Potluck | Pad Patter 5.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, May 23, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We are having a big end of the year picnic on our last day of work, June 4th. They are providing steak, chicken, and pulled pork as our entrees, and we have to bring a side or dessert. Typically I will make Strawberry Pretzel Salad or Chocolate Eclair Dessert, but I'm not really feeling either one of those things, so I'm looking for ideas!!

Do you have a go-to potluck dish that you bring or that is always a big hit??

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Can't beat a traditional potato salad. I also have a recipe for a raw broccoli salad with cranberries, bacon, and sunflower seeds. It has a vinaigrette dressing.

Cupcakes! Or cookies travel well.

IntenseMagic and Nemla like this.
  3. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My go-to was always jambalaya made with Zatarans. I used shrimp, chicken, & chicken or turkey sausage (for my Hindu coworker). I'd cook it in my biggest pot & bring it in the slow-cooker.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

If you have a great recipe for macaroni and cheese, that's always a hit.

Donitab and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

my go-to bring-a-plate is a fruit platter, it's desserty and side-dishy/snacky to me so covers both bases and is pretty safe & *bonus* no cooking involved! if i want to be fancier, i'll half choc-dip a few punnets of strawberries and add a container of some half-choc dipped preztels & one of marshmallows to the tray

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Coleslaw or Potato salad I usually bring or perhaps an appetizer ?? We made stuffed Cocktail tomatoes last year for a pot luck :) Have fun and enjoy!

IntenseMagic and Nemla like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My go to potluck dish is called bean bake. It's baked bean, kidney beans, butter beans, ground beef (I use turkey), bacon, LOTS of sugar ( :giggle ), ketchup, mustard, little vinegar and than it's baked. I've learned that in a pinch I can make it the day before, throw it in a covered dish and nuke it for 15 minutes and it's ready to go in a hurry. I love that! It's always a huge hit! Let me know if you want the recipe. I pretty much know it by heart because I get asked for the recipe every single time I take it somewhere new. I always say I happy to share the recipe, but the rule is you can't bring it to a potluck that I'm coming to because it's MY go to dish. Lol!

meganmecrazy and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I agree with Christa and Bev - Coleslaw and potato salad are always winners , or a great big mixed bowl of Tuna and green salad, with oil /vinegar and feta dressing. But you are going to have so much meat, so better not mix tuna into it... Dessert is always fruit ( watermelon if they are ripe ) or Ice cream ( not home made)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

It's been 15 years since I went to a potluck! LOL In the past I would usually bring a pasta salad. I have a chicken/macaroni seashells/cheese/celery/olives/Miracle Whip one I make. Last time though, I just bought a pasta salad from the Target deli section and put it in a bigger container so it would be easier to serve. (It was really packed tight in the original container, so it was a lot more than it looked like.) Afterwards, as the host's family was working their way through the leftovers, she emailed out to the group wanting the recipe for this amazing salad. I told her she would have to ask Target! :lol

IntenseMagic and Memaw2Wm like this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Deviled eggs are my usual potluck go to. People tend to love 'em, but hate to make 'em.

I my go to "salad" is Ambrosia, it's sweet so more of a dessert salad.

Ambrosia
    Ingredients:

1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
    1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 small jar maraschino cherries, drained
    2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 (8-ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
    Directions:
    Using a rubber spatula, gently fold together all ingredients in a large serving bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

The couple potlucks I've done, I took homemade baked mac n cheese (way more trouble than it's worth IMO) and frozen mini corn dogs :giggle

I'd definitely opt for something easy like brownies, cookies, or cupcakes next time...homemade or store-bought. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

I do like me some potato salad, and the broccoli salad sounds wonderful as well. Anything with a vinaigrette dressing works for me!!

13. IntenseMagic

That sounds really yummy and super unique!!

14. IntenseMagic

My work wife signed up for the mac & cheese before I could get to it lol

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

Yes, fruit is always a great option!! And yes to the no cooking! I am not sure I have it in me lol

16. IntenseMagic

Oooh those stuffed tomatoes sound really yummy! Are they very time consuming? I need to be able to do it the night before, after work :)

17. IntenseMagic

I definitely need something I can do the night before and either take cold or warm up quickly. I already get up at 5, I'm not doing earlier just to cook ahahahaha. Sounds yummy, I'd love the recipe! Wouldn't a TLP potluck be fun...as much as we talk about food! I promise not to make your recipe :)

Karen likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Ooh coleslaw!! That's one I hadn't thought of! The salad sounds really good, too!

19. IntenseMagic

I've done pasta salad a few times, and I am notorious for hitting up the Walmart deli on my way to work :giggle It just depends on how much time I've had the day before!

KimJ likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

Love, love, love Ambrosia! Thanks so much for the recipe! This will probably be on my short list for sure if someone else hasn't already signed up for it :)

Memaw2Wm likes this.