ISO Photo Walk Tips

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by sakura-panda, Jan 7, 2021.

1. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

We bought my 14 year old daughter a 50 mm lens for Christmas. I was thinking this morning that it might be fun for us to do a photo walk together with just our 50mm lenses and no other distractions.

I've never done one before and thought I'd ask for some opinions and advice. Has anyone done one? What kind of things did you focus on?

FarrahJobling likes this.
  2. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Anything that catches your attention...maybe pick a theme...look for a color or object....or try shooting things at a lower aperture and the same thing at a wider aperture....or walk a certain amount of steps, stop and then take 5 images around you - repeat.

bestcee and melidy like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's a fun idea!
    I love Farrah's theme idea. You could focus on textures too.

4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Can I join you? That sounds like fun. When my husband and I go walking I always take my camera as we always walk beside our local river.
    I like the Farrah's suggestions. Also you could concentrate on possibly looking up or looking down at small things etc.

5. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I told her about my idea this afternoon and she's excited about it. I've been thinking about the theme and hopefully she is thinking about it too. I thought for the first one, we could concentrate on looking for one thing, like an object, a color or a shape. However, I like the idea taking photos every few steps. That's an interesting way to look a bit beyond what is in front of you.

I am also deciding between going downtown (we live in a small town with older buildings, an historic mill and a dam) or to the park (it has wooded trails and a beach). I took my son's senior photos along the cross country trail, which runs through woods and alongside a cornfield, so I guess that would be an option as well. Since we've been on the trail a few times, I feel like we should try something new, but what I like about the trail is that we are less likely to run into someone who will want to stop to talk to us. (Small town. LOL)

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Here’s what I do. I walk slowly, stop often and look around. Check to see what is in the background of the shot you want to take and by changing your stance, your position slightly, how does it change what’s in the background. Try moving around and see how the light hits your subject. Take your time and enjoy getting outdoors and getting some fresh air. Don’t rush.

7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

8. rlucasmn

rlucasmn Headed to Craigh na Dun... and beyond