Catastrophe at Home!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by janedee, Jul 9, 2021.

1. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We came home from our cabin three days early last week (smoky skies due to forest fires) to discover a major flood at our house! The water purifier had split, probably only a day or so after we left, so it had been spraying water for a few days. We couldn't believe the amount of damage one tiny crack could do! The temperature had been 40-45c for a few days and it was like walking into a steam bath when we came in the door. The hardwood flooring had all split, lifted and warped so parts of it were standing vertically in the floor. Our granddaughter's downstairs bedroom was an inch deep in water. Our finished walkout basement is about 80% destroyed and the upstairs about 50%. We've been told that it will be October at the earliest that we'll be able to get back into our house. :badmoodHubby and I spent last weekend packing up photos, scrapbooks, artwork, etc. everything sentimental that hasn't been ruined. Then the restoration people arrived on Monday to rip everything out. The basement is now down to the stud walls. I'm still in a state of shock and disbelief! I'm thankful, however, that we did come home three days early, I can't imagine how much worse it might have been.

littlekiwi likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

OMG! Hope you can get everything cleaned up and repaired. I too would be super grateful to have come home early as well given that disaster.

janedee likes this.
  3. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I'm so very sorry to read this, :crythank goodness you came home when you did. Sending much love and hugs, I hope things can be sorted sooner than first thought :heartlub

janedee likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

How sad and your adjectives, shock and disbelief probably sum up this disaster perfectly. I’m so sorry you have to go through this. Good luck in your reconstruction.

janedee likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

oh no! water damage is the worst... unfortunately, i know from experience! i hope they can get it remediated and you can get back in ASAP.

janedee likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Sorry for your unwanted surprise. Glad that no one was in danger, and that you still have precious family treasures!

janedee likes this.
  7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Oh Dear Jane, I feel your pain. I hope you get back into your home sooner that stated.

janedee likes this.
  8. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry! :( I'm sure October can't come soon enough. I hope you can find peace during this sad, frustrating time.

janedee likes this.
  9. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Noooooooooo! I’m so so sorry! I’m glad you were able to catch it three days early, though.

janedee likes this.
  10. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I can't even imagine what that must have been like to walk into :faint2 Hope you have a nice place to stay, but there is nothing like home is there? :-(

janedee likes this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am so sorry to hear this.. keeping you and your family in my prayers. What a horror. Just glad you are all ok.

janedee likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh no!!! I am so so sorry!! I so hope you can get everything remedied quickly. Sending lots of love and big hugs!!

janedee likes this.
  13. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I really hate to hear of this. My daughter went through a similar water leak and it was 6 months before they got back in the house. Prayers for comfort and patience for you both.

janedee likes this.
  14. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no! I'm so sorry that this happened! Good thing you caught it when you did. I hope you have a nice place to stay while you wait for the repairs.

janedee likes this.
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Oh no, that's terrible!! I'm so sorry to hear this!!! Ugh. Big hugs!

janedee likes this.
  16. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Oh man, thats awful! Such a frustrating end tou your lovely time away at your cabin :(

janedee likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! What a mess. :( Sending you ((HUGS)) and praying that things get restored quickly. Do you have a place to stay or are you going to be at your cabin while the house is being restored?

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh no!!! That is horrible. Hoping it goes by quickly!

janedee likes this.
  19. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Thanks so much everyone. We’re very lucky that we have the cabin to stay in over the summer as we live in a tourist town and finding accommodation around here in the summer is almost impossible. Friends are very kindly stepping in to help out with a place to stay when we have to come to town meet with contractors.

wvsandy and bestcee like this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh Jane, that's terrible! We had a flood when we lived in Michigan - we had to replace our hardwood flooring and the water went down into the basement, too. The basement was finished and two rooms got totally destroyed. It's horrible! You just can't believe the damage water can do! I lost boxes and boxes of pictures among a lot of other things. I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing this!

wvsandy and janedee like this.