Setting up a new laptop

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jul 8, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

With getting a new hard drive I end up with a new copy of Windows as well which means starting from scratch.

I have a full Backblaze back up (yay!) but am overwhelmed with what to pull down off it.

Also I am almost certain apart from the CD for Photoshop Elements I have no idea where any of my license numbers are.

How would you fix this mess? I know it’s my fault because I’ve probably put all the paperwork etc in a “safe place” years ago.

2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Decide what software's you still want to use. If you are anything like me,some stuff you never use anymore. Of the stuff you do use, if you can not find your registration numbers. Write to the company,and give them all the details you remember. They should help you.

cfile likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

Well there’s only a few things to find now

Photoshop Elements - Serial number is on my online account
    Norton Antivirus - possibly same deal
    MS Office - will have to sort some other free compatible software I think as I only had it while I was studying
    Font Manager - I can’t remember the name of the one I used but I’d just need to download it again.

But I have no idea about ACDSee - I’ll search through my emails to see what I can find otherwise I’m not sure what I’ll do. Also super stressed that I might have to redo my tagging. I have embedded the tags but I know for sure my backup wasn’t super current….think maybe 3 weeks out as I try and do it at least monthly or after I’ve done a tonne of tagging.

4. littlekiwi

Well I can not find anything to show that I bought ACDSee and because it’s so old it’s not linked to the ACDSee account either.

What does everyone else use for tagging their supplies? I’m not against jumping ship if I need to….possibly to PS CC and Lightroom or Bridge if that works

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

have you tried contacting ACDSee tech support?

6. littlekiwi

Not yet as I can’t find any email that refers to the fact I bought it myself years back.

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

if you have the installation file though they will help you with the installation key. Otherwise they might offer you a discount.

8. littlekiwi

Unless it’s on the backup then I won’t have it.

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

While of course I hope you sort out ACDSee, I'll use this chance to reiterate why I like tagging via file metadata. It stays with the file, which means I can switch computers or even OS and still have my tags. Downside is that I can't tag PNGs, but since I don't tag individual elements, that doesn't matter to me. (I tag previews.) Did you embed tags in the metadata? If so, then it shouldn't be too tough for you to keep going along that route.

10. littlekiwi

@Tree City After my disaster a few months ago when I lost all my tagging I made sure when I redid it that my tagging was embedded. It’s just super strange that I’ve got no record of buying it, nor is it showing up in my account on ACDSee website…..I get all their promotional emails though!

Tree City likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

How do you add your tags to the previews? Are you just editing the properties of the previews and manually typing in some tags?

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

When I just reinstalled Windows in February after installing a new SSD hard drive, I started with the following things:

Photoshop (had my CS5 CD still)
    Office - for Word and Excel (had an OLD CD still)
    my unzip program (winrar)
    added all my favorite fonts back in
    added all my PS actions and styles back in
    Calibre (my ebook manager)
    Overdrive (to download ebooks and audiobooks free from my library)
    Adobe DC for viewing .pdf files

I think that's pretty much it.

Good luck with the install. It's such a pain to get a new computer all set back up, but I always find it's better to just get it all done at first so you don't get stuck needing stuff later.

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yes. Actually, if I type "C," Windows pops up all the C tags I've created ("Cal," "Christmas," "covid," "crafts"). So it doesn't take much time. For those of you reading this and wondering how it's done: I just right-click on the preview, select Properties, click the Details tab, and add my tags. I do the same thing with my photos--sometimes I even add a little info in the Comments section if I want to remember certain details or if I have an idea for journaling. It isn't LONG, but it's a little info/context for anyone else who views the photo. Or rather, the photo's Properties. :giggle So after I add tags to the Folder image in a kit's folder (or in a paper pack's folder, etc), I copy/paste it into a PREVIEWS folder. I rename the Folder image "Kit Name Designer's initials." For example, the PREVIEWS image for "July is for Getting Away," the new collection by Little Butterfly Wings and Studio Basic Designs, is titled "July is for Getting Away LBW SBD" and I tagged it Vacation, Travel, AJ [stands for "Art Journaling"], Summer.

Karen, bestcee and umyesh like this.
  14. littlekiwi

@Karen I agree, setting up a new computer is a bit of a pain but worth it in the end. Luckily the repair place installed Windows and have done all the windows updates as well which helps immensely.

I actually am working to somewhat of a deadline (am spending the day today getting set up while family is at work - decided that I’d use Sunday as birthday celebrations rather than
    Saturday when I’m on my own for 8-9 hours) so the sooner I at least am online and have word processing abilities the better - I have job applications due all throughout the next week with the first one due on Monday.

Karen likes this.
  15. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Good luck with the set up! I’m sure I’ll be referring back to this thread someday!