Help.... storage question

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Smwhite, Feb 22, 2021.

1. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Does anyone have a laptop that they use? I have a laptop with 2 EHD. I use one EHD as my primary source of storing all my photos, kits, and such. My second EHD is strictly a backup. It takes HOURS to back up my primary EHD to my second EHD. I've wanted to start using BackBlaze as an offsite backup but I'm truly concerned about the time it will take to back it up. Anyone else use their laptop similarly and have good luck getting your EHD to back up to BackBlaze?

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes, you can back up multiple EHDs. I have two EHDs and both are backed up using Backblaze. I also back up two internal drives.

bestcee and marijke like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't have a laptop, but I will say that it does take time for Backblaze to make the initial backup. I didn't time it but I know it took a while.

4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thank you Cheryl.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes. When I first used Backblaze, I was using a laptop. I had to change the settings so it wouldn't sleep. When the laptop went to sleep, the backup stopped. The backup speed depends on your internet speed. I was able to connect the laptop directly to the router, and that helped it run faster. My laptop was really old (Windows xp!) so, it took awhile to do the initial backup.
    I had it only backup photos first. Then I added folders in order of importance to me (documents was next, etc.) After it had the most important to me stuff backed up, I changed the backup folders back to default. That way it got everything at that point, but I knew my photos were safe.

With multiple EHD's, I notice it seems to check if the file is identical to one already backed up. So, when I back up my EHD, it has a duplicated photo folder set up identical to my computer. It seems to go through it faster on EHD than on the computer, and I wonder if it's checking to see if it's the exact same file. I know when they are named different, or in a different spot (folder name, etc.), or have had the metadata changed, it does take a little longer to backup. But when they are identical, size and all, it goes a little faster.

7. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Thank you! This is great info! I can't hook into the router directly cause hubby's work computer has to do that. However, the idea to update photos first is great! Honestly that is my most important priority. If I lost everything else I would be bummed but I could replace it. I can't replace my photos. Not sure why the EHD's are being slow copying from each other, but I will have to turn the sleep feature off as well on my computer. Last time I babysat it, but with it taking hours I can't do that on a weekly basis.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Most routers have two to four ethernet spots. I would suggest checking to see if yours does. Glad it was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions!