Smartphone App Organization

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SeattleSheri, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Screenshot_20210416-102113_One UI Home.jpg @SeattleSheri Omg your screen would drive me nuts !
    Screenshot_20210416-102401_One UI Home.jpg Screenshot_20210416-102042_One UI Home.jpg
    we need to do a scrap challenge about this ! So fun to see every ones take on it...

bestcee and Karen like this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's clever! But it would make me crazy- I have enough trouble keeping Youtube, Etsy, Apple Music, and another red app straight- I tap the wrong ones often! LOL HA! just noticed Etsy changed to orange.

rach3975 likes this.
  3. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I don't like a full screen; I only have four lines of apps on each page (I have many pages.)

The first two pages are my most commonly used apps, the first page is *no* folders, the second page is only one row of folders. There aren't any rules for the rest of the pages.

I have 8 pages all together:
    1. Most important
    2. Used daily
    3. Often looked for, rarely used
    4. Photography/Scrapbooking
    5. Shopping
    6. Video
    7. Rarely used apps
    8. Games

Every time I get a new phone, it all just transfers over, so I have no incentive to fix it. I do delete when it looks like a page may go over the 16 spots, but it's not often. The second page get rearranged a lot so that I can add apps I use a lot and move ones that I use less.

This is my first page. I just realized I'm not even counting the previous page, which I consider Apple nonsense and always ignore. LOL

PhoneScreenshot_480.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have made scrapbook layouts about my phone apps. Not since I got my current phone last November though. This is February 2018. Time for an update!

[​IMG]

Memaw2Wm, Nemla, AJK and 1 other person like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my gosh! That made me laugh so much because that was the first thing I noticed... all the notifications! That would make me crazy! :giggle

jk703 likes this.
  6. Karen

I like to have less screens too, I usually only have two screens and mostly only use the stuff on my front screen. I have been scrapping last night and all day today so I haven't gotten to my email yet. It makes me crazy how fast it fills back up! Grrr! :giggle

IMG_8516 small.jpg

7. Karen

Oh and on page 2 I have a folder called "Apple Crap" which includes all of the apps they won't let me delete. Lol.

8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

LOL I have that same folder as the only thing on my second screen, but mine is just called "Unused". I just have a dozen apps out that I like to have easy access to (besides the 4 in the dock), and the rest are in folders somewhat by function. What does it say about me that I have 3 folders of games? :giggle

IMG_5465.PNG

I'm another that can't handle having the red notification dots. I must clear them ASAP! But I also have notifications turned off for most things, so it's not that much to keep up with.

I prefer to use email on my computer, and since the pandemic I've actually disabled most of the email accounts on my phone (I have a lot of accounts for different purposes and most of them don't sync between devices). I only left 3 turned on – one that I use to get notifications of my TLP PMs if I'm away from my computer, one that I use for my mom's stuff (she has Alzheimer's and I'm her POA) which I do not have set up in Outlook, and one I set up specifically to only be on my phone to which I forward things I know I will need if I'm running an errand. In a pinch, I can still turn the accounts back on and it will grab whatever is on the server, but I've only needed to do that once so far.

I will admit that I hadn't even absorbed that there's the app library thing for iPhone now until reading this thread. I just delete what I don't use every now and then. @AJK I don't know about deleting an app from the Library since I don't seem to have any, but when you hit the "-" on the wiggling apps when doing "edit home screen" there are 3 options - Delete app (in red), Remove from Home Screen, or Cancel, so maybe there's some similar edit Library function?

9. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

The "apple" apps can't be deleted, you have to shove them in a folder :)

10. SeattleSheri

I am sooo sad ... like in tears. Yesterday, I decided to try to get my email to sync up. Apparently Comcast changed the ability to set up or maintain POP accounts, so when I went to configure my settings, it overwrote my POP account on my computer and wiped out all of my emails older than 60 days ago :( I want to vomit.

I've SPENT HOURS AND HOURS trying to recover through Time Machine and other methods (to no avail). I called Comcast and they only recover back 6 months and chatted with 2 Apple techs and no one can figure out why my Time Machine option is grayed out for apple mail. I'm very grumpy about this.

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh no! That's horrid @SeattleSheri ! You lost all your old emails!?!? They aren't still on the computer either I take it?

I hate when a fix messes things up worse.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  12. Karen

Oh NO! That would make me sick too! I really hope someone can figure out a way to get those back. Are they still available if you access them from a computer at least?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My front page has the time and weather with a transparent background. Then 2 rows of apps, some in folders, some not. Depends on how often I use them - like the Roku remote app - not a folder. Then I have one other screen with 2.5 rows of apps. I also hate having a full page of apps.

I need to go in and delete stuff - like school apps and stuff.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  14. SeattleSheri

@bestcee @Karen thank you! The source of the issue is my computer. I was managing my email via a POP account on my computer and had IMAP versions on other devices that I didn’t actively manage. Somehow my computer converted to IMAP and the local copies I’d been managing went poof when they synced. Normally you’d be able to restore via Time Machine, but for some reason it’s not working :(

bestcee likes this.
  15. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm sorry, Sheri. That's awful. I use Outlook and have outside folders of personal emails going back to the dawn of time. I get nostalgic and go through various ones from time to time. I would be so sad if I lost them. I have many POP accounts from my owned domains and I've tried to set them up as IMAP so that they would be easier to sync, but for some reason Outlook won't cooperate with those, so I'm stuck with POP.

After pondering this thread a bit more, I decided to try moving those unused Apple apps to the library and it worked! I was able to get rid of that "unused" folder! One screen, baby! :yahoo

Karen, bestcee and SeattleSheri like this.
  16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have four folders on my screen because I'd like as little as possible on there -- but now I'm considering moving them all to the second screen so nothing but what's in the dock shows up.

I'm the same way with my laptop. Everything I use most is docked, and there are 5 icons (and nothing else) on my screen.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of anti-app. I download and keep ones I use frequently, but there are a lot of things I still do via websites so that I don't need to have 100 seldom-used apps cluttering up my phone. I have a home screen with 14 and 2 additional screens with about the same number. The ones I use several times a day are on my main homescreen. On the other 2 screens I group by type. I have a row of ebook readers and audiobook players, a row of store apps, etc. In my app library I have a few folders for the apps I don't want but can't delete, but other than that I don't use the folders.

[​IMG]

Oh, no! That's the nightmare scenario. I hope you're able to get them back somehow.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    SeattleSheri likes this.