Rubber Duckie |Pad Patter 2.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 25, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today in 1970 Ernie sang the Rubber Duckie song for the first time.

(You're Welcome for the Earworm!)

So, did you have a rubber duckie? Did others you knew? We used to collect those little rubber duckies from the dollar store where all the duckies had a theme - like a cowboy or princess.

Side note: we've gotten rid of them all since they mold inside.

Memaw2Wm and Donitab like this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Don't remember having one. After googling history of it, I'm not sure they were that popular when I was a toddler. In the early days they were made of hard rubber and not very good at floating. I couldn't find anything specifically about the years I was a toddler. What I read said the usage of them exploded when the song came out.

3. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

No rubber duckies for me that I remember. I did have a plastic faced stuffed bear that I loved. It was stolen when our house got robbed when I was in 6th grade. Still miss it and look for it in antique stores.
    I do like the dollar store ducks and bought all the kids vampire ones one Halloween.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I don't remember having one myself. We had some for the boys as they bathed... one that got trashed for mold, and then fully sealed mini ones that we had in all different colors. Yes, song is stuck in my head now..... going to find a new one in Spotify!

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

my children all had rubber ducks for bath time. I don't remember having one myself. I do remember playing with jugs and funnels in the bath as a child though.

6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

50's kid, so my "rubber ducky" was hard plastic and had stuff inside that made a rattling noise. I was TERRIFIED of that darn duck ... I was afraid it was going to split in half along the seam line and whatever was in there was going to get me. Mom put the blasted thing in the bath with me all the time. I had quite the imagination as a kid.

I loved the rubber ducky song back in 1970 and I have it on iTunes ... apparently I didn't love it enough to spend 72¢ to get it on a 45 back in '70 though.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I still have rubber duckies, one for every member of the family.
    Is that weird? In my bathroom, they make me happy.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I do believe both my kiddos had rubber duckies of some kind, but I don't remember ever having one. I loved Sesame Street and Bert & Ernie!

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

This is how I know I am older than most of the ladies here... I was already a teenager when Sesame Street came out! I have never watched an episode of it!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I watched Sesame Street a lot when I was little in the mid 1970's but I don't remember owning a ducky. That doesn't mean there wasn't one. I have a bad memory and don't remember any of my childhood bath toys.
    My kids had some though. And for a while many years ago, one of my kids was collecting those themed little duckies every time they went to the dentist, where they could get them from the prize box after the cleaning and checkup.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Funny story about rubber duckies. When my GS Asher was 2, I waited too late to find Easter eggs (who knew?) and had a stoke of genius to buy rubber duckies to hide. He thought that was the greatest thing ever (bless his 2 yo heart). We hid dozens and dozens of them and he played with those rubber duckies for years in the bathtub. I might have invented a whole new Easter Egg Concept. :perfect:rollin

michelepixels likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I am almost certain I had one for bath time in the late 80’s & early 90’s

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i can't remember duckies myself (i do remember Big Bird, Ernie Bert and Oscar from way back) but i know my kids had them (in the bath and as a photo prop!) and we had a lot of them (yep, the mold!) & often sang the song at bathtime
    [​IMG]

14. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I had mermaid dolls that swam in the tub with me when i was little...
    my kids had a few rubber duckies and other rubber toys as younger kids... till I cut one open one day and saw the mold inside and was so grossed out I threw them all out!!! than we did squirt guns for awhile..and those bath crayons....
    than overnight they grew up!

bestcee likes this.
  15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I can't remember what was the brand of hotels that we got rubber duckies from when B was little and we were there for hockey tournaments!

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes!!!
    I miss bathtime. I like being able to say "Go take a shower" and not having to babysit. But I miss bathtime.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I know my girl had some.

And this thread made me think of this video. James Veitch is a terrible roommate....

Memaw2Wm likes this.