June '21 Monthly Muse Week 3

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Dalis, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

kintsugi.jpg
    (Image taken from: AsianTrend.org)​

This month both Lisa and Vivi have taken you through a journey of healing and repair. We have journaled (either written or in art form) about healing our mind and world making it better than before.

For week #3 this is our prompt:
    "Connect your past with your now with clear lines of reference, in a beautiful striking copper or gold/silver."

I can't wait to read/see your connections past and present in your beautiful pages.

Challenge Requirements:

1. For the Art Muse, you may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone! So, have fun and see where Kintsugi takes you.

2. You can use any products in The Lily Pad store or retired products from current Lily Pad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, 28 JUNE 2021 and post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, up to four total, regardless of the week posted in the month of June earns you one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win.

This is a very open-ended challenge. You may decide to journal with words or with images. I simple ask that you reflect upon the prompt and let Kintsugi guide you in your creative endeavors.

2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Intriguing :huh:yupand puzzling- :thinking2let's see what develops!:thumbsups

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Dalis likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thanks for the challenge- it was good to express being on the "other side" of the past!
    [​IMG]

Nemla likes this.
  4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I really enjoyed doing this. Dont seem to be able to "shake of " Rebeccas Art dolls though LOL
    [​IMG]

5. Dalis

Was the challenge too hard or confusing?

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I found it confusing Dalis.

Dalis likes this.
  7. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

My layout also used Rebecca's people to show then to now. Also used Kristen's road sparkled up by Paula's metallic papers.
    [​IMG]

AJK and Nemla like this.
  8. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I didn't find this confusing, but I found it difficult. and that's what a challenge should be IMO.
    Mine is admittedly jarring, for want of a better word, but it really is my past vs my present and I wanted to show the discord.
    You can't get here from there. So the golden thread is thin and fragile.
    [​IMG]

AJK and Nemla like this.
  9. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I don't think it was confusing, but it was difficult. And that's OK, especially for art journaling. I want to look inside and reflect on the meaning.

Nemla and Dalis like this.
  10. Dalis

Thanks Angela, some ways it could be interpreted can be to:

• link pictures or symbols of things from your past (it could be long ago past or short term past) with things that are working now that maybe you make it work. (An example for me would be: I tried learning to run a bike when little and failed at it. Mind you I only tried once w/ my big brother and it was a fiasco. Tried again after getting married, but it wasn't until Bianca was learning that I decided to give it a try again with success!)
    • It could be something that happened long time ago, that finally you have healed from it but it has taken you the present to realize how.
    • Remember these are challenges to get you started.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. Dalis

I have started mine a few times and just can't seem to finish it, so I delete it.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I haven't done week 2 yet. I'm stumped on both of them. I'm dealing with issues that probably can't be fixed - I know, I know - "everything can be fixed". I don't think these can be.

AJK likes this.
  13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@Cherylndesigns @Angela Toucan @Dalis obviously I am not as good at writing prompts as I thought I was :headscratch :-). I am sorry for any confusion.
    It was not meant to be "deep therapy" ,it was meant to look at our world as it is and scrap about it in a different way than usual.
    Hints: from my past to my present can mean where you were born and where you live now. Or in the 1960's flower-power was in,and now you see only jeans and hoodies,and short hair cuts....
    Or .maybe your Grandma was alive in your childhood,and you loved her,and now you are a grand ma....mother ....Aunt what ever...your self.
    Or you hated school and now you love it....or still hate it.
    Or write / use symbols about climate change...... or covid...... or how jet travel made our world smaller....
    Hope this helps.....
    For week 2 if you are still stuck,just look at our world as it is, wish for 1Thing that is different,and go from there.
    Come on Girls, you are amazing scrappers..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

15. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I hear ya! This month is difficult for many I believe. It is sure difficult for me! We are asking folks to dig into brokenness. Many of us don't want to keep dwelling on the bad things that happened in the past - or are still current in our lives. Its is very painful. But here I think we can learn from Kintsugi - the philosophy behind it. Sometimes it starts with giving yourself permission to heal.

Kintsugi is an art form to repair ceramics and in that repair the ceramic becomes more valuable and stronger. Gold is an interesting metal. I don't associate it with being "strong" the way titanium or steal is. It is very flexible - soft and malleable. In that, is its strength. Gold can be stretched and pounded into many shapes - think about gold leaf. By filling in the broken pieces of ceramic with gold lacquer we are adding a bit of flexibility to an otherwise brittle object. By filling in the broken pieces with bits of precious metal, we acknowledge and highlight the brokenness of the original piece. As a philosophy, Kintsugi honors the whole - we don't throw away something because it broke. We make amends and repair. We chose to bond the broken pieces together with a bit of light - a bit of gold.

To all, no one is obligated to share their past (or current) struggles in such a public online forum with, well, strangers. One way of changing up the challenge is to create a prayer page or words of affirmation page. Think on healing. Think on those rays of golden light filling up the broken places.

AJK and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. Dalis

no reason to apologize and remember we all take what we read in different ways. I love your prompts because they are different!

17. Dalis

I simplified my ideas to just this one.

[​IMG]

18. Cherylndesigns

I've definitely learned a lot from Kintsugi, Lisa. I've been working on a page since last night and have changed it several times. It's just me - I've been sick for 2 1/2 weeks and am just getting back on my feet. Your last comment really spoke to me - I went in and changed a lot of my black threads to gold and it does give the illusion of light. Hopefully, I'm on the right track with my page. I really want to do at least one more page - a personal goal, if you will. I really need to work through my issues. I might not ever post my page, but I SO believe in using Art Journaling for healing. Thank you all for your hard work putting this month's challenges together and all of your support.

AJK likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

I love this, Dalis! I'm definitely a Night Thinker - that's why I've always had sleep disorder.

Dalis likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

You've been wonderful, Vivi!! I can only speak personally, but I've been ill for 2 1/2 weeks and definitely not myself. Everything's a struggle and things I can normally work through still seems like mountains. You've been GREAT!!!!!