What is the dumbest way you have been injured? | Pad Patter 12 july 2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jul 12, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I am clumsy and injure myself in all sorts of dumb ways....I'm also a bit anemic and get huge bruises easily and half the time I have no idea where they came from. One of my more recent dumb injuries was from leaning over a table to reach something and I put my forearm down, right on top of a hot glue gun.....OUCH....

Donitab, umyesh and Iowan like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm the same way, I am clumsy and constantly injure myself, half the time not even knowing how. I bruise easily too. I often swing my arms and bang my hands into things. I thought I had done some damage last week when I swung my arm and bashed it into the porch railing. My thumb was screaming in pain, it swelled and turned all red. I don't even know why I swung my arm. There was no reason for it. I iced it off and on throughout the day and the knuckle joint was a dull ache the next 2-3 days. So thankfully, no sprain or worse. I can't even remember how many times I have sprained fingers and toes over the years...ugh.

FarrahJobling and Iowan like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The dumbest way I've been injured was when I fell down a handicap ramp when I was 21. Long story, but that's what started all my back problems. I had surgery within 3 months of falling. :cry I've fallen multiple times since then. The most recent fall was after I had my spinal cord stimulator put in. I fell down some steps at the front of our church that has thousands of people in attendance. All my falls have been embarrassing, but that one really got me.

I did recently manage to get boiling water on my stomach and I thought it was only minor, but it did end up blistering. It's still healing.

I don't know why I'm so clumsy, but I definitely wish I was more graceful and less accident prone!

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Put me in the many bruises and running into corners club.

My freshman year in college I cracked the joint bone in my little finger while having a pillow fight during finals week. For some reason I was holding the pillow with pinkie extended (like I was drinking tea - hee hee) and the other pillow forced it down away from my hand. Ouch!!

I once severely cut the top of my foot because I put my foot under the full trash bag I was taking out - and said bag had lose broken glass in it. I had to have stitches and I could not walk on it.

I also almost sliced the entire top of my thumb off, including the through the nail, when slicing French bread. I tried to pretend it was a flesh wound... but 4 stitches.

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

My poor pinky toes have taken the brunt of my clumsiness. I've lost the nail on each of them more than once. :cry

But the dumbest injury was in elementary school. We had some low bars on the school playground that I think used to be seesaw supports. We would do flips on/around the bars. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade I did a front flip with my hands positioned the wrong way and landed on my head, badly cutting my scalp. But that wasn't the dumbest part... I did the EXACT SAME THING the following year, this time requiring stitches. Why? :duh :giggle

6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

When I was 5, my elastic suspenders were caught in the couch so I tugged and tugged on them. (We’re talking active tug-of-war). The end, with the metal clasp, finally released, snapped up, and hit my chin. I still have the scar today. :stars:stars:stars

Donitab, LynnG and FarrahJobling like this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh gosh.. I too am in the clumsy club,.. I bruise easily too.. once I slipped on our wooden stairs going into the finished basement in my early 20's and the edge of the step caused a huge bruise across my whole bottom.. I even have a dent from it .. I just have to look at something and I can trip. Always getting a bruise from something.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Got a lesson on forgiveness :hugand anger- :hairpolwas furious with hubster and while trying to slam a door the antique iron (doorstop) fell over, I crashed my foot into it breaking a toe, fell to the floor and couldn't get up! :giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle

Donitab and FarrahJobling like this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Bruises come too easily.... walking into walls, tripping, hitting my knees, random other things I have no idea how or unable to remember hurting myself.

Actual injuring....
    • Jumped in between bushes playing hide and seek... got stuck in the bush, and the branch (slightly) impaled my butt. :giggle I was pry 13.
    • Playing in a barn as a kid.... jumping and playing in hay bales.... got rust in my eye. That was horrible - the eye doctor had to remove it, and put a patch on my eye... then proceeded to DRAW AN EYE ON IT... I was in Junior High. About 14.
    • Closing my own toes in the car door as I was closing it, in the summer with no shoes on. 3 broken toes. (Don't ask, no clue how I did it or didn't realize I wasn't all the way in). Pry around 15...
    • Slipped on wood chips near bike racks at school, fainted, and put my teeth through my lip. Tough one... needed plastic surgeon to fix up my cheek and lip (no teeth damage). Stupid wood chips. 15ish
    • Swimming, coming out from under the water, eyes closed, then proceeded to open my mouth... chipped my front tooth down to a nub on the cement. (There was too much chlorine, so I wasn't swimming with my eyes open... and thought the wall was further away). 16/17
    Numerous, numerous more... this list goes on through college... I've seemed to even out a bit now - more of a witness, lol! I don't know how I haven't broken a bone besides my toes.... (knock on wood)
    :backing

My son, on my birthday 7/3, needed a cast for a broken wrist... he fell over a fence. :groan

Iowan and FarrahJobling like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

The fact that I used bullets for my list cracks me up. :giggle And I could add at least 5 more!

Donitab, wvsandy, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Bruise easily and many over the years I have no idea how I got them since they were smaller, non-hurting ones.

Stupidest injury ever was me thinking I could learn to roller blade at the age of 39 (not athletic at all). I was fine as long as I stayed on my driveway or in my garage. But one night I decided to go across the street to see Beau, the neighbor's dog. Street blacktop was rough and we have no sidewalks. When I came back the roller blade hit where the driveway connected to the blacktop wrong and down I went, using my left hand to brace the fall. I landed on the cement of our driveway. When it still hurt the next morning I stopped at the doctor's office on my way to work for x-rays. Yep, it was broken. I was in a splint for 6 weeks and got it off on my 40th birthday. Only broken bone I've ever had in my 65 years. Vacation in Nashville was no fun a month later!

Edit to add that I sprained my left knee at the age of 13 when I was playing with a friend's little sister's hoppity-hop. I walked home and only found out it was sprained the next day. 2 years later I tore the cartilage in the same knee jumping on one of those bouncy things at the fair. In those days, there were no sides and I fell off of it on to the ground. Walked home on it and again found out how bad it was the next day. Only 2 times I've been on crutches and both were in July/August.

12. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I could write a novel here LOL but the stupidest has to be getting myself tangled in a clothes drying rack while trying to unfold it. Still don't know how I managed it. I had a split second to decide whether to fall backwards and probably smash my head on a table, or fall forward across my foot.
    :funfun

So I waved my hands about cartoon-style and fell forward, folding over my foot and broke all my toes in a line at their base. Didn't get them X-rayed for ages - not until a year or so later when I realised I had been walking around on a broken ankle for three months after falling down a pothole while running to take a photo. Same foot of course :eyeroll

I am a danger to myself.:duh

Donitab and FarrahJobling like this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have learned the hard way not to walk with my hands in my coat pockets... not once, but twice I have been walking in the winter, tripped, not been able to get my hands out of my coat pockets and had my knees and face take the worst of it... sigh.

14. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I got a taxi to work once, and when I got out of the car a drawstring from my hoody/jacket got trapped in the car door when I closed it. I realised straight away and banged on the door for the driver to wait but he pulled off straight away with me dragging behind until the cord snapped :crazy3:funfun:eek:

15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Oh my goodness! What a question and what a serious of lists.

I was wearing a tight dress (around 13) and tried to kick my leg up high, it pulled my other leg out from under me, landing on my bottom.
    My mom came to see what the noise was and I did it again to show her what happened. :groan

Donitab, Karen, LynnG and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My youngest DD was getting married in Florida and we lived in Michigan. I had planned that wedding to the inth degree and was so excited about it! I had everything but my shoes. My oldest DD and I decided to go to this fancy shoe store and find me the perfect pair of heels.

On the way in, I stumbled on a little pipe that was sticking up on the sidewalk (going into the store)! I twisted my ankle so badly and knew that I had broken something. Sure enough, my left foot was broken, right at and below my ankle and I wore a beautiful black "boot" (walking cast) to the wedding. I ended up taking my dress back (it was light green) and wearing all black (Palazzo pants) instead. Fortunately, we were using a black and white theme, with pale green accents, so I fit in. LOL

Donitab, LynnG and FarrahJobling like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

All I have to say is that y'all are definitely my sisters! I don't like that any of us get hurt, but boy, it does feel better to know I'm not the only accident prone one!

littlekiwi likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Like many, I could write a novel!

The few that come to mind are all from my lovely sense of balance that I inherited.....more like lack of sense of balance! I've clipped the side of a small flat pack bookcase and fell to the floor while totally breaking the bookcase as I tried to stop myself falling. I've fallen on my rear when I've rushed to the door to answer it, fallen on my rear because the pants I was wearing were too long and I tripped on vinyl flooring. I've tripped outside on a small rock or something and ended up on the ground, tripped over old tree roots that were under concrete on a footpath/sidewalk, misaimed on outside stairs that were wet and ended up down 14 stairs (that hasn't happened for a few years luckily but I worry everytime its been raining and I have to go out as I have 14 stairs that are outside), I've misaimed when getting on a escalator and been dragged down a moving escalator.....I now have a fear of going down them and will do anything to not go down one, I'm fine going up I think because I can see the moving escalator better.

19. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We have clover in our backyard and the bees love it. Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to walk through the clover barefoot and was stung right away. What was I thinking?!

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I think you win! Haha.

This made me LOL...the fact that you did it again to show your mom.

I like to run and I really want to be a trail runner...but both times I've attempted it I've gotten hurt.
    1st time I was running with my SIL and took a bad fall. My whole left leg was bleeding and badly bruised.
    Then just a couple of months ago I was doing a short trail run by myself (my hubby was waiting for me at the end) and I tripped and fell on my face. I brushed my face off making sure I wasn't bleeding and thought, "My hand sort of hurts." Look down and saw this. Thankfully it was just relocated. I guess I'm not meant to be a trail runner.

0430211340a.jpg

Attached Files:

jk703 likes this.