Only digi scrappers would understand

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jul 12, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have been downloading my data off backblaze for over a day now and barely made a dent in it. My internet speed has improved marginally so its quicker than it was before - still the top speed when downloading from Backblaze is only around 2.5MB/s. My actual download speed is closer to 20-40MB/s depending on time of day. I thought I had made headway late last night/overnight but I hadn't. One zip folder downloaded and unzipped fine while I was still awake yet the other two that I set up to work overnight failed and its taken me about 4 hours today to download and unzip one of those files. I turned off all the power saving bits I could find on Windows as well to ensure my laptop didn't go to sleep during the night. I know if I had the money I could get an ehd sent down with my data but due to it costing $189USD/nearly $300NZD its not an option even though I'll get a refund.

Anyone got any random suggestions I haven't thought of?

2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Hugs! I can only imagine the frustration you are feeling.

3. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I know that struggle. Last time I had to get files from Backblaze, I couldn't download them all in time.

I'd recommend prioritizing your files. For me, that was downloading photos first, then layouts and kits. I can always rescrap, but I need the original photos.

littlekiwi likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

@LivyBug yes I have prioritised what I needed first so got the essentials yesterday (for me that was my job application folder to start with as I had applications due that afternoon and all of this week - they’ve all been taken care of).

I have come to a couple of conclusions - roughly 10gb zips work best, they don’t seem to fail like at 90-98% when I was doing 20-40gb at a time and also doing it before 1pm and after 10pm seems to be best. I got 3 x 10gb zips done in about 2 hours last night by waiting until 10pm to start and another 2 this morning with no failures.

LivyBug likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I never had luck with zip downloads, unless it was a specific file I was downloading that I'd accidentally deleted or something. Getting the hard drive was my only option. Good luck getting it all downloaded!

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

unfortunately it’s just not a viable option - price is one part of it but just also after looking into it further I’d be looking at about 2-3 weeks to get it (not Backblaze’s fault but Covid means instead of 5-8 flights a week coming down to NZ there’s 2 and then my horrible luck with getting deliveries to be “delivered” it’s not worth it).

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  7. littlekiwi

By no means is it not working getting stuff downloaded…..it’s just taking forever!

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm sorry! That's so frustrating.

9. littlekiwi

The biggest issue now is trying to get my acdsee backup downloaded....its 25gb just for the one file! Tempted to retag potentially as I could get a fair way in the 12-24 hours it will likely take to download (if it in fact completes the download at all)

10. littlekiwi

FYI: If anyone else struggles with getting Backblaze to download data through your web browser, install the Backblaze Downloader and do it through there, its heaps faster and more reliable in my experience.

bestcee, Memaw2Wm and Donitab like this.
  11. littlekiwi

Well after about 6 1/2 days my stuff is all off the cloud - I had to give up some files because they were just too big to try and download but I am ok with that as I probably got 95-98% of my back up again

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi So glad you were able to get most of what you needed!

13. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Could someone with a faster/more reliable internet connection download those files to a USB drive for you? Glad you were able to retrieve most of the files though.

bestcee likes this.