CU Tools for Scrapbooking

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 16, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Does anyone use some of the CU tools available here at TLP for their own layouts? Been thinking rather than investing my gift certificate money during NSD into supplies I’d go down the tool route instead. If you do use CU tools, what would you recommend?

Caveat is....do not need any shadow styles or any PU glitter styles - I have more than enough.Also any recommendations need to be compatible with PSE too.

These are the two I definitely have
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I find that the one I use the most is Mommyish's stylin #48 -- but I see that is no longer available -- it is one that I have used many times to create an epoxy/flair -- but I found this one that seems to have a similar use -- if my link works. Someday someone is going to have to tell me how to link items from the store into a post.

https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-Stylin-197.html

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I use CU items in quite a lot of my layouts. They are a great way of extending my stash.

I don't use styles as I don't use photoshop. However I do use templates for worn/torn edges/frames, png brushes, textures, overlays and patterns for backgrounds.
    These are my go to buttons and fasteners if the kit I'm using doesn't have any:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@littlekiwi

I have Sahin Design's style no 51 and it works in PSE but you can't adjust the settings of the curl with PSE. Sometimes I want to adjust the darkness of the curl but can't in PSE, so I don't use it very often now that I have this one by mommyish. I know you said you don't want more shadows, but this one is a twofer. It will give you the curled look of Sahin's style no 51 along with the drop shadows. You can uncheck the drop shadow if you don't want to use it and just have the lighting effects. I have PSE 14 & 19 and use these on almost every layout nowadays.

[​IMG]

I also love this crumpled style from Sahin Design's and haven't used it for awhile, but now that you asked, I remembered it. I love how it will crumple large and small paper elements. Again, PSE doesn't let you adjust the settings, but it works great on most papers and paper elements, so it's definitely one I'd recommend. I also like the edging styles to add a finishing touch to things, even if I don't crumple them.

[​IMG]

cfile and Ferdy like this.
  5. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@keepscrappin I have this set by mommyish and I use a lot, love it!!

cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  6. Ferdy

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Some of the charms and buttons along with the rest of the items already noted I use.

8. littlekiwi

@keepscrappin I’m 98% sure I have that shadow set but just don’t use it. I seem to be glued to using the set from @gonewiththewind. I really should branch out & try the others I have.

gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  9. littlekiwi

Ferdy likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

I had thought of maybe a realistic stamped style or maybe a gesso or thicker paint style but confused with so many options particularly the stamped styles

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

I like to use both Cheryl's shadows and the one from Mommyish. Cheryl's shadows are my go to for most things, and I love Mommyish's paper lighting effects for papers and word strips. I also like to separate the shadows and customize them to try and get them to look like Cheryl does in her watch Cheryl scraps, but that's not as easy in PSE so sometimes I leave as is or just customize a few.

12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@littlekiwi Jennifer those two you shared in the opening post are now on my wish list as they look very useful.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  13. keepscrappin

I don't have any gesso styles, but I do love the gesso pieces Rachel Jefferies, Just Jaimee and Paula Kesselring have in their stores. Paula also has a gesso freebie in the store that you could grab to try.

I've used the half tone distressing styles in this style challenge freebie for a stamped look. It's still available for free in the store and Leah shows how to use the styles in the video so that might give you some ideas too. https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-4th-stylin-titles-technique-challenge.46550/
    [​IMG]

This is another stamped style that I have and love.
    [​IMG]

Maybe try out the Mommyish style challenge freebie and then start making a wishlist of other styles you'd like to buy when there's a CU sale.

Also, both Mommyish and Just Jaimee do BYOC styles that coordinate with the month's colors and Mommyish has started doing universal CU styles that can be used with any color as part of the BYOC styles.

[​IMG]

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to have too many styles loaded all the time or it will slow down PSE. I keep my shadow styles and a few other goto styles loaded all the time and then load and unload the others when I want to use them. Hope that helps :agree

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Um, **I'm** totally OK with you being stuck on mine. LOL

cfile, littlekiwi and bestcee like this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love styles!
    I use this one a lot!
    [​IMG]

For stamps, I also like this one because I like the dotted look to the stamp, like it's faded:
    [​IMG]

I don't use this one enough, but I need to start!
    [​IMG]

And I love the thicker style when I want to add some extra dimension:
    [​IMG]

I also like these a lot for adding texture, especially if I make my own journal cards:
    [​IMG]

16. littlekiwi

@keepscrappin I load my presets/fonts as I need them so no worries about an overloaded program.

17. Ferdy

I remembered of NBK styles, every collection of hers has styles sold separately, and I love the possibilities of those, there are gesso, watercolor, stamped....

18. littlekiwi

I knew you would be :agree

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Here are the styles that I find myself using the most:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-M and bestcee like this.
  20. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I use these stitching actions pretty often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]