Lost Socks | Pad Patter 5.9

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, May 9, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Happy Mother's Day to all you amazing mothers!! I hope you're having a wonderful day!!
    In addition to it being Mother's Day, it's also Lost Sock Memorial Day! We all have them, right?
    [​IMG]

I keep a basket on top of the dryer, and every so often I go through it, check for matching pairs, and then toss the rest. Sometimes, if it's a favorite, I'll leave it in there a little while longer, just in case the lost one finds its way home :giggle. My daughter has worn mismatched socks all her life, so it wasn't really an issue when one of hers went missing. For the boys, I finally got wise and started buying lots of the same kinds of socks but, I swear, every time I do laundry I end up with one lonely sock.

Do you have a "sock basket" of some sort? How often do you clear it out?

2. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

We have a odd sock box that odd socks go to live until they are thrown out, if don't match them up after done all the laundry they get put in bit. I would love the know where all those odd socks disappear to.

I actually bought my son a box of odd socks for Christmas one year, eight socks with different monster designs on them. And funnily enough its only socks he has never lost.

3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have a lonely socks club. Occasionally they find a partner, but not often.

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Happy Mothers' Day! Happy Lost Socks Day!! LOL I swear the dryer eats them! When dd and gs lived with us all of those years, we called them "the traveling socks". At least one sock would "appear" in somebody else's laundry. It was like a game. :lol:lol

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am missing a sock. I think it is 1) in my daughter's clothes somewhere or 2) stuck inside of clothing I have not worn in the past 6 months.

@IntenseMagic - I did the same for my sons & husband. Each had their own brand so the socks could be sorted by style and end up in the correct drawer.

Related -- I hate folding socks. So when my sons were younger I had Sock Boy. When I did laundry I threw all the socks into one basket. His job was to sort them out by family member and fold them. Then Sock Boy went off to college and Sock Boy #2 took over. About the same time, the daughter got underwear duty. Now it is just me - and the clean socks and underwear sit in a basket until our drawers are empty - then I have to sort and fold. This is why we own 2 weeks worth of underclothes!

6. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Happy Mother's Day!!! There is never a moment that I am not missing a sock! I would love to know where they go!

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I am missing way too may socks to count. Remi loves it though (our mini Aussie dog) b/c I put the single socks in the corner of the closet and she is allowed to grab one whenever I open the closet door. She runs like crazy through the house with it, then I take it and tie it to a rope of tied socks that she play with. As she shreds up the socks I untie them from the rope and add another one. She’s got a couple of these sock ropes to play with and loves to play tug-of-war with Taz

BevG and Nemla like this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Yep, got at least one reuseable shopping bag full of odd socks at the end of my bed....to be fair they aren't all mine but because my mum and I have similar size feet by about half a size and 98% of our socks are black, they tend to be communal use anyway.

And no, there aren't a lot of socks that find their mates....where the mates are I have no idea!

9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Very odd, but I do not have an issue with missing socks... all that go in come out. Maybe because it is just the two of us, and we do not have a dog, but all that go in come out. For real small items like the face masks, I have a netted bag that I toss the masks in so they don't get caught anywhere. All accounted for here :)

10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I have a sock pile hiding on my dresser. I’ve realized over the years that the lost sock will always appear if I get rid of the other one. Sometimes I’ll find the missing one up to a year later, hidden in a pocket or someone else’s drawer.

In college one of the dorm washing machines actually ate socks on a regular basis, so people would find their lot socks from the pile that were removed during maintenance. It was crazy.

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Are you in my house???

I've been known to leave my laundry basket of clean socks, bras and underwear sitting in my bedroom instead of folding them. I just grabbed out of the basket. I have also been on the "you can't have too much underwear" train for many years. Started when I had to go to a laundromat when I lived in apartments. Came in real handy after shoulder surgery in 2003 when my arm was in a sling for 3 weeks and the washer/dryer is in the basement.

I remember one time 10 or 12 years ago of not being able to find a sock. I kept the other one just in case because it was a funky patterned sock that I really liked. I didn't worry about it because nice weather was coming and winter clothes/socks weren't being worn. Found the sock 8 months later when I pulled out a pullover that I don't wear very often (has to be single digits for it to come out) and it was inside the sleeve. Still have both the socks :)

BevG likes this.
  12. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether the correct description is "practical" or "lazy," but I'm way too [whichever adjective] to buy single pairs of socks. Everyone in the house has a certain kind or two of solid color socks and just gets lots of that kind. The kids don't even bother storing their socks in pairs--they throw them in the drawer loose and just grab 2 in the morning.

13. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I do this to, it makes sorting socks so much easier. We don't have socks go missing all that often, and when they do, they are usual stuck inside a piece of clothing. I do have "spares" due to socks wearing out. I hang onto them until another sock wears out and then I have a match for the surviving socks.

BevG likes this.
  14. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Where do socks go when they're no longer part of a pair?

I used to have a plastic bin in my laundry room, which I named 'The Asylum for Orphaned Socks.' Occasionally I would get a match (huzzah!), but mostly I just ended up with a plastic bin full of odd and mismatched socks.

As a result, I often wear mismatched socks, though I do try to ensure they're at least from the same colour scheme.

(But seriously: where do socks go? I have lost so many socks over the years, and i just don't know where they went, nor why I cannot find them...).

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is exactly what I do. And my kids also are used to wearing mismatched socks. Haha!

16. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

It is just my husband and I here and no missing socks. I think we rarely had missing ones when my daughter was younger and still living at home.
    If there were any missing we would blame Mr Bumpy
    [​IMG]

17. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I leave single socks in the clean laundry basket. (I have a basket that is used only for clean clothes out of the dryer.) My thinking is that if the second sock appears, I'll just match it while I'm folding clothes, since they are all in the basket together. I don't have to keep track of them.