New Recipes | Pad Patter 2.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 21, 2021.

1. adriablack

adriablack Well-Known Member

We seem to try new recipes towards the beginning of a new season. So we try warm comfort food & fall veggies recipes around Oct, soups & slow cooked meals in January, more fresh veggie/fruit meals/quick meals in March or so, and vegetarian meals in July/August (when it just gets too hot to think about meat). As the season seems to progress we revert back to tried and true. Lately, we've done a Tex-Mex style black eyed peas & ham for New Years & tonight we did a broccoli rice casserole.

I tend to be the one that cooks, and with the pandemic I'm burnt out on dealing with the picky folks in the house. My husband cannot eat anything he isn't "craving", so we've never been able to meal plan. Even meals we decide on in the morning often get changed by dinner if the "craving" changes. He's not picky about what kinds of food but it has to be whatever the "craving" is for....which is SUPER ANNOYING. My daughter (7) is developing the same attitude towards food this last year which is just....beyond fair. LOL. She's also super picky. Some days she won't eat ANY meat, some days no starches. And definitely can't be a casserole or have pasta in it (unless it's Kraft Mac and Cheese - and yes it has to be Kraft, no substitutions allowed...). I only typically eat once a day anymore so I've just reached the point of having them tell me what to make because I can't ever make what I enjoy, unless I'm making a second meal for at least one of them.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm struggling the opposite way. I keep trying to cook for 2.5 but Munchkin is pretty much a full meal eater. I really should just go for 4, and have Nick take leftovers to work for dinner.

BevG likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I totally feel you on all of this! Sometimes I will make casseroles, but call them something completely different because my son won't do "casseroles" lol. And same with the mac and cheese...has to be Kraft, which I don't like at all!! DH sometimes eats what I make and sometimes not, if he's not feeling it. But at least when he doesn't, I get the leftovers :)

adriablack likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

This is what I do. I love having leftovers because I don't have to think about what to take to work for lunch the next day. Except I feel like I cook for about 6 because my 15 year old eats for 2 or 3 lol.

bestcee likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@IntenseMagic Sigh. I hope that I don't hit that point! I may never adjust to cooking enough for a teen - I'm having a hard time cooking enough for the pre-teen.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I don't do any cooking in my house, and if I do its a rare occurrence. My husband is the cook in our house. I can cook I just don't like cooking. I think it's because I was a single parent since my son was 6 weeks old, up until me and my husband met 6 years ago. So I like having someone else cook for me.

But that recipe looks so delicious I may have to give it a go. I am the only one in my house that would eat feta cheese, so would have to cook it for myself. The recipe reminds me of one similar I saw on TikTok last week.

Boursin Pasta with added turkey, https://www.instagram.com/p/CLcTR-HhUhH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I have found Shepherd’s Pie again and it makes a great freezer meal for new moms. Pioneer Women”s freezer Shepherd Pie. Makes a 8 x 8 but you could double it or I freeze it in disposable loaf pans and share it with my in-laws. Delicious!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

@IntenseMagic Inspired by your post, I tried that tomato-feta pasta recipe last night. It was really good!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

I'd love to try it again with some added chicken or something. I originally saw it on TikTok as well!
    And I totally feel you on the cooking. I love it when my DH does it. I was a single mom for awhile as well and those days were long!

10. IntenseMagic

Oooh glad you liked it. I'm thinking about making it again soon!

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

This is not a new recipe but I've been recuperating at my parents' house after being hospitalized with multiple pulmonary embolisms 10 days ago, and I asked my mother to make her (COLD) tuna noodle salad. It's just tuna, mayo, noodles, onion, celery, peas, salt, and pepper. It was delicious!

12. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

@LeeAndra Oh my! How scary! Hope you are recovering well.