Mother's Day Fill in the blank

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, May 9, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

My mum* would never ......

*feel free to replace mum with mom/mama/mother/significant female parent figure, anything you prefer or would call them

____________________________________________________________​

This post is brought to you by @LynnG 's kit, The Best China, if you haven't seen it, it's here :
    [​IMG]
    The Best China Kit

by Lynn Grieveson

I saw this kit and apart from 'I love that teapot!', it made me think about the stash of 'the good plates' and crystal and seriously so much stuff that we had to polish to gleaming before people came over, but were never allowed to eat off at any other time or put fingerprints on, that had their own special buffet/hutch/formal display cupboard. And i remember the sound the wineglasses would make teetering around on the glass shelves if we were throwing stuff around or running around playing hide and seek and accidentally knocked into it. I don't know how many Venetian glass vases and decanters any one family needed but that cupboard was packed and it's a miracle we didn't break things more often.

I still have no idea as an adult if everyone's family had that extra special stash but this kit makes me think they did! And it does make me laugh a bit now though that when we go visit for lunch for any reason, she classes me, DH and the kids as guests and we use the fancy dinnerware and cutlery! It makes me feel a bit like royalty but also "OMG! what if the kids knock something over & chip something?!" Apparently it's not important now but I'm still paranoid about it! And even though i don't drink, i make sure to put my water or juice in a crystal glass, just because! So my sentence today is:

My mum* would never: serve guests dinner on anything but the best china!

I know not everyone's mum is still here this Mother's Day (and I know it was back in March in the UK) but feel free to share a memory with us and fill in the blank if you would like :)

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My mom would never let anyone stop by and leave hungry.

We didn't always have a lot of food around, but my mom always shared when we had guests, even people who just dropped by. She has a recipe for Hobo cake, a cake you could make quickly with just a few ingredients, no eggs.

bellbird and AJK like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My grandma would have never let us serve Mother's Day Brunch (or any other holiday) on paper plates and use plastic cutlery.
    :giggle:giggle:giggle

mary kate and bellbird like this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

My mother would never walk under a ladder or do lots of other superstitious things.

bellbird likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

My Mom would never forget to thank someone for a gift, help, or a kind word. Mom would ALWAYS almost go out of her way to be thankful. She is a very compassionate lady. 1935924_102734313071774_8197481_n.jpg

Scrapping with Liz and bellbird like this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My mom would never drive a car. She never wanted to learn to drive. She would walk or take a bus everywhere. It always amazed me b/c everyone I know drives and I couldn’t imagine not having that convenience.

bellbird likes this.
  7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My mom would never yell.

I seriously don't think I ever heard my mom yell or raise her voice. Seriously, amazing.

bellbird likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My mom would never let anyone feel unwelcome and my mom would never let a visit go by without offering food and drink.

bellbird likes this.
  9. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

My mom would never want to go out to eat. She's never impressed by most restaurants and mainly prefers home cooked meals. I don't blame her though because everything she makes is amazing. I guess I would be the same way if I cooked like her lololol

bellbird likes this.
  10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My mom would never not celebrate a holiday or birthday and would never celebrate without seasonal/themed paper plates and napkins.

11. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

My mum would never wear white shoes before Victoria Day, nor after Labour Day weekend. White shoes were strictly for summer. No exceptions.

She would also never serve guests on paper plates. When you invite people into your home, you give them the best you have to offer: your best china, or at least a decent set of dinnerware. No paper or plastic...