** WINNER ANNOUNCED ** FANniversary Challenge | SHADOW BOX

Discussion in 'Project Mouse FANniversary 2021' started by mmbstaley, Mar 19, 2021.

1. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Melinda here!! I love shadowboxes to capture my memories. A shadowbox displays a collection of objects in a thematic grouping, and the objects often have an artistic or sentimental value to the creator. I have made both physical ones holding photos and bits of tangible memorabilia, and digital ones that live on my computer (and which need to be printed so they can hang on my wall too!). Whenever I look at them they help me remember the time, place or person that is the subject. This challenge is to create your own take on a shadowbox with Project Mouse.

Basic steps to creating your shadowbox challenge page:
    1. Pick a subject for your box/page. It can be very focused, like a person or a favorite place or ride, or it could be large like my "map" of a whole park. The subject does not have to be Disney related.
    2. Collect at least 5 elements that evoke some emotion or memory of the subject, and a photo or two if you like, but photos are not required. Project Mouse cards can count as your elements for this challenge.
    3. Place them in your 'box'. What shape that box takes is totally up to you. Play with cutout layers and shadows to make an art page, fill the spaces on a pocket page, arrange them on a cute digital shelf, or any other type of page that you like.
    4. Add a Title to your shadowbox somewhere on the page.

The idea for this challenge is not necessarily to sink your entire weekend into creating one of these elaborate masterpieces!! (Although you definitely could and we will all jump up and down clapping and cheering when you share them with us!!) The intent here is to be inspired by the idea of shadowboxes in general. We want you to use your layout to evoke a memory without relying solely on photos, as you would if you were putting items in a physical shadowbox.

Interested in going full out and making your own 3D Digital Shadowbox?
    CLICK HERE to download a PDF with detailed instructions on how I have created mine.

Here are my recent shadowbox pages with Project Mouse:
    [​IMG]
    Please see these individual pages in my gallery for a closer look and full credits

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another from me!
    [​IMG]
    Layout by Melinda (mmbstaley) | Project Mouse (Frontier) Bundle, Project Mouse (Paradise) elements, Project Mouse (Wilderness) Elements

Here are a few other great examples from our Project Mouse teams:

[​IMG]
    Layout by Justine | Life in 3D (Dressed Up) Template by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs, Project Mouse (Fantasy): Pins, Project Mouse (Beginnings): Artsy, Project Mouse (World): Bundle, Project Mouse (Fantasy): Bundle all by Sahlin Studio and Britt-ish Designs

[​IMG]
    Layout by QuiltyMom | Project Mouse (Paradise): Papers and Elements, Project Mouse: Princess Ariel bundle, Project Mouse: Fantasy Artsy

[​IMG]
    Layout by Ashley | Project Mouse: Wizarding (journal cards & papers)
    Fonts: HarryP & Poppins

CHALLENGE RULES:
    * You must include AT LEAST 5 elements/cards. Photos are not required, but can be added. They do not count towards your elements total.
    * Journaling is not required, but should be limited to a sentence or two, if you choose to include it. This is a visual memory we are creating. You may use wordstrips or wordart as elements.
    * Title your shadowbox.
    * Feel free to scrap ANY subject matter - it doesn't have to be Disney.
    * Templates are allowed.
    * Your layout must contain at least 75% of Project Mouse products.
    * Post your layout to the LilyPad Gallery (Sahlin Studio gallery appreciated)
    * Post your layout here in this thread, and link to your layout page in the gallery
    * Your layout must be uploaded by Monday, March 22, 2021 at 11:59pm PDT. **please the note at the bottom of this post about getting your pins from me in time to earn the Park Hopper prize tonight.
    * Leave love for fellow scrappers in the gallery.
    * Double/Triple Dipping aren't allowed in the FANniversary Challenges. One unique LO per challenge.

What is the Prize?
    * After you complete the challenge, you will receive a link from me (via PM) to where you can download your pins to add to your pin board!
    *PLUS, one lucky participant will be chosen at random to receive a $10 gift certificate to the Project Mouse shop.

----
    Our resident template wizard, Cheryl Ashcraft aka Fiddle-Dee-Dee, showed everyone how to make a shadow box cutout page in the Friday evening chat, and she is giving it to FANniversary participants for free. You can find it in the FANniversary Chat Thread HERE or in the Project Mouse Facebook Group.

----
    A note about tonight's upcoming deadline for completing the challenge and earning your Park Hopper Pins. I live in the Eastern time zone in US. I am a night-owl, but my brain is pretty much done by midnight lately. I will be up until midnight and happy to send out prize PMs before I head to bed about that time. I cannot guarantee that if you post your page after 12AM EDT that I will be up to send you your pins to complete the Park Hopper board. So please, if you are a last-minute scrapper or this is your last challenge to get done, have it posted before midnight my time so that I can get you your prize and you will have enough time to post in the Park Hopper thread before the deadline (midnight PDT) there too and not miss out on earning the POP alphas set.
    If you post after midnight and before the final deadline of 3AM my time, I will send prize PMs Tuesday morning.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

4. ScrappyHappy82

ScrappyHappy82 I didn't know pet stores sold husbands!

I played along too! It was fun to finally try this and I can see myself using this technique again and again!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  5. Coady

Coady Well-Known Member

Thanks for kicking off the challenges! This was fun to create.

[​IMG]

6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

EEk! I'm going to have to do another one of these!!!!

[​IMG]

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Here's mine! Thanks for the fun!
    [​IMG]

8. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

9. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Your layouts are amazing! I made a title page for our colorado trip using the silhouette for Colorado.

[​IMG]

keepscrappin and mmbstaley like this.
  10. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

These are so much fun! Love your examples!

[​IMG]

11. DraeScraps

DraeScraps Active Member

[​IMG]
    So fun! I have to try again later when I have more time!

NatNatJo, keepscrappin and mmbstaley like this.
  12. BevS97

BevS97 New Member

[​IMG]

I decided
    to remake this after a new template was shared.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    NatNatJo and sahlink like this.
  13. sobxgirl

sobxgirl Member

This was a really fun to learn! Thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

NatNatJo, mmbstaley and sahlink like this.
  14. JustLorri

JustLorri Member

Once upon a time, my 3 year old (he's 15 now) met Lightning McQueen, who was very loud for a 3 Boy (as he called himself), so he took this very serious picture. Those cheeks! Those ears!! [​IMG]

NatNatJo, keepscrappin and mmbstaley like this.
  15. ajrtcjung

ajrtcjung New Member

We are so proud of our son who tried out for his High School Baseball team. He made the team - Let's Go Eagles! I tried my best to create the Shadow Box using Artisan 6 software. It isn't as dramatic as those using PS, but for my first try, I think it meets the challenge (I hope).
    [​IMG]

mmbstaley and ashanddiz like this.
  16. jennschultz

jennschultz Well-Known Member

17. slfam

slfam Chocolate or vanilla? I can't decide!

I went with a literal Shadow Box.
    [​IMG]

18. ashanddiz

ashanddiz Well-Known Member

OK - I had to add my embellished layout. I still want to try one of your fancy shadowbox layouts @mmbstaley!
    [​IMG]

19. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

mmbstaley likes this.
  20. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

This is an incredible technique, definitely need more practice.
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin and mmbstaley like this.