Happy Father's Day | Pad Patter 6.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 20, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Happy Father's Day to all our Pad Dads :)
    It's a pretty low key day around here. We helped my daughter-in-law get moved in to her new house while my son is away doing Army things and we are all worn out o_O. Tomorrow is my youngest's 16th birthday and all he wants to do is go see the National D-Day Memorial which is about 2 1/2 hours away, so we are resting up for that as well. My dad passed away 9 years ago yesterday, right around Father's Day, so it's a bit of a tough weekend for me anyway. Much love to those of you who also may not feel like celebrating :heartlub:heartlub

Do you all have anything special planned for the dads in your life today?

If you aren't feeling Father's Day, or if you need any ideas, it's also:
    National Vanilla Milkshake Day
    National Ice Cream Soda Day
    and
    Hike with a Geek Day :giggle

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

5 years ago Father's Day I was at the funeral home visitation for my father who had passed earlier that week. Today (the 20th) is the actual anniversary of his funeral service/burial. Rough weekend for me ever since.

As for what I'm doing today, I'm going through really old photos and seeing what has been scanned and what hasn't. I'm scanning those that might have been scanned in low quality 25 years ago and renaming the photos with the year if known. I had a lot of photos that were scanned in the pspimage format that don't show up in Picasa so I decided yesterday (when I was looking for specific photos) that I need to get them all converted to jpg. So I'm walking down memory lane and finding some gems. I've already made one cousin happy since I found a photo of her mom and my mom when my mom was a little girl. Her mom was my mom's aunt. Definitely a multi-day process... started it yesterday and no way I'll be finished today!

Walking down memory lane always makes me feel closer to those I miss the most.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

I totally get it. My dad's visitation was actually on my son's 7th birthday (the 21st), there was no way around it. But I have really been grateful to have his birthday at this time because it gives us all something to celebrate! My FIL passed on July 3, so it's been a way to brighten up an otherwise pretty sad week or so.
    I really need to get to mom's and start scanning some of her photos. I've been saying that forever and just haven't made time for it!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

@IntenseMagic Even though Dad passed on Tuesday evening, it was 6 days before we could have the funeral. He had to be brought to Ohio from NC and that didn't happen until Thursday because of prep work to be done in NC. The funeral home down there drove him all the way here, an 11 hour trip. Then Martha couldn't get here until Saturday so the earliest we could have visitation was Sunday with funeral on Monday. Even if we could have done visitation on Saturday, the funeral would have been on Monday. Around here they don't do funerals on Sunday.

After visitation my cousin invited us to his house and we had a big old party with the siblings of Dad's and other family members that were here for the funeral. In fact, when this cousin's Dad passed, we had a big old party the night before the funeral and Dad was right in the middle of it. Those 2 were very close, like twins. They were 15 months apart. So I'm sure both Mike and Dad were looking down on us celebrating their lives because a lot of stories about the 2 of them were shared that night, if you know what I mean ;)

5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

We don't have Father's Day here Down Under in Australia until the first Sunday in September.

That "National Icecream Soda Day" sounds good. I used to like those when I was a child but after drinking one I would sometimes feel a little sick in the stomach.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

All of the grandkids are with their dads this weekend (it's my sister & me) but then my nephew switched around his schedule and was able to have lunch with us before going to his dad's house. Us adults had lunch at my sister's & BIL's house, and then my mom, sister, and I went to an antique place about 45 minutes away.

Father's Day is always weird for me as my dad & I are not especially close and there is some pain/bittersweet feeling surrounding my biological father who passed away a long time ago so this is always a not-comfortable weekend for me. My grandfather, who is the only adult male I've ever been close to, passed away a couple years ago so that makes it harder, too.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Days celebrating all kinds of people and events are so difficult, especially when we've lost someone. Sometimes, like @LeeAndra said, there just isn't a good relationship and it makes the day so painful. @IntenseMagic @HavaDrPepper and LeeAndra, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers this evening, along with any other TLP members who have suffered today.

I'm still blessed to have my father, and one of my sisters and me took him out to eat at McGuire's Irish Pub and gave him his gift. Then in the evening, me and the kiddos took Jay to Culver's for a low-key dinner and custard, followed by a little bit of shopping. Today, it was just relaxing around the house, and Jay went for a run (which is his fun thing to do).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My heart goes out to you all balancing loss and celebrations. I have that same relationship with Christmas, so I understand.
    My weekend was quiet. 2/3 here, DS1 &GF in the UK, thank heavens for video chat capabilities.
    DS2 & GF here with DD. Great bbq for lunch and home made apple cake with crumble topping. Afternoon sleep made it so much more relaxing. A good day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I took my Dad out to lunch on Thursday to celebrate Father's Day. Number three sister went over to his house on Sunday to help him hook up his computer. Number four sister is in Hawaii with her family, not sure what number two sister did, if anything.

I got a nice text message from my granddaughter wishing me a Happy Father's Day since I raised her ... granted her parents were around, but I had custody and parented her.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, I have the same problem at Christmas time. Mom died on the 26th and was in the hospital on Christmas Day.

11. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

It was an unusual Father's Day for us. My husband is still in Arizona because his mom fell and broke her hip a few days before he was supposed to fly home. So our FD celebration was an afternoon Zoom meeting with family. He took himself out for a nice dinner.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Most of the family is out of town, so it was just 4 of us. I went boating with my DD and GS, then we came home to hubby's homecooked dinner. We laughed about him cooking his own Father's Day dinner. He said he had a great (quiet) day. He got lots of texts, which he enjoyed and a new baseball cap, which he also loved and a couple of coffee mugs (funny ones).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Our whole family got together (cousins, my mom and dad, aunts and uncles) and went fishing and then had a fish fry. What's funny is that my hubby doesn't really like fishing but he does like to see the joy on the kids' faces when they catch something.

My heart goes out to you who have a hard time on these days!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Our Father's Day was pretty low key. My Dad has been dealing with some chronic back pain, so he was sleeping most of the day and we didn't want to wake him up because it's been really hard for him to sleep lately. He woke up around 3:00 in the afternoon, so went over to visit with him for a few hours then.

My poor hubby spent the day sleeping in a Benadryl fog because he's battling a nasty case of poison ivy and was itching himself to death all night long and hadn't slept well. Not a great Father's Day for him, but at least it was the weekend so he could catch up on his sleep. My oldest son actually went out and bought him some Oreos with his own money, so that was really sweet of him and made my hubby's day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I called my dad and it was the usual 10 second phone call, lol. That’s just him, not a big talker at all.

My heart broke for my son though. He booked a tee time for early morning with his dad and was taking him out for breakfast. He made arrangements to go in to work a bit late and off he went, quite happy, looking forward to time with his dad.
    Apparently golf went well but things took a turn at breakfast. Dad called stepmom and told her to come join them, uncle showed up and promptly lit a cigarette blowing smoke in Braeden’s face as he’s trying to eat and then asked Braeden for a ride in to town. Braeden said couldn’t leave fast enough. Poor kid was so upset and was looking forward to going to work to put his morning behind him. His dad has disappointed him so much through out the years but he always has that hope.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

Hope they are both feeling better soon!

Karen likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

I'm so sorry for your son. I know all too well what that disappointment looks like. My older two have been through similar with their dad.

jaye likes this.
  18. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Friday night I baked a cake for Dad (and I wanted cake too haha).

This on Saturday ^ plus we gave him our cards and gifts. I gave him a wrapped canvas of a layout I'd made of us.

Then Sunday I went with my friend to pick up a chair I found on super sale for her! Everything Father's Day related was before the actual day haha.

Much love to those who struggle with this day. <3

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

It’s so hard. My guy is 23 but it never stops hurting when you have your hopes up. He came home in a much better mood as work was filled with nice people and good weather (works at a marina).