Do you Hide Food? | Pad Patter 5.27

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 27, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

In my house, I have a candy drawer. It's not always a drawer, sometimes it's a jar. But, I have it to hide those treats that I want to eat, especially chocolate. When I was a kid, I had one to hide my treats from my brothers. They always stole my candy and gum.

Now, I have it to hide my treats from my husband! And sometimes my son. Somehow, he always wants the treat I bought for myself, not the ones he picked out for himself. Ugh.

So, do you hide food in your home from others? Or do others hide food from you?

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yes, I hide my treats. And my housemates (DD and GK) hide their treats from each other. If drives me BATTY when I buy treats for my housemates and myself, then they eat theirs, then mine. It's an ongoing battle ...

Edited to add that I don't eat anything I bought esp. for another person, so my housemates don't have to hide stuff from me. :)

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

The only child in me hates to share.
    If it's in the kitchen cupboard it's fair game. My undies drawer is off limits. That's where the choccie stash gets hidden. For sure, I do this.

cfile likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't really buy many sweets, so I don't hide those. I don't really even want treats unless they are in the house, so the quicker someone else eats them all the better lol. Sometimes I will hide like a soda or small bag of chips if I want to make sure that no one will drink or eat the last one.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I don't really hide anything, but I do buy myself dark chocolate bars. I am about the only one that likes them so they know it is mine.

Now growing up, there were 6 kids and not a whole lot of money for treats, etc. My mom always complained of "large rats" in her kitchen (i.e. us). So her rule was - if is un-opened it is off-limits. Previously, she would buy chocolate chips to make cookies and we would eat all the chips before she had a chance to make the cookies - hence the rule. She would also hide things she bought to make specific deserts so we would not eat them.

There is even a story of my sister eating a dog treat one time because she thought my mom had hidden beef jerky on top of the fridge. It pays to read the labels closely.

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I used to hide candy all the time, but I don't eat it anymore. I used to crave Twix candy bars. DH would buy me a box of them and I'd hide them from the kids. LOL WHY is it that whatever I'm craving - everybody else is, too??? For instance, right now, my favorite snack is the "old" Life Cereal. Where does the family head now? You guessed it - the Life Cereal. I eat it dry - no milk and they love it, too. :crazy3

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Advantage of living alone... no need to hide treats!

Memaw2Wm and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I don't hide food, but I do hide small tools and household implements (the kitchen scissors; the good tape measure; the Scotch tape that is still in its proper dispenser [well, yeah, because I hid it from those who would get it all messed up, and no longer dispensing properly!...]).

My mother wouldn't hide food, but she would deliberately buy the cookies/ice cream/etc. that were not our absolute favs, in order to make the treats last longer. We wanted Chips Ahoy, but we (me and my 3 sisters and our dad) would go through a bag of Chips Ahoy in a day or so, or perhaps even in one sitting! So she'd buy Dad's oatmeal cookies instead, or perhaps a bag of gingersnaps. We still liked it, we still ate it, but at a more moderate, and more economical, pace :yup

9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

LOL!! I must confess that I may hide chocolate from my fiance. He eats them all and I like to eat a little every day...if I don't hide, I get no chocolate...

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It's not hidden, but I have snacks for myself on my shelf behind my desk.
    Everyone in my family has different favorites that everyone knows so that helps.

11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My kids know that I have a special cabinet that is off limits. LOL! My kids who have jobs and are making their own money buy their own snacks and have their own stashes that siblings (or mom) are not allowed to eat. And sometimes they come home with good stuff that tempts me! But I stick to my rule - if you buy it with your own money nobody else can eat it. My oldest daughter will sometimes even buy ice cream or other refrigerated goodies and write her name all over them just to make sure nobody eats them.

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I used to. My DD could smell chocolate and would find it no matter where it was hidden. She once demolished a pound box of my See’s Candy in one sitting, the box that I had hidden between my sweaters in my closet.

Now with all of my dietary restrictions my DS & DH know not to eat my stuff, mostly since it typically costs 2-3 times more than something similar that they can eat. Besides, I always make sure there’s something for them, too.

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have a shelf in a cabinet that is mine and if I put some snacks in there, it is off limits to my hubs. I don't eat a lot of lunk food so I don't put much in there (dog treats end up on my shelf) but every now and again i'll buy some chips, popcorn or pretzels and I don't share. Hubs always has tons of junk food so he has a couple of shelves for his snacks.

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This thread reminds me of my mom who would buy flavored cream chocolates and the little white bag from Kresge's would be in her nightstand beside her bed. I would sneak in every now and then and take 1-2 chocolates. My faves were the orange and cherry flavored ones.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We usually only have candies or chocolates in the house around Christmas. I will reserve some and put them in a hiding place (can't say where because @LivyBug will see this - bwahahahaha!). Honestly, I'm the one who would be eating the chocolates anyway . . . so perhaps my family has hiding places from me! LOL

LivyBug likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i used to hide any specially bought things in higher cabinets but DS is about the same height as me now and DD has been taller for years so there's no point now -kinda off topic, but i would love to have one of those secret bookshelves that hide a hidden room or passage or something, i feel like that's the extent i need to go to to really hide anything around here!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My daughter doesn't like any of the same treats that I do but my son would eat only junk food (and ten times a day) if I let him so the treats that he especially likes get hidden so they can be doled out in more appropriate and less frequent amounts. :giggle

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I used to now we have individual baskets in the pantry, so we all know NOT to take or mix stuff within the baskets. It started so hubby knew what was safe for him to eat, he has celiac and can't eat Gluten.

19. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

If I buy treats like candy for myself, I will put it in one of my desk drawers. What I really have to hide is my mini cinnamon raisin bagels. I offer to buy my husband his own bag of bagels whatever flavor he likes, but he always says no. If I leave my bag of bagels in the pantry, he will inevitably end up sneaking some of mine which ticks me off. So I take my bagels up to my office and hide them there.

20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have hidden chocolates in boxes that kids won't open for eating... an old rice box or old taco box.

Now that they are older, I can say don't eat/finish my such and such... and usually it's not eaten.... occasionally, I have to stash it in the back so it's not opened. If there are multiple, everyone can have some, but you'd better not finish off a container of my favorite cookies! They know to leave me some and not just one. :giggle