Graduation? | Pad Patter 24 May 2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, May 24, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

It's our last week of school! YAY!!!

Anyone celebrating any sort of graduation this month? My son is "graduating" from Middle School...but there's no actual celebration. He's cool with that....We're getting him a laptop for High School, so that's good....and we'll probably do a dinner or maybe ice cream for his friends.

I'm so over COVID.

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I have two nieces that graduated from college this month ... Grace graduated virtually from the University of Chicago, while her sister, Nell graduated from UVA ... in person, but only had two tickets to the ceremony.

My 15 y.o. grandson and his SAHM flunked virtual school this year, so he'll be repeating all but one of his 10th grade courses next year. We're suppose to be back in school 5 days a week in the fall, so hopefully his teachers can crack the whip and he'll pass next year, since his mom isn't willing/able to stay on top of him.

3. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I have a high school graduate. She gets to walk across a stage this Friday at our city's basketball arena. That's more than I ever expected.

Memaw2Wm and Karen like this.
  4. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

No graduations in my circle this year. :) But yesterday was six years since I graduated high school...VERY weird. lol. So glad to be out of the education system during COVID.

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

No graduations for us...just a few of my kiddos at school. They just announced Thursday that our graduation (June 3) will be wide open, no limits on the crowds or anything. It was supposed to be like 30% capacity, but that's all out the window. The school board basically told the public to all come out to graduation and celebrate.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

No graduations for our family this year. Daniel won't graduate for another two years. Our school system sent out a message as well @IntenseMagic that it would be completely open for graduation ceremonies.

@Memaw2Wm My son is 15 (about to turn 16) and is a sophomore as well. We struggled as he finished his freshman year and all throughout this year. His last semester of 9th grade was virtual and he did not do well. He returned to school for his 10th grade year, but he's still struggled. I've chatted with other parents who are having issues with their boys around this age. Just know that you're not alone!

7. IntenseMagic

Not sure how I feel about the open graduation as our community has not been cautious about the pandemic since it started. At least I'm vaccinated because I'm sure faculty will be required to attend. I'm happy that the kids get some normalcy, but...

And our babies will graduate the same year :cry:cry

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. LynnZant

That's good and bad, right? We are limited to seven tickets in pods all socially distanced which had to be pre-purchased through SeatGeek. By the time we logged on, there were only pods of 2 left, so the three of us can't even sit together. Graduation is four days before Ohio opens up everything, so the kids have to wear masks still.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

We missed out on celebrating my 5th and 8th graders' graduations last year. The last time we had a fifth grader, her brother's 8th grade recognition event was just before her clap-out, and he got to do both. It was a fun day for both of them and I was looking forward to her doing it with her younger brother last year. (The middle and elementary schools are on either side of the high school football field, so it is purposely scheduled for families to do both.)

Anyway, we have a high school senior whose last in-school day was last Thursday and graduation festivities are the first weekend in June. Graduation is outside, in the stadium, and currently limited to two tickets per graduate, plus two for inside to watch it streaming live. The outdoor capacity limits will expire on June 1 (four days before graduation) so many parents are hoping that more tickets become available so that siblings and grandparents can attend as well. I haven't submitted my attendees yet because I don't know; I suppose it will be my husband and I at school, and my mom and the kids can watch it on TV at home (which seems better than in the gym with everybody else.)

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm also in Ohio and can't even find a graduation date for the schools here in town. I did find that they are having commencement practice on the 27th and the last day of school is the 28th but nothing is listed for the actual commencement. In my poking around, I did find photos from prom... not a mask to be seen although it appears to be held totally outside (good thing there was decent weather that day). Our commencements are always outside unless weather is bad, usually at the football field. Plenty of room for people to spread out if they limit the number of tickets. Heck when I graduated 47 years ago we were only allowed 4 tickets per graduate and it was at the football field even back then.

Friday night I took the dog for a walk and there was a lot of cars at this one house. They had a DJ and a tent in their front yard and probably close to 50 people there. Found out the son graduated from the local career center (aka joint vocational school associated with our school district) on May 7th. So it was probably a graduation party for him.

As for me, no graduations that I can foresee in my future. Last neighbor graduated last year so no party and all cousins kids have graduated. I'm not going to start in on the cousin's grandkids (had one of them last year... she got a card).

12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

No graduations here.... in Australia most graduations happen at the end of the year.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

Yes, for sure it is good and bad. I really am happy that the kids get to experience some normalcy and that families will all get to be there to see them, but at the same time it's a little worrisome. We were supposed to be at 30% capacity and each graduate got 7 tickets. I was not really thrilled with the remark from the school board member encouraging everyone in town to come out for graduation, whether they have a child graduating or not. He was kind of spinning it to be some big town party.

14. LynnZant

Yikes, @IntenseMagic ! Does graduation at least require masks? My daughter was looking forward to grad band and playing at the ceremony; however, the facility doesn't allow live music yet. Just another thing missing from her senior year. :( At least she got some things for which we are thankful.

15. IntenseMagic

I'm sorry she won't get to play :( I hate that kids are missing so many things they'll not get to experience again. I'm not sure on the masks. They have not really addressed them at all yet, just that it would be completely open with no distancing requirements.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

No graduation here but earlier this month it was 5 years since my undergraduate degree graduation

Angela Toucan and LivyBug like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have one more year to go before my oldest graduates high school, so this is the year of trying to do all of the house projects so we are ready for graduation next year. :giggle We do have three friends with graduates, so we'll have a few parties to attend for them which is a whole lot less stress. Lol.

18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yep, not alone. I had custody of his older siblings (24 and 26) and had to kick their butts constantly to get them across the high school finish line. Unfortunately I chose not to take custody of Chase when he was born, and now he and his mom like to point out that I'm not in charge of him ... fine, but his mother needs to do her job and get him through school.

Oh, I'll be celebrating the anniversary of my 50th high school graduation June 12th ... my how the years have flown!

19. gonewiththewind

Yes, I feel the same way about our community. I am so thankful for vaccination.

I didn't realize our babies were the same age! We will have pity parties over the next two years!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. gonewiththewind

Yes, the years fly by! Are y'all having a reunion?