cook. Irene's daughter gave up trying and she is a decent cook having learned from her mother. My grandma was a good cook and passed that on to my aunt. My aunt was the oldest so she started learning to cook. Mom was 4 years younger so she did the housecleaning duties. Unfortunately Grandma didn't take the time to teach Mom some of her cooking tricks. Mom could cook but didn't enjoy it like Grandma and her sister did.

But Mom made an awesome pineapple upside down cake in the cast iron skillet.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

Soup yum! That reminds me of the yummy homemade chicken noodle soup my maternal grandma and mom made. Oh soooo good!

16. keepscrappin

I love the look of those but have never had one.... maybe someday.

17. keepscrappin

my mom made the best mashed potatoes and gravy too. I wish I would have been able to get my gravy as good as hers before she died.

18. keepscrappin

veggie soup reminds me of a casserole my mom used to make were she’d put some soup in a 9x13 pan and top it with canned biscuits and bake in the oven. It was a quick hot meal during the winter.

19. keepscrappin

my hubby raves about his grandma’s chicken and dumplings, but unfortunately she had died before we married and no one knew how to make them like she did.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

You’ve got some amazing cooks in the family... yum, yum, yum! I think the same about my mom. She was the best cook I know and I liked everything she made except green beans and chicken gizzards. And that’s only because I didn’t like those no matter who made them. :giggle

gonewiththewind likes this.