World Bicycle Day | Pad Patter 6.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 3, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is World Bicycle Day. So, a few quick questions for you!

1) Do you own a bike for yourself?
    2) Do you ride it?
    3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike?

I realized that I've never scrapped about me learning to ride. I have my kid though. I'm not a big bike rider, though I do own one. I didn't own a bike for most of my childhood, so while I know how to ride, I'm very out of practice.

What about you? What's your bicycle experience?

michelepixels likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1) Not any more.
    2) Nope since I don't have one
    3) Nope.

I did have bikes as a child and young adult. Even had a cute little banana seat bike in the 60's. Then I graduated to a bike with 1 speed... whatever I did! With graduation money I got in 1974, I bought a 3 speed bike. The bike stayed here when I lived in Toledo but after I moved back I would ride it some. Dad had put hooks in the ceiling to hold the 3 bikes we had and they lived up there for years. Probably 15 years ago, I gave 2 of the bikes to some friends of my parents that were going to take them to their cottage in northern Michigan. They didn't need to be good, just usable and with new tires they were. So I only had the 3 speed left. It was still living on the hooks and hadn't been used in probably 20 or 25 years so I finally got rid of it in the last 5 years.

These days, I would probably be more comfortable on a tricycle like I used to see all over the retirement parks my parents stayed at in the 90's. Although I see more older people on golf carts around town these days....

bestcee likes this.
  3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Spyder bike!!! I spent an entire summer (1968) working in my father's law office to earn the $24.97 I needed to buy my own spyder bike. Oh how I loved that bike.

1) Do you own a bike for yourself? Not any more
    2) Do you ride it? n /a
    3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike? nope

I wonder if there are any photos of me learning to ride ... my most memorable "learning to ride" moment was that Dad was helping me balance by using the sash of my dress to hold me steady, the sash ripped off and I crashed into a telephone pole. Last time I rode a bike was close to 20 years ago when I hopped on my grandson's bike to prove that I still could ride a bike after 20+ years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    bestcee likes this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Well, shoot ... the image didn't attach ...

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I looked to see if I even had an image of me on a bike. I found 1 from Apr 1962 and 2 from Mar 1963 (loved those dates on the edges) and the training wheels are on the bike in all 3 pictures. Evidently it took me awhile to feel confident enough to have them taken off. The only other picture of a bike is of me hugging my dog with the bike in the background after we moved to this house so probably 1966 or 1967 by the size of the dog. Alas, none of them are the banana bike.

6. Memaw2Wm

Okay ... looks like I got it this time ...

"A wheelie bike, also called a dragster, muscle bike, high-riser, spyder bike or banana bike, is a type of stylized children's bicycle designed in the 1960s to resemble a chopper motorcycle and characterized by ape hanger handlebars, a banana seat with sissy bar, and small (16-to-20-inch (410 to 510 mm)) wheels.[1][2][3] Notable examples include the Schwinn Sting-Ray and Krate lines and the Raleigh Chopper line. Other notable manufacturers and retailers that offered models include AMF, CCM, Columbia, Huffy, Iverson, J. C. Penney, Malvern Star, Monark, Murray, Ross, Sears, and Vindec."

Mine was a Huffy from Toys R Us.

Spyder bike.JPG

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  7. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

1) Do you own a bike for yourself? Yes--a vintage Schwinn Hollywood
    [​IMG]
    2) Do you ride it? Very rarely
    3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike? Perhaps? Yes! Slightly embarrassing but hey that's life?

[​IMG]
    Credits: Ride Skate Roll by mle Card and Faith True, Photo Actions by My Four Hens Photography, Font: Pea Jenna

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  8. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I think I have ridden a bike twice since I got my drivers licence many moons ago.
    I thought about getting a bike a few years ago but with the dog I prefer walking.

bestcee likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1) Do you own a bike for yourself? Not anymore.
    2) Do you ride it? Nope, gave up recklessness! LOL
    3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike? No

I loved riding my bike, and I had a couple of different ones throughout the years. Riding a bike is altogether too painful for my back these days, but I can still remember how it felt to have my legs pumping and the wind rushing by me. I loved to go very fast!

bestcee likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1) Do you own a bike for yourself? Yes, a really nice reddish-purple mountain bike I bought around 1998. :tu

2) Do you ride it? I did when I first bought it, in Glendale, CA. But since we moved to Virginia in 2000 and I became a mom in 2001, I've ridden it approximately 5 times. :oops:

3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike? This bike? Or my first bike ever? There exists zero photos of my first little bicycle with removable training wheels and I have zero recollection of learning to ride a bike. There is a photo of me with what was probably my second bike, a green one with a banana seat and long, high handle bars which was a hand-me-down from my sister, and I think I have included it in a scrapbook page at some point, but it wasn't about my biking experience . . . so thank you for the scrapping idea! :yourock My neighborhood best friend and I rode bikes A LOT. In my teen years I had a blue Schwinn 10 speed. I think it's still in my parents' garage in San Diego (we had 3 of the same bike my family of 5 shared and I was the one who used one the most. I don't think there are any photos of them though. Maybe I can photograph it when I'm there in a couple weeks! Thanks again for the idea!)

I partly blame the area I live for my lack of bike-riding. I could ride in my immediate neighborhood and the adjacent one (about a 2 mile trip around their perimeters) but if I left these two neigborhoods, it would be extremely dangerous. The narrow rural winding roads have no edge. Not safe for walking either, no sidewalks. I hate that, especially since a shopping/restaurant area sprung up a mile away, a decade ago. But I haven't been upset about not using my bike. I love walking and do lots of that, in my neighborhood and in local parks and walkable areas. :run <just a little slower than that emoticon :lol2 Since storage isn't an issue for me in this house, I keep holding on to my bike. Someday when I get to downsize, I'll see if keeping the bike is reasonable/desirable. The tires are currently flat but otherwise it's still in excellent condition having been almost exclusively just sitting inside my garage the last 2 decades.

bestcee likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1) Do you own a bike for yourself? I think there is one in my crawlspace...but I may have given it away when we moved here? All of my kids have bikes which fill up our garage!
    2) Do you ride it? No - although if we lived on flatter ground I would probably ride it. We live on a mount so I take my kids up to the park to ride their bikes all the time.
    3) Have you ever scrapped about learning to ride your bike? I'm pretty sure I've scrapped pics of all of my kids learning to ride. None about me though. Although I very vividly remember learning to ride when I was six and that moment when I knew I was riding with nobody helping me. It was awesome.

12. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

1. I used to but no longer own a bike :(
    2. No
    3. No

bestcee likes this.
  13. bestcee

We have this too! One family nearby uses a golf cart for school drop off and going to the park to play. It's weird to look out and suddenly see a golf cart. But super cool!

14. bestcee

That's awesome!

LivyBug likes this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I grew up in Denmark , so yes we are practically born on a bike.
    I do own a bike, but traffic in Malta is Madness, and we have very few bicycle lanes, so no sadly I do not use it any more.
    How funny yes I used a photo of me on my bike in this week.
    [​IMG]

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I did learn how to ride a bike as a youngster but no photographic evidence I don't think. Wasn't one of my fave things to do thanks to my shocking balance, bad eyesight and short legs so I probably didn't last long