Two screens

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 12, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Anyone use a laptop with dual screens? Been considering this as an option but whether its even possible I have no idea. This is my current set up - HP Notebook. What do I need to consider? I'm mainly wanting it for using ACDSee when scrapping but I could see other non scrapping uses for it to for me.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Many years ago I used my monitor to connect to my laptop because my laptop had the right connection port for that monitor (DVI).

Looking at your laptop specs, it should be no problem if you get/have a monitor with a HDMI connection. Not all is lost if you don't because there are cords that will adapt (HDMI to DVI adapter). Google is your friend as well. Lots of info out there about it.

When I had mine, I used the larger screen to scrap on and had Picasa open on the laptop screen.

3. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I've done this some. I actually hooked up my laptop to my TV at one point lol. If you have the right connections and cords (HDMI etc.) you should be good to go! In your settings, you can choose whether to mirror the laptop, make two screens, etc.

For a while I used a monitor and kept my laptop shut. Just have to change your sleep settings so that the laptop can be shut while still being "awake."

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've used dual monitors for a long time and really love the ease it gives me when scrapping. I first began doing it when I had a laptop, and continue doing it now that I have a desktop. In fact, I'd love to have a third monitor. :) I don't remember the exact steps to set it up, but it's definitely an option for you with your laptop.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have a two monitor set up for work - mine involves a docking station and two monitors (instead of my laptop and one monitor) so it's probably more convoluted than you're looking to do, but two monitors is awesome. Once I'm back to work full time, I plan to purchase a similar set up for personal use at home.

bestcee likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

Thanks all, its still a bit of a pipe dream at the moment as I don't know whether I'll have a specific desk area wherever I end up moving to (whenever that is) so until then I'm just thinking about it.

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep. I started using a second monitor with my laptop. I actually bought a tv, so sometimes the color was a little off, but it worked pretty good for scrapping. I bought the tv because it was cheaper and I figured if I didn't like it, I still had a tv. I liked it because it connected easily.

Your specs show HDMI port. You can easily set up a second screen with that connection. And it's awesome to have supplies open at the same time as scrapping.

8. littlekiwi

@bestcee having supplies open was one of the main reasons I want to do it but realised it would actually work really well for online resources while doing assignments for grad school as well so hopefully it will be something I can do in the future as the monitors don’t look too expensive from what I can see....will come down to space I think, no dedicated desk space will more than likely mean no monitor I’d say.

bestcee likes this.
  9. bestcee

I loved it for school! It was so much easier to follow an assignment when I could work on one screen, and gave the assignment on the other. Nick has done the same with his Master's: rubric and sources in one screen and write on the other.
    With my laptop, it only took a few minutes to get the screen out and setup when my space was the kitchen table. Just something to consider.

littlekiwi likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Two screens are great for many reasons. When I worked I did a lot of spreadsheet work and could have multiple spreadsheets open at the same time. There was one duty I had that I had 3 open at the same time with one going across the 2 monitors.

I still use a lot of spreadsheets even now for my personal finances and will have more than 1 open at a time since it is easy with 2 screens. And, right now I'm on TLP on one screen while watching a YouTube live on the other screen!

11. littlekiwi

Thanks @bestcee, I will look into it more. For some reason I thought it would only work if I had a permanent set up. I have one now but the chances of having a dedicated space in the future is not high which I’m ok with.

bestcee likes this.
  12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I agree with everyone else. I use two external monitors with my work laptop (also an HP). I connect one with an HDMI and for the other I have an adapter that converts to a USB port, but there are many different configurations, it just matters what you have on your machine. I use the same monitors with my Mac.

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Two screens is awesome for scrapping! I started using two screens at work and then bought a second one for home too. I can't scrap without it now! I'm on a desktop, but when I started I used a laptop with a second screen plugged in. I use my 2nd screen for a bunch of file explorers (like your ACDsee) so I can have a couple different kits open to see thumbnails all at the same time, then I can pick the elements and papers I want and drag them over into Photoshop.

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

My hubby does. I used to have a set up like that at work and hated it, but I am a weirdo.

15. bestcee

@littlekiwi As long as you have a spot to use it, and a spot to put it aside when you don't need it, it's no big deal. Most laptops will automatically recognize when it's plugged in and when it's not and adjust. Mine did, and it's from 2015.

16. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Do it! You will love it. I used a laptop with a second screen as a large monitor. Well, now my laptop is in repair and apparently may not ever come home (long story)... but if it doesn't, I'll likely keep the same set up. I do see appeal in two large monitors though if you have the space.

17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Interesting...I've thought about getting a monitor to use with my laptop, but I've never done it. I'd use it for scrapping, but I think I'd also use it for work, to have my lesson planning resources open on one and my daily plan open on the second. Looks like there are ways to turn a tablet into a second monitor, so maybe I'll do a trial run before deciding.

bestcee likes this.