Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Apr 2, 2021.

1. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I totally agree with you! While there is no definitive answer today about whether you can spread COVID after you're vaccinated, preliminary studies are definitively showing some optimism that people who are vaccinated with a mRNA vaccine are NOT spreading COVID ... plus that's how almost every other vaccine works. I personally think the promotion of the notion that you might be able to communicate COVID after vaccination is currently being perpetuated to get people to continue to wear masks (since it's almost impossible to selectively let some people go mask-free).

rach3975, LynnG, HavaDrPepper and 2 others like this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I had the Moderna. First dose 2/17. Second dose 3/17. The first one, I had a sore arm, but that was about it. The second one was a doozy. I had a severe headache. I already take medications for chronic pain, so I didn't add more Tylenol into that mix. Even with those pain meds, the headache was blinding and very similar to my migraines with light and smell sensitivity. After that, for a full week, I felt terrible.

I did just finish radiation on 1/8 and started hormone therapy on 2/5. I don't know what the link with estrogen is as I've read a few articles and there's conflicting information. I know having estrogen suppressed as part of my hormone therapy and me having a more severe reaction would make sense, I just don't know the truth of that.

I'm still very glad I was able to have the vaccine early . . . our local hospital/healthcare system that we're in, Ascension Sacred Heart, identified me as a candidate based on the breast cancer and other health conditions. My daughter is having her vaccine next week, and my hubby will be soon after that.

LynnG likes this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I registered with my county and a week after I was eligible they contacted me and I jumped on the first available appointment.
    April 1st
    Pfizer
    Very little soreness at injection site
    Second vaccine appointment set up for the 29th.

My husband has had both his Pfizer no reactions on both.

My mother had the Moderna sore arm with her first shot. Second shot she was tired sore and ran a low grade fever.

I have 6 children and they are mixed on getting the vaccine. All but 2 married couples have decided to get it. The two married couples are in the process of wanting to start a family so they have decided to not get the vaccine.

jk703 and LynnG like this.
  4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I volunteered several times at one of the mass vaccination sites here in AZ and got my two Pfizer shots. The volunteering was really rewarding -- fun to see everyone so excited and happy to get the vaccine. The day after the second shot, I had a sore arm, a fever and some body aches but they just lasted that day. So glad to be done with that stupid virus!

rach3975 likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm passing on them until more is known about the long term side effects. You know that paper insert that lists all the side effects you may get that's included with the medication? For me it's which ones WON'T I get. I get nasty side effects from every medication I take so I need to know beforehand what they are because the cure is usually worse than getting the illness. Most of them show up around the one-year point, so with this I'll wait. I'm not concerned about not getting a shot and neither is my doctor.

AJK, A-M, jk703 and 1 other person like this.
  6. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I've had both doses of Pfizer, and as of 2 days ago I'm 2 weeks past my second shot! No real side effects--I was a little bit tired both times but nothing extreme. My arm was a bit sore, but only to the point that I couldn't sleep laying on it, not to the point that I felt it when I used the arm. My husband just became eligible so we're waiting for the health department to send him his registration link. (Here you preregister with the health department when you become eligible, then they send you the appointment link when they have a shot for you.) My oldest is 17, so he'll be eligible in mid-April. I can't wait until they're both vaccinated! After that we've got a wait, because my other 2 kids are 12 and 15. I'm crossing my fingers that enough adults get vaccinated that cases continue to decrease in spite of the variants. We'd love to go see my family this summer, who we haven't seen since January of 2020, but we'd have to travel to do it so it will depend on the incidence rates.

Everyone in my family wanted shots as soon as they were eligible, so my parents have had both Moderna doses, my sister and brother in law have had their first Moderna, and my brother and sister in law had their first (not sure if it was Moderna or Pfizer). None of us had any side effects other than tiredness and sore arms.

As for women and vaccine reactions, that isn't new with this vaccine. Women have always had stronger vaccine reactions. We also tend to have stronger immune systems than men, which may be part of the reason. I've also read the theory that size is a contributor--we always just offer an "adult" dose whether you're 120 lbs or 250 lbs, so women tend to get a stronger dose relative to body size than men do.

Preliminary results are looking very good that people who are fully vaccinated are much less likely to catch and spread covid, not only less likely to become symptomatic. I forget the stats I read last week, but they were about as good as we could hope for.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I was a lucky duck, I got both of Pfizer and the first I had no side effects, the second one 24hrs after the injection I was just so tired and sleepy. I called my doctor and they told me "GO TO SLEEP, then". Which I did. I slept 16 hrs straight (without sleeping aids, I usually need them) and woke up feeling much better. LOL!!!

bestcee and Donitab like this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

The vaccinations stressed me out cause of my parents and it was so hard to get appointments here at first! My parents were old enough, and my Dad has a health issue so I was really feeling the stress trying to get them appointments early Feb through March. My mom got the J&J one in March, and finally got my Dad, myself and DH the Pfizer one on 3/16 at one of the mega-centers here in NJ. The three of us head back tomorrow to get our second. I'm thrilled. I do plan on waiting a little bit for the kids. They will get it eventually, but I want to see how it plays out a little.

bestcee likes this.
  9. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I've had the first round of the Pfizer vaccine. My second round is set for Friday.

I didn't really experience much other that my arm being sore at the injection site. Felt pretty good. I'm hoping the second round goes just the same.

My mom and brother got the J&J. She's 65 and he's 19. She was fine and he was sick for 2 1/2 days....chills, fever, body aches...just felt poopy. Weird how it affects everyone so differently.

10. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I had the moderna shots in Feb. First was fine, the 2nd one I had flu-like symptoms but was able to go to work. It lasted only about 24 hours. The funny thing is that I kept moaning in my sleep and waking myself up. Looking back, I probably should have stayed home and slept, but I was already missing a lot of work taking care of my mother so thought I needed to be there when I could. I am post-menopausal and pretty sure Estrogen played no part in my side-effects.

My husband had the Pfizer and he ran a fever of 103 with the second shot and whined a lot - .
    Glad it is done - I did it for my kids and grandkids.

11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I don't know anyone in SA that has had it besides the President - saw him getting his shot on tv.
    My DD has signed up for it as she is a health student - so she will likely be the first person I know of that will get it.

bestcee likes this.
  12. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

As I mentioned upthread, I put myself on some waitlists for the vaccine...

I'm getting my first dose tomorrow!! So excited, so grateful.

bestcee likes this.
  13. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

My family of four spend Easter morning together getting the first does of Pfizer. My youngest has had no symptoms, and the rest of us have sore arms. Hopefully, round two won't be very bad. Fingers crossed!

14. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Pfizer ... sore arm occurring about six hours after the injection and lasted about 24 hours. Second injection sore arm again, but started later and lasted a shorter period. My two week period will be up next Monday (4/12). I'm 67.

My 92 y.o father had Moderna and no side effects at all, although he did note that his shoulders are always sore.

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Dose #2 in the arm about 90 minutes ago. So far so good but I do expect a sore arm since I get that even with a flu shot. Tech giving shot said she only had a headache with her 2nd shot but it wasn't unbearable.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  16. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

It was like winning the lottery to get appointment from our state booking site (AZ), but got them for both hubby and I. We had both doses of Pfizer. He had a bit of soreness from both. I had soreness on both -- less for the first one, a bit more on the 2nd (started sooner, lasted longer) and the next day after 2nd dose I was so tired I napped, which is quite rare. But that only lasted a day, no other ill affects. Now I just wonder how soon we'll all need a booster shot -- but looking forward to being able to venture out a bit more, and thinking about lining up haircut. I checked the salon and they are not mandating masks, so not sure how I feel about that just yet.

17. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with that. Our county is still in the red with "community transmission."

elseepe likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

24 hrs + after getting Pfizer #2. Some soreness but much less than I had with shot #1. No headache or fever either. However, I am feeling tired this afternoon, feeling like I could nap. And, then there is this weird thing happening... my behind is sore. I sit in this chair every single day and never have this happen. Side effect? Who knows. But I'm moving to the couch and going to play some games on my tablet. And, if I fall asleep, so be it!

19. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I had shot #2 yesterday and could write a very similar post. I have a very slight headache and some mild stiffness in my very lower back/upper glute.

rach3975 and LynnG like this.
  20. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DH is a scientist. All his coworkers/lab techs were hoping to get either Pfizer or Moderna because they wanted to be able to say they got the first-ever mRNA vaccine. By the way, the mRNA research that led to the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines has been going on for about 20 years. It isn't new research, but it is the first time the research has had a dire/imminent reason to be put to use as a vaccine. DH has done mRNA work himself, so the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines seem both unique ("So glad they can finally use mRNA methods in a vaccine!") but also relatable to him ("I know how this works, and I know it's safe"). His coworkers who got the J&J vaccine, while bummed they're not part of the mRNA Club but instead the Tried and True Viral Vector Club lol, were happy to be one-and-done shot-wise.

Anyway, I got Pfizer. DH was happy to get Moderna. He hasn't had his second dose yet. My second dose gave me the worst headache ever. I woke up the day after my second dose and I felt a little off. And exhausted lol, even though I'd just woken up. So I stayed in bed a bit and just rested. Then, as soon as I sat up and got out of bed, the headache hit me HARD. But I'll take a 6-hour-long splitting headache over covid!

Now I can go back to work and I feel much less likely to spread it to my kids, who won't be vaccinated for quite some time. Thankfully my parents are vaccinated so we're hoping to see them soon. (Well, in June--but that feels relatively soon. Like a light at the end of the voluntary self-quarantined tunnel!)

Christina W, rach3975, Karen and 7 others like this.