Gardening Fast Five | Pad Patter 03.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 25, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I decided I am going to grow something this year. The kid picked out a bunch of seeds he wants to grow - watermelons, muskmelon (canteloupe), and pumpkins. So, we started some seeds inside. I'm shocked that they are already starting to sprout! It makes my heart happy. And my kid is loving it!

So, it made me curious:
    1. Do you grow a garden?
    2. Would you like to grow a garden?
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else?
    4. Have you ever grown something?
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit?

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

1. Do you grow a garden? I've got flowering bushes in my backyard garden so they don't need a lot of care. The garden was in place when we bought the house over 20 yrs ago. All I have to do is deadhead the buds a bit and use the electric trimmer in the early spring.

2. Would you like to grow a garden? I would love to have flowers but the dogs would destroy them.

3. Flowers or veggies or something else? I've always wanted a veggie garden but know that I don't have time to maintain it but I sure like the idea of having one.

4. Have you ever grown something? Yrs ago I had tomato plants in 5 gallon pails that were so delicious. They required so much watering though that it became a hassle so I only did it for a few yrs.

5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Cherries, pumpkin, raspberries, avocados, tomatoes, asparagus, peppers. I could go on and on b/c I love lots of veggies and fruit.

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No to all!

However, I do have flower beds all around the house that have been designed by a landscaping company. Mostly perennials and various shrub/bush types of plants. They also do the year end clean up as well. My one request when they did this was wheat grass. My neighbor has it around their patio and it makes a beautiful privacy barrier in late summer. So I have wheat grass at the end of my patio that faces their house. Looks awesome in the late summer/early fall!

4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

1. Do you grow a garden?
    I live in the Phoenix area and it's a challenge to grow things here because of the heat. You have to time things completely differently and we have a small yard so it's hard to get either enough sun or not too much sun. :D Right now, I'm growing outside in pots beefsteak tomato, cilantro, sage, mint and thyme, plus a bunch of flowers my hubby picks up an Home Depot to plant in pots. I also have English lavendar and a few more herbs on order from Burpee. Year-round, I also grow a few things in an Aerogarden indoors including basil, chives, parsley and sometimes jalapenos. The Aerogarden is pretty idiot-proof but it tends to do better with herbs than larger plants like tomatoes and it does take some maintenance to keep everything running well. I got my first Aerogarden during the pandemic and it's been a fun experiment.
    When we lived in VA, we had a fantastic garden. I would love to have a large garden again. My mom is a huge gardener (she moved to a farm for more room) and I grew up gardening with her.
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Both. Zinnias are probably my favorite thing to grow here in AZ because they do well in the heat, they grow easily from seed, they flower profusely and they are such a happy flower. :) But as you can tell, I especially like to grow herbs for cooking since I am not a great meal planner, so having a herbs on hand is great (and saves a lot of money).
    4. Have you ever grown something? I've grown a little of everything. Veggies, flowers, landscape plants, trees, houseplants. I love to grown things.
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Basil is very satisfying to grow because it grows really vigorously and you can hack away at it and it just comes back stronger. It'll grow great on a sunny windowsill. I also enjoy growing jalapenos and other spicy peppers.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1. Do you grow a garden? No, I'm sorry to say.

2. Would you like to grow a garden? I would like to help others grow a garden. I'm not inclined to do it myself.

3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Can we do both? If only one, then I'd pick veggies because I enjoy eating more than looking at flowers (though I do enjoy flowers too).

I've been enjoying the daffodils blooming all over the place right now. When I was delivering on my postal route this afternoon I saw a house where someone had planted rows and rows and rows of so many daffodils! Such a cheering sight.

4. Have you ever grown something? Long long ago, I had an aloe plant. It died from neglect because I was absorbed in taking care of my babies. When my oldest baby was 5 I planted a square foot garden in a raised box. It produced very little. At some point I tried growing tomatoes in a box on my porch too, with no success. More recently (like in the last 5 years) I've gone through a few small plants in my nook. The longest living (3 years maybe) just died a couple months ago.

And when I reread what I've written here, I remembered I've also grown 3 babies!!! :lol2

5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? To grow? I don't know. To eat . . . avocados, sweet potatoes, and Clementine oranges.

I have a great appreciation for farmers and farmers markets and grocery stores that sell quality produce and the transportation system and workers who deliver my food. :love

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So, it made me curious:
    1. Do you grow a garden? yes
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? more than we do! deer- we have deer and bunnies and ?? that eat the plants
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? just flowers in the ground, but herbs, tomatoes, & peppers on the deck in pots
    4. Have you ever grown something? Oh yes, I grew up with a veggie garden that we had to help with, helped mom can and freeze for our large family
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Never thought about it since I was a child. Most of them. I even like ones I hated as a child (asparagus and Brussel sprouts), but I still hate cooked cauliflower and cooked cabbage. If there is a fruit I don't like, I don't remember it. Is coconut a fruit? I hate that.

We are growing strawberries in pots on the deck this year. It is an experiment. Got the plants for free so worth a try.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. Do you grow a garden? - I have flower gardens all around my house and I have veggies in pots and planters on my deck and along my driveway.

2. Would you like to grow a garden? - I'd love to have a big garden but time is not on my side, until retirement maybe.

3. Flowers or veggies or something else? I have lots of flower gardens that I love! I would like to have a big veggie garden.

4. Have you ever grown something? I have grown tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, broccoli, and a few other things here and there that weren't really successful because critters got to them. My flower gardens have a little bit of everything, but I love my day lilies and azaleas the best.

5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Oh goodness, I love almost all veggies and fruits! My favorites to grow are tomatoes and peppers. I call my cherry tomato plants my snack trees because I usually pick and eat them as they get ripe lol.

8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

1. Why would
    2. I garden
    3. when I
    4. already have
    5. two kids to grow?

:giggle:giggle:giggle

Donitab and jenn mccabe like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

1. Do you grow a garden? I'm going to this year.
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? Yes
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Both
    4. Have you ever grown something?Yes
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Strawberries, tomatoes and all kinds of herbs.

10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1. Do you grow a garden? I do potted herbs. My hubby does the garden.
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? I would like to be more involved but time is an issue. I do help him pick things.
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Both?
    4. Have you ever grown something? Yes :)
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? I love veggies...especially broccoli!

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. Do you grow a garden? No
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? No
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? We have flowering shrubs and some flowers that bloom. Jay is the gardener at our house.
    4. Have you ever grown something? Yes. I have grown plants and taken care of them.
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Favorite vegetable has to be corn. I also love the tomato, which you'll never convince me is a fruit. Favorite fruit is probably pineapple.

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. Do you grow a garden? We have a garden, more drought resistant flowers than anything else.
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? I am not the best at follow through, so only in theory
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Flowers
    4. Have you ever grown something? Beans, herbs
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Lettuce, rosemary, basil

13. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

1. Are you growing a garden? -> yes
    2. Would you like to create a garden? -> I change something in my garden every year
    3. Flowers or vegetables or something else? -> both but more flowers
    4. Have you ever grown anything? tomato, potatoes, strawberries, pumpkin, lettuce, herbs and of course flowers-> zinnias, marigolds, tagetes, dahlias, asters, rhododendrons, hydrangeas, lilies of the valley, many perennials of old varieties, etc.
    5. What are your favorite vegetables or fruits? - tomatoes and apples

14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We have a kitchen garden with fruit trees, herbs and some vegetables
    Our favourite fruit crop is quince.

15. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

1. Do you grow a garden?
    At school each class has a small garden plot. It's small, maybe 3 feet by 3 feet. We use them in April and May, since before then we're still getting freezes overnight and school ends in late May. I've also supervised my kids at home some years when they brought home a cabbage from school or decided they wanted to plant tomatoes. At home we only do container gardening on the deck.

Nope. That small taste of helping kids garden is more than enough for me. I enjoy it because of their excitement, not because I like the actual gardening.

3. Flowers or veggies or something else?
    Veggies so that we can eat them at the end! At school we usually plant a mix of fast growing veggies and some flowers.

4. Have you ever grown something?
    I'm not a plant person. I don't have a single indoor plant, and the ones we have outdoors need no real maintenance. I guess I still get credit for the school garden, though, since I'm the head gardener of our little plot and lead my 4-year old assistants.

5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit?
    Fruit-watermelon and honeydew
    Vegetable-mushrooms and cauliflower

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

1. Do you grow a garden? I used to have a decent sized garden for a few years -even did some composting. It was really enjoyable and I miss it but I don't have the time commitment for it right now. We do have a ton of landscaping that is quite a bit of work seasonally. I love being outside - so to me it's heaven to be outside with it all around me.
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? I would love to do a small one when I retire.
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? I had a full on veggie garden. Right now I have just a few kitchen herbs that I grow.
    4. Have you ever grown something? See answers above - for my garden, I did about 2/3 from seeds and the other 1/3 I would buy the plants. Also ... I love plants and have them at home and in my office at work.
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Fruit - that's tough to narrow down a fave, maybe summer peaches/nectarines. Veggies - Jersey tomatoes. Can't find anything like them anywhere else and can only get them seasonally.

17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

1. Do you grow a garden? I guess it depends on how you define it. I don't grow annuals or any specific fruits/herbs/vegetables, but I have loads of plants that I care for (some came with our house, but the many were chosen and planted by me)
    2. Would you like to grow a garden? I think I already am? lol
    3. Flowers or veggies or something else? Flowers
    4. Have you ever grown something? Yes
    5. What's your favorite vegetable or fruit? Disclaimer, this answer is not related to me growing these! I'm an equal opportunity vegetable/fruit person. I love almost all of them