Something Random I learned

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jul 10, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I learned something this week that shocked me. I never knew that the Cincinnati airport, which is actually named for the city of Covington, is NOT located in Ohio at all!
    It's in Kentucky. Hebron, Kentucky.

I've never been to another airport to my knowledge that was in a different state than the airport name. Have you?

Have you learned anything random recently that shocked you? Or was interesting? Or anything really.

FarrahJobling and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I can tell you aren't from these parts! Along with that, did you know that the IRS Cincinnati office is also located in Kentucky? Specifically, Covington.

As for the Cincinnati airport, it isn't always cheaper to fly out of it directly instead of Dayton (which is the closest airport to me). In the past I have checked flights that have "connected" in Cincinnati and thought that maybe I could get a cheaper flight by driving to Cincinnati and flying out of there. Maybe saved $10 and it would cost more than that in gas to get there along with the time factor. So I stick with Dayton since the one time I flew out of Columbus, I had a horrible experience!

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Unfortunately I'm learning how many people don't want to or don't feel the need to wear (mandatory) masks here, not people with medical exceptions etc just people willing to cop the infringement & fine & it's been a sad shock & reflection on the community

Donitab, norton94, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I’ve never been to an airport like that.

I was recently shocked to learn that lightning bugs can be in my home state of Utah.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

While it’s not as bad here by any means I agree with you. It’s most noticeable on public transport here as that and planes are currently the only legally required time that we must wear masks. To me being masked is just common sense even without the fact that I am classified as medically vulnerable (not majorly but according to the government I am).

bestcee, bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Interesting info about the Cinci airport. Never knew that, although I don't live near Cinci anyway. lol

I just learned that while making caramel icing you can cook it too long and end up with candy caramel icing. My cake now has a hard shell!!!!!:crazy3:giggle ROFL

Donitab, BevG, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yesterday, I learned that while I had cancer and was in treatment and I thought I had mostly held it all together, I **DID NOT** have it all together.

I keep track of our household cash. My last entry for tracking it was June 20, 2020. I had a bunch of post-it notes, but nothing made sense, so after talking with Jay, we just called an end to that and started with the current total of cash and will move on from this point.

I got gift cards for my birthday in August 2020. I had $150 in gift cards STILL IN THE GREETING CARDS that I found yesterday. If you know me, I'm not a great one for saving money or gift cards, so the fact that they are 11 months old is crazy pants to me. Yet also exciting because it's "extra" money just for me to spend!

After realizing the two above circumstances, I realized that there were tons of other things that were out of control for me, someone who delights in organization. My linen closet/front closet was a disaster. Two weeks ago, Olivia helped me pull everything out and it's now organized, but for several months it was just a hot mess of stuff shoved everywhere. Since then, I've been re-organizing various areas, including my vanity and my art supplies.

There is still a ton of paperwork, memorabilia, birthday cards, etc., that are normally already filed away and/or in Smashbooks. It's something I'll have to peck away at over the coming months.

8. bestcee

Wait, they can be?!?!? I've never seen fireflies/ lightning bugs in Utah!

My mother in law (and me) loves that about here - all the fireflies nightly.

umyesh likes this.
  9. bestcee

Cincinnati has a direct flight to SLC since they are both Delta hubs. Indianapolis and Louisville force connections/layovers.

10. bestcee

Hard shell is better than burnt!

Also, that sounds yummy!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  11. bestcee

@gonewiththewind I think it sounds like you had the most important parts of life together. :grouphug I hope you continue feeling up to organizing if it makes you happy. :love

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

My case was a flight I was looking at went from Dayton to Cincinnati then to my destination. Thinking it would be cheaper just to fly directly from Cincinnati I checked out that cost. About $10 less which I would have spent in gas just getting there. Dayton is 55 minutes from me and Cincinnati is over 2 hours since I'd have to go through Cincinnati. $10 wasn't enough of a savings to do that. What I learned at that time (and it was a LONG time ago), there were local fees involved in the cost of the flights.

Isn't it great though that we have so many airports to choose from? I've got 3 within 90 minutes of me and another one about an hour 45 minutes away. Although Dayton has always been the one to get to the easiest. It is on the north side of Dayton so I don't have to deal with Dayton traffic at all. Columbus is on the east side of the city and traffic is horrible on the outer belt around the city. Fort Wayne isn't hard to get to but since it has the same airlines as Dayton, Dayton is the better choice for me.

bestcee likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So when you drive north on I-75 from Lexington, KY toward Cinci-nasty, you come to Florence. They used to have a water tower that said Florence Mall, but it was considered advertising. So they changed it to Florence Y'all. We lived in Lexington for 6 years before moving to NC - and that was over 30 years.

I learned last week how much I miss red-wing blackbirds. We have them in NC but I rarely see them. In Michigan, out in the farmland, they perch on the telephone/electrical wires on the side of the road. Seems about every 2 to 3 poles, I would see one. I also enjoyed seeing the horizon again -- so many, many trees in NC.

bestcee likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

Yes, it all seems like it's coming back together. I do love organizing!

bestcee and LynnG like this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm kind of glad to read that others make financial errors as well @gonewiththewind. During Winter I get a bonus $20 a week payment towards power but as my rent is all inclusive I don't necessarily need and would rather not get used to it as its only for 4 months I think. About two months ago I set up an extra payment online like I do every year to pay family back which was fine but then my financial situation changed due to circumstances outside of my control so I said I was going to cancel the extra payment back in mid May when things changed. Fast forward to the end of June when I was updating the balance owed and looking at my bank statements, I notice that there's two payments per week to them for the last 8 or 9 weeks. Honestly its an easy thing to miss as the initials on our account names are very similar, hers is B L and I'm J L. As soon as I figured out why I had less money than expected I sorted it out.Now its not a tonne of money and in the end its less money I owe so its all good....so glad the error was only to family though.

bestcee likes this.
  16. gonewiththewind

@littlekiwi I think if you have chronic pain or continual medical issues, it really takes a toll on the mind and results in errors in finances, not to mention other areas of life. I think both of us should take a deep breath and give ourselves a pat on the back for catching our errors!

17. HavaDrPepper

The water tower has its own wiki page. Florence Y'all Water Tower - Wikipedia

bestcee likes this.
  18. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I knew that!

What I didn't know was the meaning of the name of US Route 41, also known as the Tamiami Trail in Florida is not named for a native American. It is the combined names of Tampa and Miami, since the highway starts in Tampa and ends in Miami. I felt so dumb when I found that out.

bestcee and Donitab like this.
  19. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Reagan National/Washington DC airport is in Alexandria, Virginia, not the District. It is just across the Potomac from D.C.

bestcee likes this.
  20. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Well, today I learnt that among all the looting and rioting going on in my country, people stole snakes, monkeys and a shark from the zoo in Durban. A shark? The mind boggles.

Donitab likes this.