How do you deal with frizzy hair?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, May 28, 2021.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

All my life I've had stick-straight hair to deal with, no matter the weather and won't hold a curl for anything. Since half my hair has turned grey it's been frizzing on me in the humidity, and now that Summer's here my hair is driving me nuts. It does have a slight wave to it, but unless I've put gel on it the wave doesn't look good - and I hate the look and feel of gelled hair.

Sooo..... Is there anything that you can put on it to help keep the slight wave intact? I'd love to know what products y'all use to deal with the frizzies. Thank you!!!!

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh boy - gray hair is a different thing all together. My hair is super curly and thankfully, my gray has kept the curl. I just went to the hairdresser for the first time in years and she gave me a product for making my curls softer. My dd just used it when she was straightening her hair. It's professional, but it's by Redken and it's called Curvaceous. Alta probably sells it. I can recommend that for softer curls.

AJK and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm with @Cherylndesigns - gray hair behaves so differently than normal hair. It's part of the reason why I'm still getting highlights and lowlights. The chemical process calms those hairs down! LOL

I use a straightener on my hair because mine is crazy - half straight, half wavy. When I did have curly hair, I used a product called Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier. You can pick it up at Target and I think Walmart has it as well in their salon area. I only used a tiny little bit and I found that it worked best if I had my hands wet before I dispensed it and massaged it through my hair.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

QuiltyMom and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Most of the curl products I use to control frizz are gels, so they won't help you much. I don't know if this trick works for waves or just curls, but I keep a spray bottle of water with a little conditioner mixed in. When my hair is frizzy I spray it (until it's slightly damp all over, not just-showered-drippy) and then re-scrunch the curls.

AJK, wvsandy and QuiltyMom like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh good luck! watered down conditioner spray like Rachel said sometimes helps in humidity here but i'm not sure how it'd go particularly re: grey

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

7. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I have kinky curly hair. I got a brazillian blowout for the first time a month or so ago and it is great. I have done keratin treatments in the past, but with thinning hair, it is very flat. Also I use Living Proof Anti friz products and I have heard that Perfect 10 is good as well.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

@sharonb Thanks! I’ll check out those products. I have a friend who’s the same as you - she gets the Brazilian blowouts and loves them.

9. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I don't know if it will work for everyone...my son has curly hair and if he lets it go it can get super frizzy. He uses a product called As I Am Coconut Cowash. It has been amazing and my daughter even started using it and said it has made her hair super soft. I'll be keeping an eye out on this to see other good suggestions! :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. QuiltyMom

11. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I swear by Alterna's Caviar CC 10-in-1 cream. Not sure about all 10 of its supposed benefits, but it definitely helps control frizz (and makes hair feel softer and smoother, I guess). In the US, you can get it at Sephora or Ulta. It's not cheap; but a little goes a long way... and it really does help with the frizzies, without making your hair feel gelled or greasy or sticky, without making you feel like you're wearing a helmet head.

cc cream.jpg

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I too have curly hair and a LOT of gray. My hairdresser said that the frizzies I've been dealing with are because of the gray hairs. She said that coloring the hair definitely helps tame the frizzies and I most certainly agree because after I get my roots done, the frizzies are so much better for a few weeks. She even send me home with my own coloring kit so I can do my own roots every three weeks or so. I also use Moroccan Argan oil on my wet hair before my Tousle Me Softly mousse. I know you don't want the mousse part, but maybe just the oil part would help tame some of the frizzies. I have a LOT of hair though, so my hair can handle the oil and the extra weight it might add. I am definitely going to bookmark this thread though because I see lots of products that I'd like to try here!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a layout that shows how much hair I have. :giggle

[​IMG]

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

In summer I gave up and always had it up in a clip or a ponytail under a ball cap :)

jenn mccabe and QuiltyMom like this.
  14. QuiltyMom

I just saw my hairdresser today and she laughed when I asked her how to deal with it (she’s a good friend) and then pointed to her hair. Unfortunately, I’ve got thin and very fine hair, so she said I need to use just a dab of things, and the best way is to just try things. Guess I’ve a great list here to start with!

Well, there’s always that!!! :giggle

Karen likes this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

This thread is GREAT!!! I've only recently experienced my hair being curly after washing. Was very straight for most of my life unless I curled it. Now I can let it air dry except for a few front face framing strands! But I too have the frizzes- and now I have some good things to test out!!! Thanks, EVERYBODY, especially @QuiltyMom !

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use shine drops. I bought them a few years ago (ok, I just realized it was 10 years ago!), and they still work. Just a little bit makes my hair heavy enough not to frizz. I like it because it gives a little shine without looking greasy. My hair mostly frizzes in humidity.
    That said, it's not grey hair so I don't know if it acts different on that? And too much makes your hair look greasy.

They are similar to the silk drops at Sally Beauty Supply, and about the same price ($10) I paid a decade ago.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, I must be the anomaly. My grey hair is no different than it used to be. It doesn't frizz at all. And, it behaves the same as it always did!

I do use a shampoo for grey hair at least once a week to keep it from looking yellow. Jhirmack Silver Brightening found at Wal-Mart. I did switch to another shampoo/conditioner in the last 9 months to try to help with the damaged ends of my hair. A little more pricey but so far I really like it and have noticed that my hair is not breaking on the ends as much. I took the quiz at Olaplex.com to determine which of their products I would need then found a trial size set on Amazon so that I didn't pay a lot in case I didn't like it. I've now bought regular size bottles.

And, since I've retired I have found that I don't have to wash my hair every day especially this last year. My hair used to be so greasy that I'd have to wash it daily but now I can actually wait and do it every 3 days but I usually do it every other day. And, I usually let it dry on its own instead of using a hair dryer. Honestly, my hair is probably in better shape now that it was before. I no longer perm. I no longer color. I no longer use a hair dryer or curling iron. In other words, I'm no longer doing damaging stuff to my hair.

QuiltyMom and Memaw2Wm like this.
  18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My hair is grey, curly and it frizzes, but my hair has always frizzed in the humidity. My solution has always been to simply jerk it back into a ponytail. I will say that it has really thinned over the last two decades, and keeping it contained in a ponytail causes breakage which annoys me.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Try a scrunchie (fabric covering the elastic) that will help with the breakage a LOT! :agree

20. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yep, I only use scrunchies.

Karen likes this.