Chinese Food!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Apr 14, 2021.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Ugh I feel 100 lbs heavier! our local chinese buffet just opened back up and a friend treated me to dinner! Got me thinking.. what is your all time favorite chinese foods?

Mine:
    Crab Ragoons
    Kung Pow chicken
    General Taos Chicken
    And Cashew Chicken....

Although seriously I love it all! also a mega fan of Thai and Hmong Foods

2. catgoddess

catgoddess Well-Known Member

I love a good egg foo young without sprouts (they gross me out), shrimp toast, and egg drop soup.

dotcomkari likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Hot and Sour Soup, Fried Rice with everything EXCEPT carrots or peas, orange chicken!

dotcomkari likes this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Crab Rangoon, Sesame Chicken or Cashew Chicken with white rice. I also like the Pork Fried Rice recipe that I make at home.

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh!!! My kids can't wait to go to our local Asian Buffet. It is opened but they require masks and gloves. I'm just not up to that challenge with 7 kids. LOL! They always choose it for their birthday dinners.

My favorite is Mongolian Beef.

BevG likes this.
  6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm a fan of Dim Sum. I also like Kung Pao Chicken, Chicken Chow Mein, and Peach & Shrimp Salad (tempura shrimp with peaches and a kind of mayo dressing).

Our favourite Chinese restaurant that we had been going to for years burned down about 2 years ago (arson), so we've been at a loss for finding good Chinese food here. I miss Toronto's Chinatown and the selection we had.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@Scrapping with Liz Gloves too? That sounds like a huge challenge!

Oh! Share the recipe? I've tried a few, and haven't found one I really like yet.

I'm not a buffet person, but I love Chinese food. I like cheese wontons, fried rice, orange chicken, and beef and broccoli. I used to like sweet and sour chicken, but I really love the at-home version I have more now. (I use Mel's Kitchen Cafe recipe here) It's not complicated, but it does take time. It's not as sweet as the restaurants serve.

8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My favorite is Mongolian Chicken!!! I make it often at home with twice the green onions, of course.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Many many years ago I took a Chinese cooking class and learned to stir-fry. We ate out often at Chinese restaurants and then we went to China to get our daughter. The food is different there. Our guides ordered for us most of time and we had to play guess what this is (i.e. someone tested it) if there were no visual clues. You know, things like the fish head or chicken head on the serving plate. Good times!

Here are the favorites we make at home:
    Fried dumplings, steamed buns, pork buns
    Mongolian Chicken
    Teriyaki Chicken
    Chicken with veggies - i.e. whatever is in my fridge plus a sauce
    Singapore Mei Fun
    spring rolls - especially crisped in the air fryer
    egg drop soup
    egg drop soup with ramen - or is it ramen with an egg dropped in it?
    fried rice with veggies and meats - whatever I have on hand

And we have a rice cooker -- they are the bomb!!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    bestcee likes this.
  10. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I love chicken lo mein and sesame chicken the most! :wub Also fried rice and sweet and sour chicken. We have a couple local places that @gonewiththewind and I enjoy. Maybe this should be our next takeout choice...

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Chinese food isn't my favorite so anything I order is pretty plain...usually chicken fried rice or broccoli chicken or beef.

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I also love lo mein and sesame chicken. I like generals chicken, orange chicken, cheese wontons . . . I'm sure that most of what I enjoy are Americanized versions. I've tried to make Chinese food at home and have never been successful.

YES @LivyBug . . . I could eat spring rolls from Shanghai!

LivyBug likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m actually not a big fan of takeout/restaurant Chinese food as I find it too greasy and stodgy. If I make any at home it’s usually a stir fry of some sort....usually chicken as chicken breast is zero points on Weight Watchers for me so it allows me to have a bit of rice too.

BevG likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ooooh I haven't had Chinese in forever! I need some!
    My go-to is vegetable lo mein and egg drop soup :)
    I really like orange chicken, too!

15. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

We have a rice cooker too..we eat a lot of rice...lol
    I took a hmong cooking class in school that was fun..and learned to make egg rolls and some other stuff...
    Most the time we throw stuff together...lol.. I need to hunt down more recipies

16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not a fan of Chinese food but I do love to put chow mein noodles on a salad along with croutons. My dad would make water chestnuts wrapped in bacon coated with soy sauce for New Year's Day football parties in the 60's/70's. My uncle was a salesman for LaChoy and introduced Dad to the water chestnuts. In fact, one Thanksgiving, we got a tour of the LaChoy factory in Archbold and got to see the various growing stages of the water chestnuts. Pretty neat but I'm sure it has changed in the last 50 years!

bestcee likes this.
  17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

This is easy: moo shu pork and egg foo young. Only I can't eat them anymore... :cry

But ... I have found a way to make a good gluten and soy free sweet and sour shrimp! That makes me incredibly happy.

When I go out to eat I always have to get steamed rice, shrimp & broccoli (booooring!) since it's usually the only thing on the menu that fits my restrictions.

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I know it's not chinese but anyone has a good Pad thai recipe?

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Won ton soup!!!! :heartslub:heartslub Beef/broccoli, NONE of the batter fried stuff. Lately our local places (Asian) have been fickle, good one time and awful the next!

20. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I'll go look for it tomorrow and post it.

bestcee likes this.