Graduation? | Pad Patter 24 May 2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, May 24, 2021.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

The school year doesn't end here until 21st July. No graduations this year. TJ left Secondary school last year. Next year she will leave 6th form college, and my son will leave Secondary school.

Also we don't call leaving school "graduation" in the UK. Graduation is for leaving University with a degree.

2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Nope. We're all done with graduations here for a while. Who knows when my DD will actually graduate from college, but that's not a big thing.

You mentioned that your son wasn't having a middle school ceremony. They cancelled my DD's middle school "promotion" ceremony because too many students were considering it a "graduation" and never went on to high school. The kids were bummed because they found out just a week before it was to happen, too.

3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yes, in October. I don't think I've seen any of my classmates since I graduated, so I'm hoping the reunion will be fun.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I kinda think that sounds better. Not because of Covid or anything, just because graduation ceremonies can be so boring! I'd rather be at home where I can laugh and use the restroom. :whistle

We had 8th grade promotion walk. Our rural school made a big deal about it because so many of the kids didn't go on to finish high school, and they tried to encourage it. All my schools have had high school graduation.

Memaw2Wm and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. bestcee

I graduated this year (virtually). DH graduated with his Master's degree (virtually). No other graduations.

I'll be honest, I really don't get the elementary - middle school and middle school - high school graduations. We had an grade 8th promotion walk, not a graduation ceremony or anything. We walked down the main hall and all the other kids (pre-k to grade 7) cheered for us. It took like 5 minutes.

Angela Toucan and rach3975 like this.
  6. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

My youngest is graduating from 6th grade. Since so much of their last year of elementary was virtual, I'm glad they get a few rites of passage like an end of year party and a graduation. Usually the entire grade graduates together, but this year they're doing one class at a time with 2 guests per student. I was expecting it to be outside, but they surprised me by deciding to do it in the cafeteria like usual. Either way is fine with us. I'm guessing they'll enforce 3 feet distancing and I know masks are required.

Congratulations! What degree did you get?

7. bestcee

A University Studies Bachelors with a minor in web design, a Cisco Switching Pro Certification and a couple other certificates. Totally a mishmash, but it works for me.

rach3975 and Memaw2Wm like this.
  8. LynnG

LynnG Designer

No grads here - as others have said, most graduations happen at the end of the year. This happened at the end of last year - thank goodness no Covid here in NZ means she could walk. I still can't get over it! She's not neurotypical and we had to fight the school to get her to attend fulltime, with an aide, when she was little.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/all-done-with-school.454573/

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

With my two older GK they had an evening elementary school promotion ceremony (the principal made it VERY clear that it wasn't a graduation ceremony), then a party in the cafeteria for the kids, and the parents were in the library/gym/courtyard. With Chase they had a "clap" parade through the school, then a party in the gym during school hours. I got to attend b/c I helped with refreshments. The kids had a great time ... food, music, and "photo booth" with lots of fun props.

High school graduation for the older GK was at Constitution Hall in DC. When I graduated the ceremony was on the football field, if it rained each family had two tickets to get into the gym. :)

bestcee likes this.
  10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My kids' older brother and cousin are both graduating this year so they went to a grad party last weekend and will be going to another one next weekend.

Technically, my daughter is "graduating" from elementary school to middle school but we are not having a party or to-do for it. Her teacher is sending a certificate in the mail and I will probably take her photo and make a layout about it but otherwise, she doesn't want any big fuss.

LynnG likes this.