April Monthly Muse - Week 2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Apr 13, 2021.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

april-header-web-600.jpg

Hello to April! Our theme for this month will be: April is for Artspiration where each week we will identify an art journal or mixed media artist we admire then encourage you to be inspired by that artist's works.

Hi everyone, and welcome to Week 2 of our April Monthly Muse. Well it's my turn this week to highlight one of my fave mixed media artists, so let me introduce you to a fellow Aussie, Toni Burt. https://www.toniburt.com.au/

I have been drawn to Toni's art for quite a while now and have pinned quite a lot of her work on my Fave Mixed Media Pinterest board! I love Toni's free-style type of sketching and the way she uses a limited colour palette really packs a punch! Toni's stunning gallery contains an awesome array of mixed media art that shows just what a talented and creative artist she is. I especially love her sketched faces and how emotive they are. Her 'girls' are all so beautiful and unique in their own way and they each have their own stories to tell.

While visiting her site I took advantage of the free lessons that Toni has so kindly provided, and enjoyed them so much that I ended up purchasing two of her other classes!!! I have already looked through most of the information in those classes and without even putting pencil to paper I have learned quite a few design techniques that I could use in my digital layouts. Actually I ended up challenging myself to create a page using those techniques and I am very happy with the result, even though it took me three attempts at making it! :)

Here is my page; based on the techniques that Toni uses in her own art I added some text to the background to give it a mixed media feel to it and also used a limited colour palette. I used a dark 'water colour' wash on the shadows and then applied a white wash to highlight parts of her face and then finished off with placing some wordart around the page. A lot of blending and masking went into making this page! :)

LS-AJ---THINK-BIG-800.jpg
    Credits are in the gallery

So the challenge this week is to head over to her site and check it all out, then pop into Toni's fantastic gallery and select something that inspires you to create your own piece of art! TONI'S GALLERY

Since enrolling in Toni's two classes I have chatted with her a bit via email and let her know that I was hosting this challenge here. I have sent her the link and who knows, perhaps she might pop in and say hello to us! :fairydance:beat

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to May 1st, 2021 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    G.J. and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@wombat146 Ona, I love Toni Burt, Have done a few of her lessons too. She is absolutely fantastic.... Of to be even more inspired !

wombat146 likes this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

One of the classes I did with Toni Burt was urban sketching , I really enjoyed that loose style, this is not from that lesson, but it is inspired by it. I am going to make another page I think from her figure class, but not today LOL, Thanks for the Muse
    [​IMG]

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

fabulous art, thank you for the Muse. Here's what I created
    [​IMG]

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Beautiful pages already! I can't wait to absorb Toni's art. Wonderful muse, Ona.

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Amazing gallery! I loved what she did with buildings. Here's my feeble attempt:

[​IMG]

AJK and Dady like this.
  7. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Loved this week's muse! I really enjoyed looking at Toni's art.

[​IMG]

9. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

10. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge ❤️
    I was inspired by the Animals gallery!

[​IMG]

11. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Fabulous pages so far ...

[​IMG]

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

wombat146 likes this.
  13. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Toni's art is so inspiring - I took a short class from her a while back and must take some more
    [​IMG]

14. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I based my ATC on "A Trio of Flowers":
    upload_2021-4-14_18-39-8.png

And here is my interpretation, but only one flower:
    [​IMG]

15. Toni B

Toni B New Member

Ona thank you so much for you kind words, I feel truly honoured that you chose me :)
    I've loved looking at all the artworks created, I feel like I may want to try some digital art myself now, you are all an inspiration to me too :-)

Nemla, G.J., Sokee and 2 others like this.
  16. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

:woot:yippeeSo happy that you popped in Toni!! As you can see your art has certainly inspired us all! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to say hello, very thrilled that you did!! xx :happyhug:wubb

17. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I loved her buildings and that she also is a weaver!
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  18. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Another Wonderful! Muse!...I Rather Enjoy Looking At Other People's Art Work!...I Liked Toni's Gallery...I In Particular...Liked The More Neutral Pieces...Creating With Neutrals Can Be Hard...When There's Not Much Other Color For Contrast!...But Toni Also Creates With Color Too!...But With A Still Simpler Approach...Not Too Many Colors To Over Power But To Enhance As Needed...So I Took These Ideas & Put Them Into One Art Piece...I Went With Only Neutrals : Black/White & A Muted Neutral Brown Tone...With Only A Few Pops Of The Same A Bit More Powerful...Color Blue!...

*Subject Matter Is A Bit Sensitive : From Here : Stop Reading If You Feel You Should :

*This Layout Took On A Life Of It's Own While I Was Creating It!...It Started Out Being About One Thing But Ended Up Becoming A Piece About Pain!!!...All Kinds Of Pain!...The Kind That Causes SILENT TEARS!...It Could Be Grief/Loss/Serious Health Issues/Anxiety/Depression/Bullying/Self-Esteem Issues/Family Issues/Social Injustice/Prejudice/Stress...All Kinds Of Pain!...Physical Chronic Pain Like I Have & Many Others Do Too!...The Daily Struggles Can Seem Unbearable!...I Know How That Can Be...Or Mental Illness Issues...Such Hard To Talk About Subject Matter...But I'm Always Putting My Feelings Out There...& Into My Art!...It Helps Relieve The Types Of Pain I Speak Of...Along With Many Other Things!...And Helps Expel Those Negative Feelings!...& Put Them Out There & To Feel Relief That You Did!...& To Know That I Can Do Just That...Without Fear Of Judgement Here...The Support Here Is A Very Important Thing! To Me! & So Many Others Here...Creating Is My Muse! ...Most Certainly...But No Matter How Hard A Day Can Be...There Is Always Hope!...There Is Always A Way!...I Created This Layout As A Form Of Healing! For Myself!...& As A Form Of Hope For Others...I Hope!...That Is!...We Are All Connected In This World We Live In!...So Please!...If You Are Going Through Some Tough Times...Reach Out & Connect With Someone...Anyone You Trust!...Someone Who Can Relate!...Never Give Up On Yourself!...& Most Importantly!...Never Stop Learning & Accepting! Yourself! & Learning To Love! Yourself As You Are!...Something I Struggle With In My Anxiety Issues!...All My Heart & Love! Goes Out To Everyone Going Through Any Of These Tough Issues!...May You Be Brave!...And May You Learn To Be Strong!...And Never Give Up On Yourself...All Hearts! & Hugs!!!...:bk....:heartslub...

*For My Learning To Heal From Within Layout-I Used:

*Silent Battles:Grief-Rachel Jefferies...[WA Recolored...]
    *Tansy Teagarden-Collection-Rebecca McMeen...[Tansy Recolored...]
    *I Do My Own Thing-Rachel Jefferies...[WA Only...]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  19. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Toni's art is wonderful, so inspiring. I felt in love with her " be the divine that you seek", the colors, texture and message all are just perfect! Here's my take, full credits in gallery. Wishing you a very beautiful day!
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  20. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.